Author Topic: New to building muzzleloaders  (Read 3990 times)

voyageur1688

New to building muzzleloaders
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:13:12 AM »
 While I have only been shooting muzzleloaders for about 7 years, I am only now starting to get into building them and am enjoying it very much. I am very pleased to have found this site and all the wonderful advice from experienced builders.  I don't want to be a pest, but I feel that on building these, it is better to ask for advice and get a nice finished product than to try it blind and mess up a project out of what should be a fine piece.  We all have to start somewhere, and up here at "the end of the road" there just arent that many people who have experience in this field
 Hope some of you may be able to come up to our rendezvous next fall.
 Thank you to everyone for your patience and advice.
 Todd

Offline P.Bigham

Re: New to building muzzleloaders
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:22:37 AM »
 Todd where is the Rendezvous? Welcome aboard.
" not all who wander are lost"

northmn

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 12:57:06 PM »
Advice is good but sooner or later the chips have to fly.  I have seen some pretty good first guns from people that listen.  One bit of advice is that once a rifle is finished, asking for input is not as important as posting a few pictures while changes can be made.   Building guns is for some a living, some a hobby with sales that support the hobby and then some, and for people like me just a hobby with an occaisional sale.  I would rather work at my job and enjoy the hobby.  That is what is is really all about.  Enjoyment.  Keep that in mind.  Also my builds have to please me first, while I try to follow certain guidelines I build as influenced by a maker and do not ape the maker.  One perspective on building for someone new.

DP

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »
Todd,

You will find that both you and your questions will be welcomed here.  I know that I have learned a lot for the posts I have read.

You first have to decide what you want to use the gun for.  The intended use will drive decisions regarding size, shape, style.  You can't start off with the notion that you want a light hunting rifle and then, half way through the project, decide that a heavy target rifle is a better objective.

A lot of your initial questions regarding the constriuction process can be answered in a number of how-to books.  The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Alexander and Recreating the American Longrifle by Alexander, Buchele and Shumway are the two that I found most helpful.  I don't own Chuck Dixon's book but I have been told it is very good.

There is a tools tutorial here which will help you get started on the array of tools you will need.  You will learn that you workmanship will be limited by your tools so spend wisely.

So, now with the questions.........shoot!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »
Todd, I'll simply echo what the others have said.  I don't post much but read a lot of the threads.  I have yet to see anyone new ridiculed for any question.  I've been involved in several different hobbies over my lifetime and have never seen a group of folks as a whole so dedicated to their art with such a willingness to share the knowledge that they have aquired than those of flintlock rifle builders.  Welcome aboard.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
Advice is good but sooner or later the chips have to fly.  I have seen some pretty good first guns from people that listen.  One bit of advice is that once a rifle is finished, asking for input is not as important as posting a few pictures while changes can be made.   Building guns is for some a living, some a hobby with sales that support the hobby and then some, and for people like me just a hobby with an occaisional sale.  I would rather work at my job and enjoy the hobby.  That is what is is really all about.  Enjoyment.  Keep that in mind.  Also my builds have to please me first, while I try to follow certain guidelines I build as influenced by a maker and do not ape the maker.  One perspective on building for someone new.

DP
Heck yes, don't  make a job out of it! :)

voyageur1688

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:04:38 PM »
 P. BIGHAM- The rendezvous is in (egads) Ely, Mn. --right up at the canadian border due north of the western tip of Lake Superior. We always go for the first full weekend of Oct. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit educational org and have a great time with it.
  The decission for what the gun is for has been made and now its just getting it together. The chips have started to fly, the tools have been made, the finish has been decided, and the inlays have been made (yes I added an extra inlay or 2 from what it came with).
 While not what I would want for a job, it is a great way for me to relax and still have somethimng to show for it, while showing me what several of my ancestors had done.
 The  only dumb question is the one not asked but I have to listen to what is said or it can bite me.
 Flintlockers and Rendezvousers are the best people I have met and now I am finally joining the flintlockers as well.