Author Topic: Hunting horn  (Read 2598 times)

Ahtuwisae

Hunting horn
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »
This is a hunting horn I recently completed and engraved with a phrase of my own writing and a scene of a stag and two dogs.  As I had never amde one, I did not choose a nice horn and opted for any ol' horn from the box.  the result was a loss of detail in the scrim. I still ike the result and it sounds very loud.

It is a very eouropean style of engraving and I did the borders and the text with a burrin.  I also added an applied band at the bell and two wire staple for the strap.

The phrase: "With this horn, ye sound the call, Inviting the huntsmen to the sport of kings, and with fervered passion, follow the hounds into the fray."

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
Re: Hunting horn
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
Sweet !!!!! I love this horn and the coloration.  I don't think anything was lost--looks aged and the stag is superb.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:07:55 PM »
 That is a beauty. I especially like the transition into the mouth piece and the extra length added by the band. How about a shot of the inside of the mouth piece? Did you turn the inside or drill it?

Tim C.

PS: Let's not forget the patina, well done.TC
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:19:35 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
That is a great looking horn!  I especially like the finished color/patina.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:10:02 AM »
That is a beauty. I especially like the transition into the mouth piece and the extra length added by the band. How about a shot of the inside of the mouth piece? Did you turn the inside or drill it?

Tim C.

PS: Let's not forget the patina, well done.TC

Tim...I drilled the hole through and then turned the inside with a small round-nosed scraper.  Here are two pics of the tip.