Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Horse Rifle Idea  (Read 8351 times)

Offline Long Ears

Rocky Mountain Horse Rifle Idea
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
So I need some input, suggestions and possible direction for research. I have a "Brigade" if you will of fellas that really get into the Trekking/ reenacting here in Idaho. We are in the time frame of between Lewis and Clark and the big Beaver Trapping Rendezvous. Almost all of the travel out here would have been on horse back as we do today. These gentlemen have as close to period saddles and pack gear as we can research. A couple of them actually trap all winter and we all set up one beaver trapping camp for a long weekend in period clothing. Quite an experience fishing your catch out from under the ice in wool leggins and moccasins.

What we have determined is it's nearly impossible to lead a pack string while riding and carring your rifle in your arms. Remember we are not traveling down the county lane to grandma's house. There is a considerable amount of bull brush and really steep rocky terrain to maneuver. So here is the Gun Building part of this story. We want to build a weapon something that fits the title of this thread but would fit the time frame as well. My first issue is how many 18Th and early 19Th century flint rifles had slings? How were they attached? How long would the western rifle's barrel be? Smooth or rifled? What caliber?

We are thinking along these lines:
36" Oct to Rnd Barrel
58 - 62 Cal.
Smooth bore
With sights
Chambers Late Ketland Lock
White lightning liner
Single trigger
Steel furniture
Sling Button and front sling loop.
A stock profile like a French Fowler???????
I'm the guy who gets to build the first two for testing and I would like some ideas or suggestions. Thanks, Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Rocky Mountain Horse Rifle Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »
If you want to build a handy rifle, I'd suggest an English half stock rifle.  It will be comfortable to shoot in any caliber.  If you want to build something period for that timeframe and place, a Hawken rifle fits the bill and a 34-36" barrel would be fine.  Most of the rifles sold to Rocky Mountain beaver trappers were fullstocks with about 44" barrels in .53-.54 caliber and they were on horseback.  Maybe the brush is worse nowadays.

I would not favor making something up.  A French styled buttstock would be an unusual approach given that French rifles are unknown in the Rocky Mountain west.  But if you do want to make something up to fit your needs, anything can be considered.

If you are not interested in a rifle as the title suggests, then an English Northwest gun with a 36" barrel in 20 ga would be the ticket for me.  It really depends on whether you want a rifle or smoothbore.  Most American brigades would have rifles.  In the west, from all accounts, a rifle would be far better for everything but running buffalo.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:27:59 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
Bob,
having come across this quite a bit in the past,
having somthing not shaped like a french anything would be more of the time frame
your seeking,maybe something built along the Hawken shape or J Henry or Bolton
type stock, smooth bore would sure handle any need from buffalo to grouse,
we all know most mtn men type flintlocks had longer barrels, but whos to say
that a cut down one made to serve a specific purpose didnt happin?
single trigger and steel furniture would certainly be worth the effort,
i have a pattern in my shop you should take a peek at
Mark
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »
I'd go with a fullstock flint Leman with a ~30" barrel.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
 A quick and easy way to get a horse rifle or heavy brush gun
is to find a used 58 caliber Enfield carbine. Rugged construction,short
barrel,25" I think and a strong lock and big,easy to handle caps.
Another type for the flintlock user is a short "Stutzer"type in 54 caliber and full stock
with a steel rod and a small,fast lock. I think they were called Schweitzerfeldstutzer
of 1805. I once made 6 locks for a group of these for a group of ski shooters.Five for
guns and one spare. That was over 30 years ago.

Bob Roller

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »
Consider 1792 Contract rifles, which could be re-locked to the 1812 lock or later.

Don Stith makes kits for these.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
Good ideas above.  I think the Lemans were mostly later than the fur trade era though they can be a pretty handy rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »
Using Gunsmiths of York County by James Whisker as a reference, I'd consider the rifle pictured by Jacob Doll on page 145. It is a good example of a govt. contract rifle of which I consider to be called a "short rifle" coinciding with Lewis & Clark time period a a little later as well. According to info provided, Doll, Jacob Leather, Henry Pickel and Martin Fry received a contract for 100 rifles. The pictured example scales out to be at close to 36"s, has sling attachments, a large Siler similar lock, Bivens similar buttplate and trigger guard, single trigger, patch box, Octagon to round barrel with sights, no carving...just nice simple lines and stock pattern looks to be Lancaster.

