Author Topic: is .62 too much gun?  (Read 15584 times)

magyar

is .62 too much gun?
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:27:50 PM »
afternoon all,

i am planning to build a rifle but am having some decision-making disorder over whether or not to go with something i know or go bigger. I have .40 and .50 rifles and a .62 Fusil de Chasse.

One of the kits I am looking at, (Chambers Mark Silver VA) can be had in a .62. This is intriguing to me but i worry its too much and will burn through lead and powder, have the trajectory of a softball, and is kind of overkill for hunting in KY. But it could be really fun. Please share your thoughts. If I had to choose between a .54 and .62, what are some pros and cons. I am not looking for a long distance tack-driver by the way. One good thing is I can share balls between the Fusil and the .62 rifle I suppose.

I appreciate any insight from you folks that know balistics and may hunt with these way more than i do.

Offline Kermit

Re: is .62 too much gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:30:09 AM »
I'm afraid I can't add much--if any--illumination to this thread, but it's a question that I run around in my mind a lot.

If there was a way to get some of my youth and joint health back so I could do some hard hunting again, a .62 rifle speaks to me. I even sometimes think something bigger might serve well. But I'm just lately struggling with what to do with a couple of my flintlocks that don't see use anymore because of the cost in powder and ball as well as the punishment that my shoulder is no longer capable of absorbing. I've got a couple of .50's and a .25, and am gathering ideas for a .40 that I have most of the findings for. I'm thinning my rifles bigger than .50.

So for me, it seems to be coming down, of late, to what's fun to shoot when I go to the range. I'm thinking small these days, but that said, my 20ga x 44" fowling piece will be with me to the end.

I'm interested to hear the contributions of others.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:46:50 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:35:10 AM »
With the 62 you could go anywhere in the USA an not worry about if you had enough gun. Some might say too big for whitetails but so what. I've got several 54s and I got a 62 coming. Only thing negative that I can see is it takes more lead to mold the balls but still I dont care. Ya only go round once in this short life so I vote go for it an get it if ya want it an the heck with what anybody thinks. Besides all that can ya ever have too many guns ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »
I love it! Ive never lost a deer hit with my .62 Jaeger, due to a good blood trail, and it has taken more deer in my life than all my other rifles and shotguns combined!
I use 70 grs of 2f all the time and bump it up to only 90 grs for hunting deer and bear.
Make sure it isn't a lite wt. barrel though.
Tom C.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:22:45 AM »
I have a .62 perc. long rifle, it has taken moose with ease, and has been mighty hard on local ground hog.
Mybe a little over kill on the ground hogs, but they never complained.
The recoil is a bit heavy for punching paper.
A .62 has a large drop at any given distance, but you do get use to the drop.
You can't beat that big ball for busting bush, as for whitetails.
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:41:55 AM »
With a good stock design its OK. But if you shoot loads over 1600 fps, so it will shoot flat to 120 yards or so and have a poor stock design you will be sorry.
I would rather hunt with a 50 than a 62 unless hunting elk. If hunting something like a Gbear I would want something with a ball over .66.
I would also point out that in my OPINION, calibers over 54 were rare in the longrifle in America. What documentation there is from the time seems to point to calibers not much more the 52. And there are a lot of rifles from the Rev-War time frame that almost surely have their original bores are in the mid-40 cals to 50.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:32 AM »
I have a .62 perc. long rifle, it has taken moose with ease, and has been mighty hard on local ground hog.
Mybe a little over kill on the ground hogs, but they never complained.
The recoil is a bit heavy for punching paper.
A .62 has a large drop at any given distance, but you do get use to the drop.
You can't beat that big ball for busting bush, as for whitetails.
Old Ford

My 16 bore rifle may not shoot quite as flat as a heavily loaded 50 but still has a point blank of 120 yards or so for deer sized animals.
But I use 140 gr of FF Swiss.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:05:37 AM »
This is the 16 bore in slow mo and my 54 is slow mo. If you have a bad back its not a good choice.

Click on the image.

