Author Topic: Information on "DC" 2nd Model Bess  (Read 2487 times)

culpeperlt

Information on "DC" 2nd Model Bess
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
A friend purchased a reproduction, 2nd Model Brown Bess.   I’m not sure what it is though; it appears to be of standard, or near standard length, approx .72 cal and lock marked “Grice 1762” and appears hand-engraved.  It is not made by Peterosoli and is not the typical Japanese version.  The barrel, butt plate, and trigger guard are marked “DC”.  There is also a “3” engraved on the tang.  Overall, the stock architecture is far superior to the commercial muskets and has several features that seemed to be closely copied from an original.  Some of the parts are inlayed less than professional though.  My impression is that this may have been part of a small batch run in an American shop, maybe sometime around the Bicentennial.  My concern, not knowing the manufacturer, is that it is a safe, designed for live-fire, weapon.   Just wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these?

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Information on "DC" 2nd Model Bess
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
It could be a British made copy by Coach Harness Co. I think they were the prototype for Pedersoli. I have owned two of them and seen several more.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 02:59:14 AM »
All of the Coach Harness guns I've seen had full 46" barrels and weighed about 20 pounds (kind of kidding, kind of not...).  What's the barrel length on this?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

culpeperlt

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
I'll have my friend check the barrel length.  I'm thinking it looked a little short.