I have a 45" 58 cal flint rifle that balances great for me but it's length on a horse would not be as practical as shorter version. I know when I hunt in brush etc. I prefer my rifle to be between 32"s and 36's.

Good luck.

Ray

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 12:29:45 AM »
Yeah, there is a lot to be said for a 32" as far as handling goes. I don't imagine the horse will appreciate it much, whatever the barrel length.  >:(
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:46:42 AM »
A stock profile like a French Fowler?
Long Ears,
Contrary to other opinions, your list is spot on, except for maybe the lock and steel hardware.  Given the time period you portray, more than 80% of the men involved in the Rocky Mtn fur trade were French or Iroquois confederation displaced west after the F&I and Indian Wars.  There were very few Anglos.  They brought their guns with them and most were French guns.

If you want real information, your best bet is to look up Dean Rudy's Mountain Man list or Angella Gottfried's NorthWest Company list.  You don't say if you are an AMM member, but most of those guys are on Dean's list and it contains most of the noted authors and historians of the that era.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Carper

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 04:56:55 AM »
Long Ears:  Iam very interested in your post. I have spent a lot of time breaking horses to be shot from and carrying a longrifle on horseback. I would very much like to know how you are carrying your rifles in actual use on horse. The standard picture of the rifle balanced over the saddle and being held in one hand, I would agree with your premise, is so tireing that it makes a nice picture but is not a practical way for real long term carry. My folks made rifles  for family members going into the deep west  in the 1860-s and about all the guns that went and came back for modern reunions were cut off even with the thimble or about eight inches. I thinks this made the rifle short enought not to interfere with the horses knee if the rifle was slung from the front of the saddle but not so high as to knock your teeth out if you had any trouble with the horse. The rifles were still too long for the scabbard so popular for the winchesters but could be slung vertically on the side of the pommel.  The US army determined that it was very tiring for the rider to carry his rifle slung on his back ( unlike some european countries) I would have to think that trappers riding a lot would come to the same conclusion. I have never been able to use a sling over the shoulder on horseback at all. I very much like to here your comments on how you find the best way to carry your rifles  in the historical framework you described. I think some of the extensive forarm wear you occasionally see was actually from the rifle hung over the side of the saddle  and not balanced over the pommel as seen in paintings etc.    Johnny

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:29 AM »
Carper, good information! Thank-you, as you well know packing a long barreled rifle on horseback while leading a packstring and still holding your reins is impossible. Like texting, drinking coffee and driving down the highway, you're gonna have a big wreck. Then a Blue Grouse boils up along side of the trail, wow >:( Those men had to have fabricated some type of a sling system. One of our group has a Caywood .58 rifle with a 30" barrel. with it slug across his chest we were able to place the front sling attachment to where the barrel doesn't stick above his head. When he bends forward to clear a branch the barrel stays tight against his back. The butt stock barely hangs below his saddle blanket at the horses flank. I would think it would be tough to hang it from the pommel without getting a lead rope or a branch under it and launching it down the mountain. Some of us tried hanging the rifle upside down slung across the chest. The darn barrel keeps getting hung in the brush and launches us and the rifle down the mountain. We are convinced they had to have had 30 -34" barreled rifles. I wish someone would have documented some of this interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure the brush is no thicker today than it was 200+ years ago. We just gotta figure it out like I know they did.

If the fires keep burnin we won't have any timber or brush left after the summer of 2012. But we will have some nice Horse Rifles.

timM

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 06:18:29 AM »
Long Ears,

Sounds like you and your friends have the experience necessary with guns and horses to make an informed call on overall length.  IMO anything with a 36” barrel or longer o/a length tied off on a horse would be a constant chore......pita! Like Johnny mentioned, my favorite carry is butt forward, for me on the near side and that is not close to workable with a 36” barrel. 

Possibly a button hole sleeve over the horn would allow for a viable carry break in country with no heavy cover with a longer overall length gun? It would be easily retrievable when you had to get small.

I once owned a late Nick Beyers rifle that showed extreme wear, interesting part is that it had a hooked breach and an intentional two piece fore stock.  It easily took down into two pieces with the RR stuffed into the barrel.  That rifle probably had about a 36” barrel. Not ready for instant use but completely packable in the horse era. Just some thoughts, tim

Offline RAT

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
Several Alfred Jacob Miller paintings clearly show longrifles slung on the backs of mountaineers (keeping in mind he was painting in the "romantic" style). When I scaled his painting I determined the average barrel lengths to be approx. 38".
Bob

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
I don't have any experience with horses, but I do know that back east in the southern colonies/states and into the Tennessee-Kentucky-Ohio areas people rode horses pretty constantly during the 18th century and they did so with rifles with 40+ inch barrels, so it has to be possible. I also know that some reenactors over on Frontier Folks - Jesse Mains for one - own horses. You might drop them a line or two and ask about how they carry a longrifle on horseback.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

4ster

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »
Snip %<
I wish someone would have documented some of this interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure the brush is no thicker today than it was 200+ years ago. We just gotta figure it out like I know they did.

