Author Topic: Fellow Builders  (Read 19429 times)

George F.

Fellow Builders
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:11:07 AM »
What gives?  Where is everybody? Besides shoveling/plowing snow, chipping ice, Christmas shopping, or wrapping presents? This is the winter, let's see some more winter projects! What about me?  ... Well, I am a terribly slow learner on a computer. My nephew has tried a few times to teach me how to post pictures, but with little success. Tha'ts my excuse and I'm sticking to it.    ....Geo.              P.S. I have one smoothie done minus the engraving, and a P.A. Fowler nearly done, again minus the engraving, and a J. Atland   rifle on the bench still in the square. I have been busy though.     ...Geo.

voyageur1688

Re: Fellow Builders
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 02:39:45 AM »
 Like so many others I am spending alot of time conteding with that dreaded white stuff. A foot and a half so far and another foot on the way this weekend. But will be working on a winter project, between the snow and stoking the woodstove.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 03:48:58 AM »
OK here's my .02.  I have finally finished a horn, am working on a bag, and attempting to finish 2 half stocks from parts from my late father-in-law"s stash. One for my nephew and the other for who knows? After that I have a plan but we'll wait and see. Oh yes and moving my shop into another part of the basement at a slow pace! Good thing employment is scarce ::)
Bruce

jim m

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 04:44:07 AM »
don't know about anyone else, but it's very cold and my shop is in an unheated garage. working on a york rifle at present but about thirty minutes at a time is all my arthritic joints will take the cold. my other excuse is that I'm just plain broke, and money is tight so making do with what I have on hand. do check the forum almost daily.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 08:51:30 AM »
I just finished a W. PA rifle in the style of David Morton but the pictures arn't very good.  Hard to find a good day outside. I'll post it when I can.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »
I am at the present, putting together a " Little Feller's" rifle from Barbie and Jim. It has a wonderfull cherry stock. This is a first, I have never dealt with cherry before. The end grain sure is tough. I am thinking of giving the wood the lye treatment, if I can locate some lye. The other option is to go shovel snow!!!!
JOHN ZUREKI

George F.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
I once worked with an elderly man ( I was 34 at the time) he was in his early to mid sixty's. His hands showed a lifetime of hard work and abuse.. where the skills locked in his memory, and his body no longer able to perform the tasks so easily done in his youth. The knuckles on his hands were enlarged and bony. The fingers no longer pointer straight from their origin to their terminus. How frustrating it must of been, yet he was very accepting to his condition. Now in my approaching 60th birthday, I to have signs of arthritis in my abused hands, and emphasize with that elderly man of my youth, though not as severe as his .  My heart goes out to those that suffer from this aflication.   ...Geo.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:04:55 PM by George F. »

George F.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 05:03:38 PM »
I read on here that some use oven cleaner, I guess it contains lye. But it's best to hear from someone who has used this method, which I haven't.   ...Geo.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
As you may have guessed, I am still still still working on my jaeger. Also making some small items for sale for the next two shows I go to, plus trying to keep the machining business customers satisfied, plus making some Christmas presents, plus baking and partying and trying to clean house and teaching my woodworking class and getting the Christmas tree set up, oh, and try to fit in a couple of apple pies. Other than that, not much going on. Everyone here is healthy and happy. My kids are in their teens, and are a hoot. My mom is doing well, as my siblings are. Hoping to see lots of family in the coming days.

I send my best wishes to all of you, and hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Bill Ship, you skeered to photo your gun in the snow?

We just got about 8" snowfall last night. Beautiful. Another storm coming on Sun, I hear.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

George F.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 05:19:25 PM »
Boy Tom, You ARE a busy man!!!..........Geo.

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
I would rather have that snow than these ice storms! We finally melted off from 5/8 inch of the toughest ice I've seen in many years. It shut my shop down and in for 4 days! Even the postman couldn't get down into our valley. Started out as big heavy sleet and mixed with rain. Oh well, its gone now thank goodness. I'm trying to steal hours here and there to work on my Lehigh huntin rifle. Finished the wire inlay last weekend and did the first stain to check for "yuk" spots. Still tryin' to figure out how to upload pictures. At least I finally got the photobucket thing set up.
Susie
(Still being drug by the hair into the 21st computer century)

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »
My current build sort of stalled with my kids back to school, hunting and the holiday season and oh yeah, work.  Happens that way every year. Looking forward to getting going again after New Year. 10 inches of snow yesterday in Detroit.

lew wetzel

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »
i have been busy with work,getting ready for the holidays,first x-mas with my kids in 7 yrs so i want this one to be extra special..
 i did build myself a new building bench and installed track lighting above it and re-did the layout of my shop.picked up a nice maple blank off jim kibler and gonna start building a hermann rupp rifle after the first of year.i have bought a few new books for the library and ordered the kra vol.1 issue 1 cd.got some new chisels and have been honing them razor sharp.so i have been busy.
 hope everybody has a safe and relaxing holiday!!!! 