Dan

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:34:45 AM »
Mr Phariss... Cool video.  ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:12 AM »
Your 62 smoothy and 62 rifle might not take the same sized ball and shoot acuratly.

magyar

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »
i am curious about the stock issue. It makes perfect sense to me but I had not thought of it. i do expect a good deal of time at a range but dont want to get beat to $#*!. If you are familiar with the early VA style rifle in comparison to a Jaeger what do you think about the comfort level? Any pros/cons to both? I could go with a Jaeger. I like the style I just worried about accuracy due to the shorter barrel but maybe that is not a problem. Again, insights welcome. i really appreciate your help. I want to make this purchase soon, next week or two, but want to make the right one. Thanks

Offline Greg S Day

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 03:59:21 PM »
Magyar

I say build the .62.  Maybe a bit much for deer but if you ever get to hunt something bigger (like elk) it'll be the cat's a**!

A Virginia style rifle or a big Beck will be a fine design for the recoil issue.  Either of these styles make a nice .62.

I shoot 100 grains FFg for target and 120 for hunting.  100 grains in a nicely designed rifle is easy.  120 starts to smack a bit.

I sight in for 75 yards.  That makes me a bit high at 50 and a bit low at 100.  All "minute of deer" accurate.

I've shot 2 elk with mine and neither shot was as perfect as I'd hoped for, but in each case the elk went down.  If you need to take a quartering shot or a high sholder the 62 will get it done.  A  double lung is nice, but nice don't always happen.

Life is short.  Build a .62!

Greg
He Conquers Who Endures

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
I shoot a Caywood English game gun, cal 62.   It's about the length and weight of a Jaeger.   I shoot .595 ball, linen patch, and 80 gr 2F.   It has a broad buttplate and you definitely know something violent just happened when it goes off, but it's a stout push back onto your shoulder, nothing painful about it at all.    I like the gun because of its compact size and convenience going through the woods.    I've shot it out to 100 yds while sighting in, and probably would worry about trajectory issues over that 100 yd range.   But, where I hunt, 50 yards is about as far as you can see anyway and the gun was tearing the center out of a big bull target at 50 yds offhand while sighting in.  

And, to echo an earlier comment,  the roundball you use in your .62 rifle may not be the same ones you use in your 20 ga smoothbore.   I had to go down to a .595 because I couldn't get a patched .600 down the bore of the rifle.   Even if you can, you'll still have to go through the process of working up a best load and the patching, ball diameter, powder granulation or powder charge may all differ between your smoothie and the rifle, even if calibers are the same.

My .54 rifle (44 inch barrel) was chronographed to give 1500-1600fps muzzle velocity with 80gr of powder.  For my .62 rifle, the chronograph told me I was getting 1150 fps muzzle velocity with 80gr of Goex 2F, and 1250 fps with 100 grains.

Good luck.  SCL

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 04:28:33 PM »
My vote would be for the Chamber's Virginia.  I owned one in .60 cal.  .595 ball, .020 patch, 75g powder, one ragged hole, mild recoil.
  So find a hunting load that works, and it will knock down anything in North America.   At these loads, you're only going to shoot a couple.  Load it back down for plinking.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
i am curious about the stock issue. It makes perfect sense to me but I had not thought of it. i do expect a good deal of time at a range but dont want to get beat to $#*!. If you are familiar with the early VA style rifle in comparison to a Jaeger what do you think about the comfort level? Any pros/cons to both? I could go with a Jaeger. I like the style I just worried about accuracy due to the shorter barrel but maybe that is not a problem. Again, insights welcome. i really appreciate your help. I want to make this purchase soon, next week or two, but want to make the right one. Thanks