If the fires keep burnin we won't have any timber or brush left after the summer of 2012. But we will have some nice Horse Rifles.

Actually the brush is probably a lot thicker today than 200 years ago.  The historical fire frequency lead to stands that tended to sparsely spaced large fire resistant trees with fire "trimmed" brush and grasses on the ground in most regions.  If the native population wasn't actively setting fire to improve habitat for hunting, they at least were not fighting fires.  In most area's we would not recognize how different the forest cover looked before we started excluding fire from the landscape.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
Rat, thanks for you thoughts and work off of Miller's paintings. We have studied them also. I just wish there were other artists that would have documented more factual observations of the era. Were the people he portrayed the leaders of a brigade and not the average working man? There are a ton of questions for sure.

Elnathan, We know well you can ride a horse with a Long Rifle in your arms or across the saddle. A guy could carry a small piano for a short period of time. (kidding  ;)). However in my younger day if the bet had been large enough I would have tried! The biggest question I have is day after 20 mile day on horseback while leading a pack string what would have been the ideal weapon. I know they never had much of a choice nor the funds to pay for their wishes but  I believe when they were at Fort Bent they would have had a Blacksmith/ Gunsmith trim more than one barrel.

This is a great discussion, thanks everyone for your thoughts. Bob

eddillon

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 06:59:05 PM »
I don't know when and if those beatiful 1804 Harper's Ferry rifles were declared surplus.  If they were, what a fine choice they would be.  IMHO the prettiest rifle ever.  Would be handy on a horse.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
You might try checking with The Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, NE.  They might be able to direct you to more detailed info.  http://www.furtrade.org/

