Author Topic: Lancaster Barn Gun?  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Lancaster Barn Gun?
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:55:04 AM »
I've had the parts for this gun since maybe 1994. Had it in the white since 1996. Had it in a closet from 96 til 2010. Pulled it out after a life changing event and intended to finish it. I had all elaborate carving schemes and even started chipping them out. I had it done from the lock to the butt. I looked at it one day recently and said, "Where's my spoke shave & scrapers?" So I whittled it down some & removed what I had done in the last16 years. :/

I wanted to make it plain like me. I scraped it down. I've never done that before. It's a pretty stripy piece of wood so it came out kinda ripply. I like it and plan to shoot it. It's a .40 x 42" A weight Getz barrel that I've had since you could get one in a week. Actually, it's a take off from a percussion gun a fella by the name of Bill Benke from Michigan built years ago. I lost a bunch of the parts (Bivins brass stuff) in a move  so I had to replace it with stuff that was a little different. The entry pipe was already cut in before it was lost. :/ It's a different butt plate & trigger guard than the original stuff, too (sand cast not that cast bronze $#@*). The lock is a new L&R Classic. It was a Siler if I remember correctly. I don't know what that finish stuff is. It's some "chemical" Salvo had in an unmarked bottle. It burned right thru my rubber gloves... OUCH. I like what it did to the wood though.
What do you think? Wish the pics were better. Sorry. I still ain't no photographer.

added this :
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:11:51 PM by Keb »

Offline Richard Snyder

• Starting Member
Re: Lancaster Barn Gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:08:01 AM »
I think it looks great.

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:16:18 AM »
One thing is for sure, that's no barn gun! Good story and nice gun.  Next time don't rush your build though....take your time.   ;D

Way to stick with it.  Never give up.  Enjoy, J.D.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:17:42 AM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:58:59 AM »
Well if you just can't stand looking at it I can quickly send you my address.... to show you how much sympathy i have for you I'll even pay the shipping costs! ;D ;D :D :D  ::)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 05:23:23 AM »
Nice, typical Lancaster architecture.   Next time stop earlier, forget the carving, the buttplate, sideplate and entry pipe.
Think of all the time you would have saved, and you would still have a great shootin", huntin" gun. Next time give that
a try..............Don

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
Nice gun. I like your scrappered look. I like the volute behind the cheek piece too. You need to keep building. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline deano

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
A good honest gun with a nice piece of wood, now take it hunting, set under a tree and admire your work.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »
Nice, typical Lancaster architecture.   Next time stop earlier, forget the carving, the buttplate, sideplate and entry pipe.
Think of all the time you would have saved, and you would still have a great shootin", huntin" gun. Next time give that a try..............Don
Well, this all happened 16 or 17 years ago. Saving a couple hours over that many years doesn't amount to much. :)

Nice gun. I like your scrappered look. I like the volute behind the cheek piece too. You need to keep building. ;D
I haven't got a camera or skills to show off the scraped look. Wish I did.

I put it on the scale. It's just a tad over 8 lbs. The balance point is midway between lock & entry pipe. It holds pretty good for me in my elder years. The rear sight is a little rear though so I'll just file a big old wide notch in it and ignore it. :/