Author Topic: Fellow Builders  (Read 19427 times)

northwoodsdave

Re: Fellow Builders
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »
Yep, work has me hopping too, so I haven't been doing near what I would like with the guns.

I have gotten all the basic parts for my first real build, an early Trapper style pistol. I'm going with a .54 cal octogon barrel and walnut stock.  I'm going to inlet and install the barrel, lock (a Queen Ann Flint) and trigger, then decide whether I'm going with brass or iron triggerguard and thimbles.

I did order myself a Christmas present:  a two burner propane smithing forge.  So I may just make those simpler parts myself.

As I say, it's my first real build (other than a couple of kits) so I will probably be asking you all a LOT of questions!

David L

northmn

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 06:55:38 PM »
While I don't have to be out in it, weve had several nights now hitting -20 with warm up to maybe 0 during the days.  Digging out of one early blizzard and a smaller storm following.  Got a new little Kubota tractor and have really had to put it through the paces.  Firewood piles don't look very big anymore.  Got most of the parts and will start building my English inspired 58 after the Holidays.  Have two daughters with birthdays in December, wifes birthday, mother in laws and one grand child also born in December.  May do some remodeling on some rifles already built.  Deer season was a bust this year but I did do some stand changing.  This winter looks like it will be thinning the deer herd a little.  They have had some problems with deer with bovine tuberculosis in the NW.  this may help clean that up.

DP

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:50 PM »
17 this morning in Marietta, GA ..up to 25 now at noon!!  Hey this ain't Iowa!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:28 PM »
If I could just stay home long enough to find my work bench I would make some progress on my delusion of an early Antes rifle.  I'm in London right now wishing I was home!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »
Mike, this reminds me, my friend when a very young man, was sent out for the first time on his own to collect dried buffalo chips to burn in the stove. Living in Kansas, they burned chips much as we use wood out East. Anyway, he came back with a wheelbarrow load and dumped them in the box near the stove.

Well, it turned out these weren't dry----they were just frozen. When thawed, they made quite a mess and raised quite a stink!

Merry Christmas one and All!

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 12:34:06 AM »
My shop is the back porch.  I need some snow to melt before I start building again. 8)

Offline elk killer

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 02:30:04 AM »
up before daylight,,hunt ducks for 2 hours,,split wood for about a hour,,breakfast,, into the shop until about 4,,do the dishes and laundry before the wife gets home,,and have dinner ready
only flintlocks remain interesting..

billd

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 05:03:26 AM »
I was one whole degree this morning when I left fro work. I have more time in the winter but less energy or desire. I work in my basement so heats not a problem.

When I used to build alot I got burned out. Took some time off, as in a few years, and got the bug again.  Now I work several hours a night for 3 or 4 days then walk away for a few days.  So far it's still fun.

Bill

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 08:49:12 AM »
elk killer, bitch, bitch , bitch. Actually sounds good to me.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 05:30:13 PM »
Boy, Elk Killer, I couldn't live like that! I don't leave the house without breakfast first!
Merry Christmas!
Tom C.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
I was one whole degree this morning when I left fro work. I have more time in the winter but less energy or desire. I work in my basement so heats not a problem.

When I used to build alot I got burned out. Took some time off, as in a few years, and got the bug again.  Now I work several hours a night for 3 or 4 days then walk away for a few days.  So far it's still fun.

Bill
Have you noticed how much you forgot about building during those yrs you had quit.   Jeez, I laid off one winter and forgot plenty ::)

billd

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »

Bill
Have you noticed how much you forgot about building during those yrs you had quit.   Jeez, I laid off one winter and forgot plenty ::)

Hey Roger, I don't feel like I forgot anything. I'm amazed at how much I didn't know.  I had two books and Fred Miller for advice.  No internet. Now you just come here or google it!!