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 02:48:10 AM »
A stock profile like a French Fowler?
Long Ears,
Contrary to other opinions, your list is spot on, except for maybe the lock and steel hardware.  Given the time period you portray, more than 80% of the men involved in the Rocky Mtn fur trade were French or Iroquois confederation displaced west after the F&I and Indian Wars.  There were very few Anglos.  They brought their guns with them and most were French guns.
Baldersdash! You want real info here's some and yes all can be verified via the sites you listed as well as other resources, both online and in books:
1) While it's true the majority of those in the western fur trade were of French, Creole, or mixed blood/Indian heritage, including members of several displaced tribes such as the Iroquois, Shawnee, and Delaware, it was the Anglo British who controlled the upper Missouri (and Great Lakes) fur trade after the Seven Years War and up until the Treaty of 1818. In fact L & C met British traders at the Mandan and Hidatsa villages when they first arrived in 1803. Thus it was British goods and not French goods, including guns and rifles, that pre-dominated in the western fur trade during the era in question and not the French. Those are well doumented facts. While there MAY have been some French guns used and/or traded, based on our current knowledge base they were not common at all since most of the supplies during this era, came from England with some from American made goods. Major suppliers to the west during this period were based in Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Kaskaskia, with satellites in St Louis.
2)  On the return of L & C in 1806 they met two Anglo American trappers, Forest Hancock and Joseph Dickson, who were headed to the Yellowstone River. Famed explorer/mtn man, John Colter joined them at that point. On his return down river in 1807, he again returned up river with the first fairly large American based fur trade expedition of about 50 men, led by Manuel Lisa where he established the first American trading post, Ft Raymond on the Big Horn River. Lisa went back down river in 1808 and returned in 1809 with a much larger expedetion of about 350 men - according to American hunter, Thomas James http://user.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/html/james/jamesint.html half were American Anglo with the balance being Half French/Creole from St Louis and Kaskaskia, the French/Creole being mostly boatmen and camp keepers while the Anglos were the hunters and trappers. This second expedtion was under the control of the Missouri Fur Company, whose directors included Pierre Choteau, William Clark, and Alexander Henry. James noted regarding supplies for the Americans:
"We Americans were all private adventurers, each on his own hook, and were led into the enterprise by the promises of the company, who agreed to subsist us to the trapping grounds, we helping to navigate the boats, and on our arrival there they were to furnish us each with a rifle and sufficient ammunition, six good beaver traps and also four men of their hired French, to be under our individual commands for a period of three years. By the terms of the contract each of us was to divide one-fourth of the profits of our joint labor with the four men thus to be appointed to us."
3)  In 1811 two American expeditions went up river: the second Mo Fur Company expedition led by Alexander Henry and J. J. Astor's Pacific (later American) Fur Company's first expedtion, led by William Price Hunt. Three American trapper's, Hoback, Reznor, and Robinson, members of  the Henry expedition were some of the first trappers to work the western Wyoming, Eastern Idaho area. While returning to the Bighorn, they met and guided Astor's expedition which was the first to enter what is now southern Idaho via the Snake River. Their intention was to find a land passage to meet up with Astor's west coast expedtion which went by sea and set up a post at what is now Astoria, Oregon. Astor was going into competition with the Brits who had been exploring what was later to be the Oregon Territory by 1807. The first such expedtion was led by David Thompson of the North West Company. The WPH Expedition made it on foot to Astoria after having lost their canoes and most of their supplies on rapids of the Snake River in southern Idaho. A mid-20th Century archeological search found the site of the wreck and gun relics were retrieved - NW guns and Pa/Ky rifles. Hoback, Reznor, and Robinson, left the WPH expedition near Henry's Fort in eastern Idaho and were found destitue in the summer of 1812, by the east bound Astorian expediton led by Robert Stuart. He resupplied them and the three continued to trap there until 1813 when they were killed by Indians. Edward Robinson was 66 years old at the time - he had lost his hair to Indians as a young man in Kentucky and his life to Indians in the west.
4) By 1813 American companies were driven out of the western fur trade due to the War of 1812. The Brits and their Indian allies chased them out of the area and kept them out until after the war ended and effectively kept them out for several years after until the Treaty of 1818.
Anyway those are the major fur trapping expeditions that explored the area during the period prior to the 1822 and later. The facts are that the Brits and Americans, including many "Anglos" were there during the period and the majority of the fur trade supplies, even during the war, were of British manufacture with some American made supplies - but the Indians being traded with, for a long time (well into the 1830's) preferred Britsh made firearms of all types over all others, in particular the NW guns,.
As for references as TOF noted there are period journals and one 1809 trade list for the period available here:
Journals - http://user.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/mmarch.html
Included are the journals of James as noted above, John Bradbury, Wilson Price Hunt, Irving's Astoria, Menard, Ross, and Tomas.
Trade lists: http://user.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/bizrecs.html
Astoria Inventory and the Records of Mo Fur are available

Now to the original question re; firearms of the period and place in question:
First decision would be how HC/PC documented you want to be? If the answer is well documented then the following is my observations based on the currently known historical record for that period and place. NOTE: note the period you are interested in is very short - compromising the years 1806-1813 inclusive.
As Rich noted above, at this time most American "Anglos" and many Indians, especially those from the east, were adamantly users of rifles, most looked down their noses at smoothbores and considered them useful only for running buffalo. So the IMO first decision to be made should be based on who you are representing - Anglo, Indian, or mixed blood or a mix of those types. For the Anglos a rifle is by far the most well documented, if Indian or mixed blood - rifle or smoothbores are well documented.
We are thinking along these lines:
1) 36" Oct to Rnd Barrel - a bit on the short side for the period for most firearms, American made rifles or smoothbore, of the period except for English sporting rifles, which were available via the Brits and some American traders and they often had shorter barrels. The Model 1803 HF did have a short 33" barrel but were not legally available to the public until May 1825. For civilian  rifles and NW guns, 42-46" were by far the most common lengths with some 38" lengths recorded, including the Indian contract rifles of 1807 which are described as following by Trench Coxe of the US Gov't Purveyors office in a letter to makers Jacob Dickert and Henry DeHuff:
"They are to be common, plain rifles, substantially made. The barrel to be three feet two inches in length.....The calibre such as to fit balls of half an ounce weight (.54" caliber)....The barrel to be preferred round (instead of eight square) from the tailpipe or lowere thimble to the muzzle. (i.e. Oct to rnd).
Major makers of Indian contract rifles from 1806 to 1812 were Deringer, Dickert, Gonter, Goetz, and Gumpf.
While some rifles, both American and English, had Oct/Rnd Barrels most by far were swamped, even the half-stocked English rifles.