Except for a relative few, many longrifle buttstocks, especially those of the late 18th and 19th c. are not suitable for calibers over 50-54.
From the photos Chambers Mark Silver VA rifle should be good as is the Marshal rifle. The Chambers line of kits has no "stinkers" from the photos.
The key in a heavy recoiling rifle is to have a comb line close to parallel to the bore.
If you watch my head in the video you will see why.
The best recommendation for a rifle over 54-58 that is going to use flat trajectory loads is to use an English sporting rifle buttstock like the original Purdy pattern shown in the TOW plan for that rifle.  OR an Longrifle with similar drop at heel and comb.
Shot off my arm as it must be the 54 Hawken style rifle is 100% more likely to "leave a mark" than the English style rifle is shot from the shoulder "pocket". The rifles require a different shooting stance. Shoot the 16 bore other than "pocketed" and the shooter will be very sorry for days afterwards.
Shooting a rifle that moves a 350+- ball at 1600 is never going to be a lot of fun to shoot off the bench and will require getting used to. They are also more sensitive to how they are held as a slight difference in how the rifle recoils can produce a flier .
While eastern hunters and recreational shooters can use less powder if the rifle will shoot well,  I don't like loads under 1600 fps, the trajectory gets too high. I have never shot less than 100 from the English rifle and even then its is hard on steel targets at Rendezvous etc. But its sighted for 140 gr of powder  so if I start shooting loads that are too light the ball gets too far from the line of sight past 30-40 yards. With a one ounce ball 140 gr is less than 1/3 ball weight btw.
Forsythe tells us that the primary advantage of the American rifle was its trajectory compared to the typical English rifle. The English, in general, used too fast a twist in the barrel, too little powder and needed a three leaf "express" sight to shoot  to 120-150 yards. Forsythe thought that this was ridiculous in a hunting rifle and he was right.
This fromhttp://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

1600 fps zeroed at 50 puts the ball 4.3" low at 100. right at max or slightly over for shooting deer.

This the calculators recommended 111 yard zero at 1600 mv.

This is why I shoot loads that produce higher velocity.
I can shoot at a deer that I think is 75 yards away, misjudge the distance by 50 yards and STILL be on the deer with a center hold.
With the 1200 fps load its a clean miss, or worse (much, much worse) it breaks a front leg somewhere below the brisket.

Greg; your comment that "nice does not always happen" is a profound statement that people really need to heed. Shooting in the field is not shooting on the range. I like to go out and shoot rocks (we have a lot of them) during hikes on public land. Uneven footing is a factor, I once killed an elk standing on tip toe leaning my left hand against a tree. It was a one shot kill with a 54 but as is often the case it was a little off not as nice as I wanted. Probably having the tree on the right side of the rifle moved the impact about 4" at the 80 odd yards I was shooting through a "hole" in the trees up hill at about 30 degrees.
Personally I think the 62 is a great caliber for elk.  Far better than a 54.
I really like my 16 bore rifle. However, it is hard on my somewhat damaged neck so its largely retired now.

Dan

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
Jeez Mag how many Rhinos and Grizzleys you got in ol Kentuck?   (Neighbor lady doesn't count)

You plan on hun ting trip/trips to Elk country she'd be fine.  For normal line shooting too much rifle unless you like to spend $ for powder lead and chiropractic care ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »
I don't believe in the concept of "over kill"; dead is dead.  There are no "degrees" of it.  My .62 is a smoothbore and is a wondrous instrument. 

My suggestion would be to get a .62 smoothbore with swamped, octagon barrel, and using the Va stock; build a smoothrifle.   Roundball has one and his accuracy is similar to a rifles at 50 yards or more.  I'd suspect deer at 100 yards would be no problem with this setup.  Plus you'll have the handy option of shot.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Black Hand

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »
I have the rifle of which you speak in .62cal and have no complaints.

Black Hand

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
I have the rifle of which you speak in .62cal and have no complaints.  If I do my job, things fall down...

Muggsy1776

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »
I went with Chambers' Marshall rifle in .62 because I 1. wanted a rifle with some power for hunting, and 2. to interchange balls with my fowler.  In my part of Michigan I'm not allowed to hunt deer with rifle, so my choice is 12 ga slugs.  A .62 (20ga) is less of a round than the 12 ga so i'm not worried about overpowering.   I'm still in the process of sighting in and finding the right load combo-  i'm still shooting low at 50 yrds by about 6 inches.  At 100 yrds my ball drop is around 16-20 inches which is pretty big.  I'm shooting .60 with .015 patching with 80 gr of 2F.  I tried 3F and it raised my 100 yard shot by a few inches, but not good enough to make me happy.  I started going 90 grains of 3F and never hit the paper at 100 yrds (maintained the same point of aim so it's possible I started going over the paper which means i'm closer to POI; but, I ran out of powder and couldn't finish my testing).  I'm going to try either .60 ball with a .018 patch, or a .595 ball with a .20 patch to see if its any better.  Size wise the .600 and .595 are very close, but in the weight department they are 2g apart which could make big difference in speed and drop at 100 yards.  I want to be able to get a nice tight group using 2F at 100 yrds which will make me confident for deer season (I found that 3F gives me more fouling than the 2F). 

