Author Topic: RAT No 2 Pix Enlarged  (Read 13384 times)

Offline RAT

RAT No 2 Pix Enlarged
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
This is my 2nd rifle. My 1st one was from a pre-carved blank. This one was from a solid blank. I posted a problem over a month ago about the stock being cracked through the rear lock bolt. The crack was worse than I originally thought. I made a repair, but I'm not happy with the gun. I'll consider this a failure and move on to my next one. Anyway, I finally got around to putting it all back together after finishing, so I thought I'd post pictures.

The buttplate is swaged sheet brass.

The lock is a modified R.E. Davis. I replaced most of the 6-40 screws with 8-32. I fabricated a new bridle. And I forged new springs.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:34:30 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: RAT No 2
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
That's a very fine looking gun from this distance!   ;D  Would sure like to see some larger pictures.  I think most here would be pretty happy to have our second gun come out so well.
Andover, Vermont

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
Not a critism, just wondering why you did all the work to the lock. I thought Davis made a respectable lock.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:09:45 PM by Micah »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »
It's too bad about the crack, but the rifle looks very nice.  You might be too
hard on yourself.  I hope you were able to stabilize that crack because it's a
very nicely executed rifle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 06:12:24 PM »
On my computer your gun is about the size of a match stick. But for a gun that size it looks good. I like the color.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RAT

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »
I've tried to resize the images without much success. Sorry. If someone more savvy wants to give it a shot let me know. I can email you the original images.

There wasn't anything functionally wrong with the lock. The bridle had counter bored holes for the screw heads. That didn't seem quite right on a German styled lock. It seemed more English to me. Commercial lock makers use the same internals for different models. I wanted to make it a little more unique, So I changed out the bridal. The mainspring finial was also not quite authentic. Almost all commercial locks use flat spring stock for the sear spring. This wasn't used on original locks. Basically I wanted to bring it closer to the look of an original lock, both inside and out.

You know when you see a gun and say to the builder... "I see you used a Siler." Well... that makes it look the same as a hundred other guns where the builder used the same lock. A little modification  makes the person say... "who made the lock!" That's what I was shooting for.   
Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »
Good work on the lock.  It's fun to make them a little different, and ambitious to forge the springs.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 02:43:03 AM »
What of it I can see I really like. You got talent ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 02:45:47 AM »
One of you brainiacs need to give this poor fella some help....
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 02:59:38 AM »
Need the originals and they have to be larger.  I downloaded one of the tiny ones, blew it up and it was all pixelated.  Need something at least 400 pixels wide.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:09:08 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 06:00:51 AM »
One of you brainiacs need to give this poor fella some help....

..........just put your magnifiers on..........and VIOLA, the pictures are bigger...........

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »
 Send me the pix, directly from your PC not Photobucket in an email and I'll see what I can do with them.

Tim C.

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
As others have said, the rifle looks good from what I can tell by the pictures. I'd be interested to hear how you repaired the cracked stock.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:35:25 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: RAT No 2 Pix Enlarged
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 03:33:54 PM »
Holy cow, your second rifle...and you're doing this kind of work? I'm rather speechless, which is highly unusual.

Your carving is excellent, and so is your stock shaping. I am most impressed on the job you did on your lock, especially making your own springs. The passion you have for this shows. Keep up the good work! Wow.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
Rat,

That's some nice work.  Most impressive for a second rifle!  The lock is beautiful.  Fantastic job.  I'll add just one suggestion...  The carving on the lock side at the comb is a little funky for my taste.  With that said, you find plenty of funky stuff on original work.  Good stuff for sure!

Jim

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 04:37:49 PM »
Very Nice!!   Keep on making more!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline RAT

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Jim... I agree with you about the carving. That wasn't my original design. I was getting a lot of chipping and had to revise the design several times. This is what I ended up with when the wood finally decided to cooperate. I'm not happy with it either.

I started off trying to make my own lock, but I couldn't get it to function. But I learned a lot of lessons from it.
Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
Your work on that Davis lock is outstanding. I usually can't look at that lock in stock configuration with out barfing.  Your stock work and architecture is outstanding also. A super job in every aspect, not even taking into consideration it's your 2nd gun....... :o

Offline t.caster

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
Very well done! You are well on your way now!
Tom C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 10:23:43 PM »
I really like the rifle.  Probably part of the reason it has turned out so well, is your overall philosophy, and I'm reading it this way, "I can't stand mediocrity!"  Your work shows that you've done a lot of research and understand what you see.
I look forward to seeing your next piece.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »
Your work is inspirational! 2nd build, my gosh, given time what could you not do? Im sure we will see even more beautifull work in the future. You have talent. Meanwhile, I struggle along with my first from a blank, and take my time to learn the lessons the hard way, slowly and educationaly motivated, with an eye to the next build.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 12:11:32 AM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »
Very nice work. + one on the lock. Also like how the wood lid is well shaped and not too high.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 09:20:52 PM »
Very nice work indeed. Congradulations on a job well done.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Joe S

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
Dear Mr. RAT

Certain elements of the MHGBG would like to examine this fine weapon in person.