2) 58 - 62 Cal. - well documented for English SP rifles. smoothbore NW Guns, and fowlers of the period but large for American rifles which were most often 50-54 caliber.

3) Smooth bore - see note above re: your choice of representation

4) With sights - both rifles and smoothbores are documented with sights
5) Chambers Late Ketland Lock - a good, well documented style of the period whether NW gun or American made rifle. On English SP rifles also good but a waterproof pan style may be more appropriate.

6) White lightning liner - While some guns of the period are recorded as having liners, by far the majority did not - they were either straight drilled or inside coned.

7) Single trigger - well documented on all types of the period, although many American rifles did use double set triggers

8) Steel furniture - By far the most common fittings were of brass, whether smoothbore or American made rifle. The only well documented steel/iron fittings of the period would have been found on English SP rifles or Southern made American rifles of the period.
9) Sling Button and front sling loop - They can be documented for some types of the period but not well. Yes Miller does show them being used, but Miller's prints are way late (1837) to be used as documentation for just about anything for the 1806-1813 period/
10) A stock profile like a French Fowler - not even close for the guns, whether smooth bore or rifle of the period. Dependent on other choices a Lancaster style, NW gun style, early So Mtn style like the Jos Bogle rifle, r English trade or Sporting rifle style would be the most appropriate.
As for the Hawken (although similar to an English rifle in many respects) or Leman the style, they are too late for this period - both not really being developed until the mid-1830's. The 1792/95 is also a good style for the period, but it was a military and not a civilian firearm

My best suggestions dependent on your choice of documented representations would be:
1) Smoothbore - an early Barnett style NW gun, in 58 or 62, which is VERY well documented for the time and place.  Based on your "desires" this would seem to be the easiest, most logical choice.
2) Rifle - A Penna rifle of the period as made by Dickert, Deringer, or others would be the most likely used, Stocked in maple, with a 38-42" swamped barrel in 54 (58 would be possible but not common, with brass fittings.
The Indian contract rifle as described would be a good second choice and if you're set on steel iron fittings then either a half-stock English sporting rifle or the So Mtn ala Bogle would be the only well documented choices of the period.
Now if you are not really interested in being well documented for the period and just want a user gun that sorta kinda looks period (nothing wrong with either approach except when presenting one's self to the public in an educational scenario, then IMO the documented approach is the correct one) then ignore what I've posted and go with your original choices except IMO the French fowler stock style - that's just not right LOL!
FWIW - since the late 1960's I've traveled over much of the old western mtn man trails on horseback from So Canada to No Mexico and from the Plains to the West Coast - through short grass prairies, sage brush flats, pinyon/juniper country, and the  thick forest and brush of the Rockies and Cascades. I've carried at times a late Sam Hawken style with a 34" barrel , a NW gun and a Jake Hawken rifle with a 36" barrel, but most often a full-stock flinter, either Hawken or Penna style, with a 42" barrel - in my experience the main thing is to just go out and use them and pretty soon even the longer barrels will become an extension of one's self. I've carried them slung at times, but most often across the pommel either by hand or with one of the simple horn loops illustrated in the Museum of the Fur Trades Mt man Sketchbook I .

Anyway there's some historical info and my opinion... take the latter as you will...........

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Carper

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 04:36:40 AM »
Mr.Burrows: The loop that you mention, I have never seen an original. Is it fastened in front of the guard or around the wrist of the rifle? I have logged many miles all in south Western Va on mule with a hogrifle atote. Being the 3rd most wooded state in the union,trees have been the bane of across the pommel and of course even a steady animal shys or stumbles a little and I sometimes I need both hands on the rein. I just never could get comfortable with the rifle across the saddle, But then I have ridden strictly in the tree covered , steep of hills and hollows of WV and never seen a plains. I have found that a cord fastened around the rifle in front of the guard and fouling up against the bow and then the rifle slung fairly vertical with the cord attached across the pommel to the off side( eastern style farm saddles of later 1800 had  no horn) gives good ,safe service with barrels 38-40 inches hanging almost down.  The problem that I cant solve is the cord has to be removed to see the sights and while only a minor detail today , I would think could be life and death in the past. Any insight is appreciated     Thanks  Johnny

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 04:51:48 AM »
Chuck, Thank-you very much! I'm going to need some time to absorb it, this is a great read. I will also print this out and hand it out to our "Brigade". One more question, Have you or are you writing a book of your experiences in the west? The journey's you have made on horseback sound fascinating. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. Let the debate begin. Bob