Author Topic: What type of coating goes on a powder horn?  (Read 4217 times)

docone

What type of coating goes on a powder horn?
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »
Is there a finish to put on an horn?
Or, does the shrinking of the material affect the horn itself?

Frank T.

Re: What type of coating goes on a powder horn?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
The last step for me is a good coat of paste wax over the entire horn.  I'm not sure what you mean by shrinkage? The horn material is pretty stable unless it is heated.
Frank Willis

docone

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »
Frank,
I was thinking on a varnish, or Acrylic. Those shrink as they dry.
So, basically, leave them alone.
Sounds good to me.

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
I apply a wiped on coat of shellac, then steel wool some of the shine off before I start antiquing them.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »
I have tried Kiwi brown shoe polish with good results but I prefer a hardwood floor paste wax.

I hit the horns every couple of months or so with the wax to keep em nice.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Horner75

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:59:22 AM »
A coat or two of Johnson's Paste Wax is basically all I've use over the years with excellent results.

Ruck

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
      Understanding that this response is a bit late, but better to be late than never, here is my suggestion: after you have polished the horn to your desired level of luster, apply a thin coating of aqua fortis and using a propane or oxy/acetylene torch gently heat the horn until yellow begins to show.  Applying more heat will deepen the color but beware not to burn the horn.  That can happen fast!  Aqua fortis gives the horn an aged and well used patina.  Additional coats of aqua fortis and heat may be repeated, if required.

Aqua fortis, I believe, can be purchased from Track of The Wolf or you can make it yourself by dissolving iron filing in nitric acid.

After the desired color has been achieved, coat the horn with cedar oil to keep the horn worms away.  Once or twice a year is satisfactory.  The oil also keeps the horn supple.

Renquist Knotcradle,  a pied poudreux of a major kind.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
     using a propane or oxy/acetylene torch

If you do not like the open flame idea, a heat gun works well.

Tim C.