Author Topic: New Goex and Old GRRW powder in a .58 Hawken flintlock  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Herb

New Goex and Old GRRW powder in a .58 Hawken flintlock
« on: September 06, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »
I still have my Hawken, no need to sell it, I sure like shooting it.  Today I tested my usual load of Goex 2F from April 2009  against the new Goex 2F I got at Fort Bridger rendezvous last Friday.  And then some old Green River Rifle Works 2F.  I don't know anything about it, but it works!  Shot from rest at 100 yards, don't know why the big groups.  Must be how I hold the rifle on the bags. Top left target was 120 gr Goex 2F with .562 and .021 linen.  Then the bottom with same powder and .570 ball and linen.  Had to hammer the short starter with a rock. 

The new Goex container- will have to make a new pour spout.  I shot #5 on the  bottom target by mistake.  Note the higher velocity and uniform spread. High sun caused chronograph misreadings.

Old GRRW powder.  It looks as if it will group well.  May have to set the rifle on the bags differently or something.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 12:47:36 AM by Herb »
Herb

Daryl

Re: New Goex and Old GRRW powder in a .58 Hawken flintlock
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
It is difficult to judge with any real accuracy trends from a single group. Statistically, the sample group is too small.  From the large spread in velocity shown, the old powders are not as consistant as the newer powder.  That in mind, I'd suggest that the ball and patch combo is weak as well.  We all use much tighter combinations - and without any loading problems, either with a water based lube, or oil.  I do not understand your having to hammer the starter with a rock when using such a combination (.021" + .570" ball) Perhaps your muzzle is too sharply crowned or the bore is rough?  At the recent rendezvous we attended, I used my .58 which has only .008" rifling, with .023" patch (heavily compressed) and a .573" X .574" ball. I thought it loaded very easily and it's poor quality 3/8" hickory rod survived yet again.

Looks to me that newer GOEX is much more sonsistant than the older stuff.

Even the 'new' GOEX we just bought at Rendezvous is in tin cans - still.

Offline Herb

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
The linen mikes .021 with the rachet but crushes to .014.  The bore is very smooth, and the crown is radiused like you have shown in your posts.  There is aiming error here, maybe I need to make bigger targets.  And I will experiment with resting the forearm farther forward, I held it just ahead of the entry pipe for this.  And held it hard, well cheeked, but not bearing down on the barrel.  Maybe .020 OxYoke will do well.  I sure enjoy shooting this rifle, keep expecting one-inch five shot groups, and believe the rifle will do it, but maybe I can't aim that fiine.
Herb

Offline heelerau

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 01:01:40 AM »
Herb,
         any pictures of the Fort Bridger rondy? Spoke to Neil last week.

cheers

gordon.

Ps shots stringing a bit, I think you are right about a little sighting error.  Looks like a ver nice rifle.  Will be interested in your results. I am still shooting 30yr old Goex. still have the better part of a case.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:38:46 AM »
Hi, Gordon.  I didn't have my camera along, and it was raining some.  Only got to say hello to Carney and Neill, but had a nice visit with Jim Goodman.  I left before tea time to drive home.
Herb

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 01:41:05 AM »
Bench techniques are pretty close to 50% of actual bench accuracy. I find my best shooting is with both feet squarly on the ground, holding the forend in my left hand close to the entry pipe and that hand resting on the front sand bag.  I do this with no rear bag, but both elbows resting on the table's rug.  

With lighter recoiling rifles, ie: .40's, .32's and .45's, I let the forend bounce, resting the entry pipe on the bag alone, not holding it unless I'm sighting in.  I use my left hand for supporting the stock against my face and it also squeezes the rear bag for elevation changes in sighting, when shooting with a free forend.