Bill
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:45:16 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline albert

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2008, 07:37:52 AM »
Well....the company that I work for is in the business of casting parts for the auto industry,so, I get an unwanted vacation till Jan.12 if not longer. I have been very busy trying to catch up on some gun work,I am building a .40 cal. John Armstrong rifle  that I am way behind on,relined a couple of .06 Winchesters,working on a rifle for my daughters boyfriend,and several other works in progress. The best thing about all this is that I am working in my dads small shop,and he is helping me some,and I am learning things from him.He is still doing gun tinkering and he will be 93 on the 27th.of Dec.
j albert miles

Offline Herb

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 07:52:19 AM »
Hi, Albert.  I remember fondly my visit with you and your family and father.  Was wondering about the casting plant. 
Herb

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »
Ok, what have I been up to?  Between work, deer season, getting ready for Christmas and being too cold in the shop, I haven't worked on my Hawken project much lately.

But on the bright side deer season was a success....

Once I had meat in the freezer, I did try to get out into the shop some.  My shop is in the garage with only a kerosene heater for heat, so shop time is limited in the winter.  I have been working on some powderhorn projects and did manage to finish this for my mom for Christmas.  Cherry top, walnut base pinned with wood pins.

Deer season is over, ready or not Christmas is here and I have a few days off from work, so I'm hoping for some moderate temps and some uninterrupted shop time.

-Ron
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:10:53 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Bob F

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2008, 06:41:21 AM »
Hey there...new guy here.  I live in NE Pennsylvania so it's the begining of our flinter only deer season.  In the meantime besides 3 teenagers running me around in circles I am trying to finish my first build (stock is stained, barrel needs to be browned or blued..not sure which yet).  I am also working on a horn for my middle son (16) who also is learning to love flinters, he has a Traditions Deerhunter that he wants to personalize with some inlays.  It's a solid starter rifle for him and he is very accurate with it.

Again...Hi from the new guy!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
Brown it. You can't go far wrong.

holzwurm

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »
FWIW I've been trying to salvage a beautifully stripped maple half stock which had the lock mortice hogged out by a drunken monkey. I excavated the entire lock area down to the RR channel and inset a solid piece of maple. Quite a  project.

Shows you how deep the plug went.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 01:19:25 AM by holzwurm »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2008, 02:56:57 AM »
Another way to salvage a stock that has a bad lock inlet, or you want to change locks, is to plane all of the lock plate mortise off - just the plate.  Then glue with clamps another piece of maple about .150" thick over the old inlet.  Reinlet the new lock plate and shape the moldings to your pleasure.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

George F.

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2008, 03:16:45 AM »
Well to Quote Britney Spears" I did it a-gain. Being, scraped through  into the ram rod channel under the trigger  guard extension. Trying to get the DST's high enough to function properly. I have a rifle standing in the corner still , the result of the same malady for over 4yrs now, that'll get a wear plate, but don't want to do that to this one. It isn't completely through yet, but you could just about read the paper.  What da ya think, slip a halved dowel down the hole and re-drill the ramrod hole?   ...Geo.

holzwurm

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2008, 04:20:21 AM »
Another way to salvage a stock that has a bad lock inlet, or you want to change locks, is to plane all of the lock plate mortise off - just the plate.  Then glue with clamps another piece of maple about .150" thick over the old inlet.  Reinlet the new lock plate and shape the moldings to your pleasure.

That's sort of what I've been trying to do. Once I had the plug in and dressed down I glued another piece of maple to build it back up.  I'm about ready to begin the new inlet as soon as I have both cheeks at the same level (thickness)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
I drew myself up a set of plans for one of the walk around benchs like Tom Caster and David Price use.  I was going to make up a pair of them for my new shop, his and hers, but opted to build only one, use it as a prototype for a while and then build the second one.  Glad I did.  I drew up the plans, added the dimensions, mentally assembled the bench in my head and then cut out all the lumber.  Guess what I found out, 37 1/2" + 1" does not equal 39".  Forunately this was a recoverable mistake and I only had to shorten up the outer legs by 1/2" to get the heights on the inner and outer legs to match. 
DMR