Author Topic: Questions on US proofed fowler  (Read 6437 times)

Tommykid

Questions on US proofed fowler
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:57:03 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy this fowler and wanted to see if anyone could give me any info and perhaps a general value. The bore is .69, smooth and in good condition. The barrel length is 45 1/4". It's difficult to say, but it could be "Warrented" marked on the lock. I'm also not sure why the barrel would have what I beleive are military proof marks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tom

JWBlair

Re: Questions on US proofed fowler
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:12:18 AM »
Speaking as to the barrel only,the length and those proof marks appear to consistent with those used by Harpers Ferry on Model 1795 musket production between 1800 and 1815.Possibly a salvaged or surplus barrel?

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »
I would agree that this fowling piece was built using a re-purposed US musket barrel.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
Although the proof marks are not very clear I would say the barrel was made in Madrid,the triggerguard with the pineapple finials is after 1786  and the lock is stamped warrented most likely made in Birmingham UK
Feltwad

Tommykid

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
If it was made in the UK, wouldn't there be associated proof marks? I have yet to remove the barrel to see if there are any additional stamps/proofs. The seller had thought it was perhaps a Brit. gun, but the US military proofs had me doubting that.
Tom

Offline TPH

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
As LynnC said, it is a US military barrel re-used. The current civilian gun with it's early reused military barrel dates no earlier than 1825 and may be as late as 1845 to 1850.
T.P. Hern

Tommykid

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »
Is the concensus that this is a US made piece or is it from the UK (or is it even possible to know)? Any guess as to general value?
Thanks,
Tom

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
Guess my attempt at a post did not connect. Here it is again
 US military barrel is only absolute. Lock is probably an import but warrented locks were made in US by this time. Reused furniture is quite common on fowlers so are not a good indicator of origin. If forced to guess I would say built in New England area of US.
 I am a firm believer that prices are to be set by seller. Then buyer is only required to agree or disagree and negotiations begin or cease. Third party intervention is not desired nor warrented. A piece is worth what the buyer and seller agree to.  My preferred wording is "An old gun is worth whaht an old fool is willing to pay"

Tommykid

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
Don, I agree with you regarding pricing. In this case, I was just looking for some guidance. The asking price is $600, if that changes anything. Normally, I would think that's too much for something like this, but wasn't sure what this was and didn't want to pass up a diamond in the rough.
Thanks,
Tom
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:05:10 AM by Tommykid »

Offline TPH

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
Is the concensus that this is a US made piece or is it from the UK (or is it even possible to know)? Any guess as to general value?
Thanks,
Tom
Tommykid, there is no real reason to believe that this is not a US made piece, personally I seriously doubt that it ever saw the shores of Britain. Don's advice on both origin and pricing are excellent.

That being said, I will go out on a limb and say that $600 seems a little high but, depending on where it is being sold, may not be terribly high, the barrel alone could sell to someone restoring a M1795 for as much as $300.
T.P. Hern

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
Value is always a questionable situation.  Do You like it? Not a lot of money for a well made example of Americana. Are you going to make money on it at that price? Probably not to a collector. Maybe to someone decorating a fireplace in their country home. If you already have several high grade Kentucky rifles it would have minimal interest. It is certainly better than my first attempt to own an original US made piece. You really cannot buy a lot for $600 even in this economy. Better stop there. Don't want to get accused of injecting politics

Offline TPH

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:04 PM »
Well said in both posts Don.
T.P. Hern

Tommykid

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
Well said in both posts Don.

Agreed. Thanks very much to all.
Tom

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »
It is an interesting and  nice piece overall....$600 is not outrageous IMHO....thanks for posting it...and when/ if you do buy it....let us know if you find out anything else.

eddillon

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:02:43 AM »
I am in here a little late.  My 2 cents-all British-Birmingham except the U.S. Musket barrel.