Author Topic: Belgin dueling pistals  (Read 5980 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Belgin dueling pistals
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »
Just came in my ownership. Any ideas on vaule? All that is on them is a proof mark and refernce to size ball 13mm if I remember right. Need some photos of storage box for them and tools. So I can finish this off right. Some photo up soon. tHESE ARE THEse are the same ones that I ask about micro rifling.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Belgin dueling pistals
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 06:48:02 PM »
Dave,
No one can comment on the pistols until you post some photos.  As far as the case goes, GOOGLE "dueling pistols" on the internet and a number of sites will come up showing antique pistols.  Most of them have French and Belgian pistols in their collections or for sale.  Often they have good photos of the cases. French and Belgian cases were usually different than English ones.  The pistols and accessories (powder flask, loading rod, oil bottle, flint whisk, bullet mold, screw driver) had individual cut outs that precisely fit the shape of the item.  The cases were often lined with velvet.  English cases had wooden partitions that roughly outlined the items and were lined with wool baize.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »
Here is the photos if they come out.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:44:24 AM by David Veith »
David Veith

voyageur1688

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 03:24:00 AM »
  13 mm ? When did they start using metrics? I thought they were more modern than the flit era. but I could be and probably am wrong on that.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:37:26 AM »
That is what is stamp on the bottom flat of the barrel
David Veith
David Veith

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:02:24 PM »
  13 mm ? When did they start using metrics? I thought they were more modern than the flit era. but I could be and probably am wrong on that.

These pistols were never flintlocks. My guess is 1850-1860 but I suspect others who post here know a lot more about this subject than I do.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 09:34:48 PM »
I agree with Gary.  They likely were made in the 1850's-1870's but they could even be later than that.  I doubt they were built for dueling although they could have been used that way. They are probably target pistols, possibly built for export.  The metric system was adopted by western European countries in various forms during the 18th century.  I think the current system was standardized after the French revolution.  Anyway, marking barrels with mm was common in the mid 19th century.  I have a beautiful percussion shotgun made in about 1850-60 with Belgian barrels marked 18mm.  The pistols may have been sold in a case with accessories.  A French-style case would certainly be appropriate.  Thanks for the pictures David.

dave

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
Re: Belgian dueling pistols
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:13:42 AM »
Any  one what to throw some $ # around of what they think they are worth. I know it is how bad the other person what them.  I am just try to come up with a I deal of what I end up with. Yes I new they had never been flint And had a idea on when they where built.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »
Hi David,
No one else seems to be responding to your question about value so I will take a stab at it.  I looked at a number of web sites that offered antique continental percussion pistols to get a feel for their value.  High end pistol pairs with signatures can easily go for $5000-$15,000.  However the value declines rapidly for average quality pistols with no maker's marks.  My guess is that your pistols might sell for around $1000-$1500 and perhaps a little less.  That guess is based on your photos and there may be other details I am not aware of that could change that ballpark figure.

dave

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »
Dave thanks for the stab.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:39:37 AM »
One more ? on these. My thought is this. Asking to keep myself honest.  One has a hamer that is cracked. My thought is to find one like the organl and have it erengraved like the oraginal and replace it. Keep it (old) for when and if I sell them the old one go with the pistals
David Veith 
David Veith