I love that nice big bore- it really makes a boom and a fireball that gets attention.   

Offline Habu

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
Dan-in the video, what was the charge in the .54? 

I'm curious because I found my .54 Hawken more comfortable to shoot (off the arm) with heavy charges than a similar charges out of a Brit-style stock.  Looking at the video, I suspect the difference may be the amount of neck movement or the way the neck moves. 

Thanks,
Jim 

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »
Muggsy, I use 90gr of Swiss 2Fg in a .54 for elk and suspect that your 90 grain charge in a .62 is pretty much on the lower end of a hunting charge in that caliber.  Rather than 3Fg I would suggest you look at a larger charge of 2Fg for it. 

Muggsy1776

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 11:05:04 PM »
Jerry I've been trying to work up the loads  a little at a time.   I've done up to 100 gr at a 100 with not much success (mostly end up with one $#*! of a sore right cheek from that stock).  Even at 80 grains i've found where i've been putting balls through the wood supports on the range.  I've read  where guys are putting 120+ gr for hunting so I am trying to find that heavy load area that works best.  My range time is usually limited to a few hours every couple of weeks due to work and kids school schedule.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 04:34:45 AM »
Dan-in the video, what was the charge in the .54? 

I'm curious because I found my .54 Hawken more comfortable to shoot (off the arm) with heavy charges than a similar charges out of a Brit-style stock.  Looking at the video, I suspect the difference may be the amount of neck movement or the way the neck moves. 

Thanks,
Jim 

90 gr of FFF Swiss. Make about 1900 fps last time I checked it.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 04:54:50 AM »
I went with Chambers' Marshall rifle in .62 because I 1. wanted a rifle with some power for hunting, and 2. to interchange balls with my fowler.  In my part of Michigan I'm not allowed to hunt deer with rifle, so my choice is 12 ga slugs.  A .62 (20ga) is less of a round than the 12 ga so i'm not worried about overpowering.   I'm still in the process of sighting in and finding the right load combo-  i'm still shooting low at 50 yrds by about 6 inches.  At 100 yrds my ball drop is around 16-20 inches which is pretty big.  I'm shooting .60 with .015 patching with 80 gr of 2F.  I tried 3F and it raised my 100 yard shot by a few inches, but not good enough to make me happy.  I started going 90 grains of 3F and never hit the paper at 100 yrds (maintained the same point of aim so it's possible I started going over the paper which means i'm closer to POI; but, I ran out of powder and couldn't finish my testing).  I'm going to try either .60 ball with a .018 patch, or a .595 ball with a .20 patch to see if its any better.  Size wise the .600 and .595 are very close, but in the weight department they are 2g apart which could make big difference in speed and drop at 100 yards.  I want to be able to get a nice tight group using 2F at 100 yrds which will make me confident for deer season (I found that 3F gives me more fouling than the 2F). 

I love that nice big bore- it really makes a boom and a fireball that gets attention.   

If the bore is really a 62 you are pretty loose with the ball fit. I would not use anything under .610 in a 62 and would prefer .005 clearance. Its impossible to shoot the same ball with success from a .620 bore rifle and a .620 smooth.
The grooves effectively make the rifle a larger bore for the purposes of patch fit. In the grooves the rifle is at least .640 to .650 depending on the groove depth. So it needs a larger ball for the same patch. The rifle ball should be heavily imprinted by the patch at the lands, if not the load is too loose nor is a really thick patch the best idea.  A rifle I built with a 50 cal GM rifle barrel and a 50 cal GM smooth. To use the rifle patch I had to reduce ball diameter from .495 to .480. This was what it shot best with.
I would also point out that rifles do not shoot shotgun loads unless a very fast twist.
I have never owned a 62 but suspect based on my 16 bore (67) that it will need about 35% of ball weight or a little more to give a flat trajectory.
If the stock is whacking your cheek try raising both sights about .100" this might help more than one might think.
I am surprised the Marshal Rifle design does this. But the bigger bore RB rifles can make a lot of recoil.

Dan