Author Topic: residents of Mid TN?  (Read 6902 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
residents of Mid TN?
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
who build/shoot longrifles?

I suppose i never asked this out loud.  But saw where someone offered "local assistance" to a first timer way back.  I'm an hour north of the Elk River Longrifles area.  Anybody here shoot there? 

Tippy is way over there up above Nastyville.  It's half-a-day consumed to go out there and he runs "hot/cold" as to whether he wants to talk or not.  I have a buddy who lives in that direction with several rifles and was a former professional living history resident of Mansker's Station.  But he's never built one. 

Eastern or Southern Mid-TN?  anybody?  shooters or builders?
Hold to the Wind

Militant_Hillbilly

Re: residents of Mid TN?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:38:46 AM »
Just a shooter (mostly over-the-log) and only a bit of "minor customizing" right now. But am collecting parts and information to start a TN longrifle one of these days.

I've heard of the Elk River Longrifles and know who a couple of them are but haven't shot there.

I live in White county, work in Warren.

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
I live in Putnam county half way between Nashville and Knoxville on I-40.  There is not an organized club in my area.   Some of us locally get together and shoot, but not as an organization.  I have shot with the Elk River folks in the past, but not in a while.  John Anderson has been a good friend for over 20 years and  shared info with me when I first got started.  My interest is in building and shooting Southern moutain, Virginia, and Hawken rifles.
                                                            Roger Sells  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:39:53 AM by rsells »

dbraw

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »
I live in Wilson County and have belonged to The Tennessee Longhunters club for 40 years. We shoot every two months at different farms in the middle Tennessee area. We would be glad to have you join us. Our next shoot is Oct. 27 near Fairview. Check out our web site if you wish.  I have built 51 muzzleloaders. I shot my first flintlock which belonged to John Anderson many years ago.
I have a good friend in Woodbury.
Dan B

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »
I live in Wilson County and have belonged to The Tennessee Longhunters club for 40 years. We shoot every two months at different farms in the middle Tennessee area. We would be glad to have you join us. Our next shoot is Oct. 27 near Fairview. Check out our web site if you wish.  I have built 51 muzzleloaders. I shot my first flintlock which belonged to John Anderson many years ago.
I have a good friend in Woodbury.
Dan B
Holy cow that's getting close.  I'm "of" Wilson.  Mom is from Shop Springs and Dad from Watertown, bu I never lived there.  My Dad's clan is how "Patton Hollow" got its name.  Used to ride at Fairview-on "Bowie Land".  I'll go look for our website.    I'm real familiar with the Southeastern end of Wilson.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
I live in Putnam county half way between Nashville and Knoxville on I-40.  There is not an organized club in my area.   Some of us locally get together and shoot, but not as an organization.  I have shot with the Elk River folks in the past, but not in a while.  John Anderson has been a good friend for over 20 years and  shared info with me when I first got started.  My interest is in building and shooting Southern moutain, Virginia, and Hawken rifles.
                                                            Roger Sells  
I know of Putnam.  I'll try to roust you if i get up that way.  Maybe i'll be ready for shoots next year.
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »
Just a shooter (mostly over-the-log) and only a bit of "minor customizing" right now. But am collecting parts and information to start a TN longrifle one of these days.

I've heard of the Elk River Longrifles and know who a couple of them are but haven't shot there.

I live in White county, work in Warren.
Somebody has to work in Warren to replace all the Mackminnville residents who drive through Woodbury to work somewhere else every day.

Isn't Milksick Mtn in White?  I used to collect shooting trophies up there in the 90's.  Firetower road, past the luthier, before the tower.  Last time i was up that way i was pedaling. 

Hold to the Wind

dbraw

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »
Stay in touch or come visit. I will be glad to share any info on building rifles or pistols that I can . No charge. Just trying to keep the sport going.
Dan

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:39:08 AM »
and thanks for the invite to the shoot, but i'll still be workin' on my first one at that time.  Didn't see an sort of event listing or calendar at the .org site.  Keep me up on your shoots-whenever open to invitees.  ER shoots every second saturday year-round.

John is still making and shooting and just got over a broken leg (from loading cattle of all things).  I just met him in the last couple of years.
Hold to the Wind

Offline rsells

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »
Wade,
I did a bunch of shooting on Milksick mtn for a few years as well.  Hated for the guys to let the matches go away.  I still miss the shoots.   I ended up selling my rifles after they guys stopped having the matches.  Bummer!
                                                                     Roger Sells
Let me know if you are in my area or know of a match in easy drive from my location.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
Yes, I only have one gun left that i shot up there, but a box or two full of trophies.  I'm pretty sure i was up there part of 93 and all of 94 as I won the pistol, rifle, and overall championship in 94.  That was my first foray into competitive shooting.  Will do more.

Grady Jones sent me up there, but i never got to shoot with him.  He got into shotgunning about that time and now supplies skeet and CA shooters.  And me if i ever find myself on that side of the 'Boro-which i avoid as much as possible.  I left there in 01.

I remember a few names from those days, but mostly of the Rutherford bunch. We may have crossed paths.

Lot of private ranges in this county and one big one, maybe get something stirred up at some point in the future.  I have to go swing a saw in the tops now.
Hold to the Wind

Robtattoo

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
Hi Wade, I live in Tullahoma & I'm a regular, but fairly new, member at Elk River.

We have several amateur builders in the club although I believe the most prolific would be John Anderson.
We shoot the second Saturday of every month at our own private range near Estill Springs & we'd be glad to have you join us for a shoot!

John's details are on the NMLRA website, although he can be tough to get hold of.

If you'd like to come & shoot sometime, gimme a call. My number's 931-581-5350, I'd be glad to give you directions or meet you somewhere & give you a lift. The range can be a pig to find if you're never been before!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
Hey Rob,

I've been to a shoot down there.  John is helping me with my build.  I get down there every several weeks depending on the fuel tank condition.

I've met several guys at John's and a few at the shoot i visited.  I'll be to many more shoots when i get this first one shooting.

I found the range via directions from John's Lovely Wife over the phone...yes it was easy as pushing wet rope uphill in the rain. 

I'm 18 miles north of Manchester.
Hold to the Wind

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:44 AM »
Somebody has to work in Warren to replace all the Mackminnville residents who drive through Woodbury to work somewhere else every day.

Isn't Milksick Mtn in White?  I used to collect shooting trophies up there in the 90's.  Firetower road, past the luthier, before the tower.  Last time i was up that way i was pedaling. 

I didn't know anyone from McMinnville drove elsewhere to work. Every time I leave work at dinner time the roads are always packed and I wonder don't these people have jobs...

Haven't heard of Milksick Mtn. but I know where the Firetower road is, just haven't been down it.

rebel1972

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 04:30:02 AM »
I'm new here ,this is my first post .I live in White County and work in Putnam. The last club I heard of was in Overton Co. a couple yeas ago I think the name was Crockett"s Longhunters . It was headed by Jim Bowman .

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 08:11:11 AM »
The firetower-or foundation for one (i forget if that one is still up) is atop Milksick.

Woodbury is the two-lane funnel that all the Warren and other easterlies squeeze through during commute hours.  I hate finding myself down there in that hubub, but it happens.  

Thanks for the info Rebel1972.  I've heard of this Overton, will investigate.

:: (Robt) Crockett's Camp Longhunter Society ::  in the Livingston info pages, but dead link to crockettcamp.com.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:18:13 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind