Author Topic: September Cody Plank Match  (Read 12123 times)

SPG

September Cody Plank Match
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
Gentlemen,

The Wyotes had their September Plank Match last Saturday with Mr. Phariss giving lessons in consistent shot placement. He was using his big Dickert .50 and set a very fast pace. Several spiders were killed by the assembled marksmen and a good time was had by all. Strings are here with an abbreviated equipment list as I forgot to question everyone on what they were using.

Weather was fine with light breezes...2-3 inches was the standard hold-off. The bright sun drove home the value of having shaders on the sights...don't ask how I came to this conclusion. Also, several competitors learned the value of putting more powder in their rifles...there is apparently merit in the old saying of "Load them 'till they crack".

Ten-shot strings, plank rest, 60 paces.

Dan Phariss- 7.541"
Steve Garbe- 9.455"
Bob Jam- 22.979"
Ron Gerondale- 28.627"
Wilson Crawford- 36.290"

Dan Phariss- .50 Phariss/ Dickert flintlock, .495 ball, 120 grains (?) 3FG Swiss, ticking patch, water soluble oil, wiped.
Steve Garbe- .45 King/ Armstrong flintlock, .446 ball, 65 grains 3FG Swiss, .015 ticking, sperm oil, wiped.
Bob Jam- .54 Lyman Great Plains percussion, .530 ball, 90 grains 1 1/2 Swiss, ticking, greased, wiped.
Ron Gerondale- .50 flintlock, .490 ball, 65-90 grains powder, ticking, greased (?), wiped.
Wilson Crawford- .50 Thompson percussion, .490 ball, 60-90 grains powder, ticking, wiped.

Next month's match will be on the first Friday given the 100-shot Schuetzen match being scheduled for the first Saturday. We are still waiting/hoping for some smoothborers to show up and further our education in the fine art of turkey shooting.

Offline LynnC

Re: September Cody Plank Match
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »
Good shooting. 
Any photos of the plank setup or a good description. 
This sounds like a good shooting game for those that don't get up and down for chunk matches so well  ::) 
What are the basic rules?
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

SPG

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
LynnC,

Saw horse crosswise in front of the shooter with a heavy plank rested on it, other end on the ground. The position is kneeling with elbow rest. Not nearly as steady as prone over a log, but much more than offhand.

Basic rules are- Any roundball muzzle loader, charge from the horn (not pre-weighed charges), any pre-1850 iron sight, no false muzzles. Shaders are allowed, turkey target for all shooters, no sighting targets when shooting for score. String measure, measure to center of bullet hole from X on turkey's head. Ten one-shot matches plus an aggregate string match.

The not getting on the ground appeals to older shooters as well as the "any pre-1850" iron sight. Simple aperture sights, like we've all seen on old-time match rifles, mean that those who can't shoot barrel sights can be competitive.
I think Dan Phariss has posted some photos in some other posts on this match. The match is intended to be a traditional-style turkey shoot such as was common in the Northeast. Having shot some log matches under current chunk rules, I find it to be a little more challenging, especially in our winds. You have to have a sighted-in rifle, know where it shoots, and how to hold for the wind...much as you would if you were going to kill a turkey with it.

We've been known to shoot for groceries, turkeys, whisky and...money. It's a hoot and my favorite kind of shooting.

Steve

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
Langhorne R & G shoots next Sunday and they have opened up (had to cut timber) a 75 yd line and I prevailed upon them to start a plank match there we hope to find out next Sunday if they went along with that idea.  God willing and no hurricane.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 03:12:44 AM »
Steve, after three years of chunk shooting at the BC Rendezvous (end of Aug. to holiday weekend) Daryl has let it be known that next year's event is to be a plank shoot.  It's something we've never tried, but I think it'll catch on just fine.  A lot of us are getting long in the tooth, and not having to jump up and down appeals greatly.

Dan, 7 1/2" is a nice string for certain.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:15:21 AM »
Thank you SPG for the detailed description.  So the rifle is supported only by the shooter, no sand.bags or artificial support and "peep" sights are allowed?

I think I can scrounge a saw horse and a plank to practise with ;)

SPG

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:07:21 AM »
LynnC,

Rifle's muzzle is rested on a "V" cut in the plank with the buttstock being supported by the hands/elbows, resting on the plank; much like a cross stick rest shot from kneeling. Rifles with a lot of drop work well in this position.

Peep sights, as long as they are of pre-1850 design, are allowed. This means that a Redfield "Olympic" is not legal, but a simple "lollipop" or barrel strap peep sight is.

The intent is for a traditional match...think "1850" and you will get the hang of it.

The "pouring from the horn" rule is an important one as doing this in a consistent manner is very important for best accuracy.

Steve

Offline LynnC

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »
V cut in plank.  OK, that would make a difference.  Probably covered the V with blanket or something?

I think I have a pretty complete picture of the setup.

Thanks SPG.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Looks to be good scores for your two - the goal is set, for sure.  The higher powder charges Dan uses and therefore less wind drift would be an advantage in your windy State, I'm sure.  It's usualy calm for us in the chunk match- just too dang hot.

