Author Topic: Resurrected flint fowler"Brother Gene" part 1  (Read 1861 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Resurrected flint fowler"Brother Gene" part 1
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »
Greeting to all;2 years ago,not long after my bride and I got settled in our WVa home,I purchased an old,decrepit DB Richards fowler.Boy was it a mess.All I really wanted was some parts-t guard,lockplate,obviously a converted flintlock.
The barre it had was a 24"50 cal 15/16 oct with many sight dovetails.Here are pics less barrel

All the screw holes were stripped out,some missing wood here and there,and no good reason to keep it.I took it to one of our monthly matches,where I was going to attempt to dispose of it.One of our beloved members,the recently late gene Hyre looked at the poor thing,and asked Why dont you fix it,Dave?I thought he was nuts,but who am I to say?he also said,If you do restore it,you will have learned many valuable lessons,and that will be good.I have restored worse-hahah-are you up to the challenge?What have i got to loose,the gauntlet has been laid down.
I took it to my old shop in Atlanta last year,and proceded to make a wood porkiepine out of it,clearance drilling old holes and plugging with new dowel.