Offline Longknife

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
If I posted picture of all my projects it would overload the system!!!!!...Happy Holidays to all...........Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »
I have done nothing on rifles or accoutrement's since Oct. I have been on TDY since Oct 22 and will be going home for the Christmas week. My mom who will turn 82 on Monday will be flying out to spend the Christmas break with me then back to work. By brother is sending me his still unfinished CVA 20 gauge SXS shotgun kit he got for his birthday from his ex 20 some years ago as my Christmas present. My gift to him is a custom F & I era pipe tomahawk which I will not get finished until after Feb or March - he will only get a picture for now. The house needs attention as does the car & motorcycle all will have to wait for now.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all  ;D ;D ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Trkdriver99

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
I finished a couple of knives for my 2 brother-in-laws for Christmas, made some simple sheaths for them. Deer antler and sheep skin. I have to help a friend make a "lovable loo" for his wife for Christmas, they have a rustic cabin in the woods and she don't want to go to the woods. It is a composting inside john. I will be off for about 4 weeks, sure hate that(ha ha). Got a lot of stuff to do. Going to some SAR stuff and clean my basement.  I got wood for stock but not everything else yet including the nerve to start my first build.
Y'all have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous New Year.

Ronnie

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 10:49:16 PM »
Been busy as the dickens at work, moving to new offices in downtown Atlanta, Taking and EMT-Basic course, getting ready for Christmas, mentoring a couple of sets of Step-family parents........and even got in a couple of evenings to carve on my Peter Berry....I hope to be able to finish it after everyone goes home from the Christmas festivities here.

I think this is the first time I have had a chance to log on in a month!!!!  This is too busy.....we are in a recession, my 401K is worth 40% less, my house worth 20% less......Whats wrong with this picture?? ??? ???

Guess I need to get back to carving on that rifle!! ;D ;D

Merry Christmas.....I am grateful for you all!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

J Shingler

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 01:09:54 AM »
I have been busy too but unfortunately not in the shop. Hopefully that will change tomorrow. I need to get out there and get busy and I have this week off! Wahoo!. We slow down big time at work after the first of the year so that should help with shop work. As for the snow you all are talking about we have not seen much at all. Had a good bit of ice and colder than I can ever remember a Dec being. I did good at our local Christmas meat shoot winning 5 1 lb packs of bacon, two Cornish hens, and two packs of sausage. However it never got out of the teens and the wind was blowing with windchill well below zero. Low tonight in the single digits.  Brrr   But the Wall gun projects begins in force tomorrow. I am excited!
J Shingler

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »
"I did good at our local Christmas meat shoot winning 5 1 lb packs of bacon, two Cornish hens, and two packs of sausage."

How about that Partridge in the pear tree??

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

J Shingler

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 01:35:39 AM »
Nope but that little hen looked like someone put the turkey in the dryer and shrunk it!
Jeff

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 05:08:52 PM »
Hey, -13 in Iowa last night, might get up to +5 today if we're lucky. 29 for tomorrow, of course then it will snow. It's been that cycle for the past month, freezing ass cold then warm up and snow. I spend all my time blowing out the drive way, getting the wife's vehicle unstuck, chipping ice that is "4 thick on the side walk, Hauling water to the livestock in 5 gallon buckets, knocking ice out of waterers....well you get the idea. Cripes I wish global warming would come back.  Had a 1/2 dozen sparrows all dead in a row on the floor were they froze to death and fell off the manure rail.....never seen that before.  Chickens are doing fine though! ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:14:57 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
Oh, I do actually do a little work too, check out my website for "what I've been up to lately". Got one of my Carolina guns on the bench at the moment, those are always fun to build. I have a Stevens 44 1/2 by CPA to stock up into a full blown Pope style schuetzen rifle with interchangeable barrels. 32-40 , 38-55 , and maybe a 25-20SS if I feel froggy (and rich) enough. Sure wish Johnny Getz was still making barrels, I'd love to have him make the barrels for that project!  Always something to do around here!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:18:39 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

George F.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »
Yeah Mike, that sure sounds cold to me. I take it your shop is heated some how, maybe by burning buffalo chips.   ....Geo.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »
Another 28 gauge smoothy on the bench and I get at it when I feel like it. No pressure to finish it.   Drilled and tapped the tang bolt last night and got her centered near perfect with my hand drill with that success I laid her down for the evening.!    Life is good! :)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »
Finished up a Virginia rifle (posted pics earlier) and am just finishing up the patchbox (brass) on a Beck.  Holidays are always busy, work is always busy but thankfully no trips lately, getting ready to watch as many Bowl games as I can fit in...   Been doing some hunting as well and was lucky enough to harvest two nice (for me) 8 pts this year, one with a 15" spread and one with a 16" spread.

Bill S.  Can't wait to see the new rifle pics...

Mike B.  You need to get some stock tank heaters, lugging water like that gets really old, LOL...
Ed Wenger