We'll probably shoot off 5 planks under the shooting shed roof, each shooter alternating onto his/her own posted target - 5 shots per target, total 10 shots- string measure.

TKS for the note about sights, Steve.  I must write up a 'descripto' for our web site for an explanation on guns etc.  Perhaps I'll write it the same, or just leave ours open sights only.   I do not want the aggravation of a number showing up with TC sights & me sending them back to camp.  We will be restricting this event to our normal trail-walk rifles, ie: leave your 18 pounder at home, Dan - HA!

We'd love to have you guys show up, of course, with anything. If what you bring doesn't meet the rules, I'll let you shoot "The Gentle Lady". She likes powder, too and lots of it.

Man - 7 1/2" is a good string. No flies on just under 9 1/2" either.  Our winner this year in chunk, was 11 3/8", almost 4 3/8"  inches larger than last year's 1st place, Kerry K. member of this site.  This year, it was a LOT hotter. Everyone was suffering from the heat- especially the range officers - HA!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:44:01 PM by Daryl »

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »
Pictures:

Heresssss Dan!

Offline bgf

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »
Heresssss Dan!

Just as I would have suspected.  Dan doesn't even bother to finish them until he knows they shoot straight :)!

SPG

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »
Daryl,

So far our rules at Cody have been verbal...and as we are a small bunch of cutthroats that works well. However, I will get them written down and post them here for the general edification of all. It would be good if plank matches become the new craze, that at least we are all doing the same thing.

Steve

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 11:13:19 PM »
I agree and thanks Steve. a 'list' would be most useful and a common set of rules would be great.  We'll also set our range for 60yards or paces as I step a yard quite easily.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 02:24:30 AM »
Steve, Daryl is hosting a plank shoot next year at BC Rendezvous 2013.  I have a question regarding the set-up...What is the optimum dimensions of the plank - width 'n length, and what height above the ground for the saw-horse/support thingy?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 02:41:49 AM »
An extension of DTS's question, does each shooter adjust the plank for their comfortable shooting height?

And do you have to rest the rifle in the plank notch as opposed to resting the rifle in your palm, back of hand resting on plank?

Al Lapp

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 06:08:23 PM »
Sounds like a fun shoot. I will have to take that into consideration when I put in for my new budget in October. I have to get a machine in anyway so it will be easy to put some more material in front of the shooting bench.  Al

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »
I-too was wondering about plank height. We will have women and Juniors shooting, as well. I can visualize men kneeling high, or lower, one knee or two as need be or the height allows.

That's quite a plank of wood Dan's shooting off. Looks almost like an extra long stock blank.(referring to the thickness, not the branche knots)

Lutes

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 10:51:13 PM »
Now that looks like a fun shoot. Maybe it will catch on!

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 12:03:52 AM »
I'm hoping it will. There has been a LOT of possitive feedback at Rendezvous B.C. Of course, there was for the chunk match, as well. Then, people found they actually had to lay down to shoot, then get up to load, lay down, repeat 8 more times.  At least with the Plank shoot, kneeling is much easier and there is a plank to help you get up - HA!

Offline yip

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 05:12:59 AM »
please explain further.  this sounds like fun, how many planks do ya need, say you have 10 shooters, will one do? and rules, how far away should targets be, how many shots per shooter. is there a special target? from what i gather different groups shoot this differently. this could be fun if played right. just need more info

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 06:08:25 AM »
Steve, please forgive me if I missed something in an earlyer post but do you shoot at an chunk gun type target and post a sighting spot or bub or what ever you want to call it. Or instead do you have a turkey target and shoot at an X on the turkey without using a sighter ?   Smylee

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 05:46:02 PM »

As I understand the shoot, no spotters/sigthers or buds. This is the target. They use one plank. At Rendezvous BC next year, I suspect we'll need 5 or 6 planks. Oh yeah - 60 paces.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:46:40 PM by Daryl »

Vomitus

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
  I'll supply the planks Daryls.Just need length. We have rough fir planks 10 in. wide by whatever length. I'll plane them smooth. They might even be 12",10" for sure.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:04 PM »
Thanks for that target pic and info Daryl. This sounds like it could be an easy match to set up except for those that have to score the target. Fun and oldtimey.     Smylee

doug

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 10:33:21 PM »
I'm hoping it will. There has been a LOT of possitive feedback at Rendezvous B.C. Of course, there was for the chunk match, as well. Then, people found they actually had to lay down to shoot, then get up to load, lay down, repeat 8 more times.  At least with the Plank shoot, kneeling is much easier and there is a plank to help you get up - HA!

the only reason that I have not shot the match for the last two years is that I have not had time to made a rifle with a shotgun style butt plate.  Shooting prone and slightly uphill with a deeply hooked butt plate was down right painful even with light loads.  (50 gr of 3F and 50 cal).   I tried putting a card board pad under the butt but that throws the groups off all to $#*!.  Have to agree with Taylor re old knees and shooting prone although that would not stop me shooting that way

cheers Doug