Author Topic: cure fo moisture , rain or snow in muzzle.  (Read 13329 times)

voyageur1688

cure fo moisture , rain or snow in muzzle.
« on: December 21, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »
 I am not sure how many others have used this solution to the problems of having moisture , rain or snow get into your muzzle while out hunting but I have started using an old trick that was taught to me by an army vet several years ago. It is to use a condom over the end of the muzzle. It does not interfere with the sights or with acuracy, but does keep the bore clear and dry. To me it seems  that this  "protection" has more uses than what the makers had intended them for. It has saved more than a few hunts for me over the last 6 or 7 years.
 Just thought I would pass this on for anyone who has had this problem and has not tried this cure.
 Todd

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: cure fo moisture , rain or snow in muzzle.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:53:34 AM »
I am not sure how many others have used this solution to the problems of having moisture , rain or snow get into your muzzle while out hunting but I have started using an old trick that was taught to me by an army vet several years ago. It is to use a condom over the end of the muzzle. It does not interfere with the sights or with acuracy, but does keep the bore clear and dry. To me it seems  that this  "protection" has more uses than what the makers had intended them for. It has saved more than a few hunts for me over the last 6 or 7 years.
 Just thought I would pass this on for anyone who has had this problem and has not tried this cure.
 Todd

A full length leather or tight weave wool gun cover is the best idea. Getting water in the bore is not a big problem with MLs but getting teh breech wet is.
I use sno-seal on leather covers.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 02:59:35 AM »
 Todd
If you are not in to that kind of 'protection' a small plastic bag and rubber band would work also (I mean on the rifle muzzle) ::)

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 03:35:01 AM »
I've used a quick aplication of electricians tape over the muzzle. It's easy to re-apply, just another 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" strip and it's done.  it does not effect the shot's accuracy.  I've been using this method on muzzleloading and modern rifles since 1980.  Before that, I carried the muzzle down in inclement weather and made sure I never got snow into it.

Another point, if storing a loaded rifle or pelter outside on a winter hunt, make sure you put something over the muzzle to keep snow out - whether it's a condom, glove, mitt, hat, or tape.  More than one firearm has burst the barrel or blown the action from getting rain down inside the bore to the loaded round or patched ball during the early evening, which then freezes overnight. The resultant plug will not want to blow out with the normal charge and could blow up the rifle.

William Worth

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 04:05:28 AM »
Maybe I need to rethink the notion of leather condoms...? ;D

voyageur1688

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 04:28:07 AM »
 The reason I use the condoms is they are easy to get, stay put, dont need to be removed to shoot like a full sleeve would need, are quiet in cold weather unlike plastic bags and can be put on fairly fast if a sudden change in weather comes in.  Cold does not sem to affect them either so as long as you dont tear then on the sight, they will be there for as long as they are needed. Tape, in cold weather does not like to stick nor does it like to stick to an oiled muzzle. I like something that can be left on the gun while in the field that does not need to be removed for a running shot and unless you have a large supply of thin leather or cloth and has the ability to get wet without holding water on the gun. Even treated canvas or leather can hold water which can get to the metal and start to break down the oiling on it. I discovered this when I was using my 45 Kentucky during the muzzleloader season here in Northern Minnesota about 6 years ago. I found that the end of the barrel was starting to rust fairly fast with a leather cup over the bore. I tyried many different things to resolve this and then a vet. friend told me they did this in Vietnam and that it should solve my problem. It did and I have been pleased with it ever since.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »

[/quote]If you are not in to that kind of 'protection' a small plastic bag and rubber band would work also (I mean on the rifle muzzle) ::)
[/quote]

Size of plastic bag will vary with user... ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:40:26 AM »
As to sticking in cold weather, -56 didn't seem to effect it at all. I loaded the rifle in the tent which was warm, applied the tape and it disappeared when the proper time came.  I can see a condom working just fine, but for me, tape is easier - I always have a part roll that fits in a pocket just fine.  I generally don't have condoms in my pocket when I'm at hunting camp (or anywhere else for that matter), but tape, everyone understands. Condoms would be good for a laugh though, maybe next time.  Wonder if anyone will want one if I offer?

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 05:55:50 AM »
I have known a number of deer hunters in these parts who have used the "condom trick" quite successfully. It gives a watertight seal and totally disappears when fired.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 06:09:08 AM »
I have known a number of deer hunters in these parts who have used the "condom trick" quite successfully. It gives a watertight seal and totally disappears when fired.

I would really like to see Pletch film that in slow motion to see what happens.  Try putting one over your (cold) exhaust pipe and revving the engine.  It gets about 8 ft long and a foot in diameter.  Such an experiment would certainly show the pressure wave and gas leakage in front of a roundball, before the ball ruptures it.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 07:34:20 AM »
TOF, that's actually a brilliant idea!

omark

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »
wives arent usually very tolerant of finding condoms in your hunting gear when they unpack. :o

famouseagle

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
And if yer hunting with one of those big bore guns you can proudly purchase a pack of "large" size condoms at the drug store.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
If I'm buying xlarge condoms my wife isn't suspicious :D
Bruce

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »
somewhere I recall that condoms were used over machine gun bbls in WWII, similar purpose

J.D.

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 10:33:43 PM »
Condoms have been used for may years as a means of protecting the muzzle against moisture entering the bore.

I prefer to use black electrical tape  cut to fit over the muzzle, with no overlap down the sides of the barrel. Put on a warm barrel, I don't remember a time when the tape refused to stick.

While I don't like a full length cover when hunting,  a well oiled leather "cow's knee" that reaches  from the comb of the stock to at least 8 inches in front of the lock works well to protect the lock against rain, snow, sleet, and what have you. The only problem with a cows knee is remembering to keep the muzzle pointed low enough to prevent rain from running down the "gutter" between barrel and forestock to wet the pan.

IMHO, full length gun covers are great when not actively hunting, but seem to get in the way when I'm in the woods.

C. Cash

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 11:36:30 PM »
If I'm buying xlarge condoms my wife isn't suspicious :D
Bruce

;D ;D ;D

chuck-ia

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 04:59:03 AM »
I am more concerned with the touch hole area than the muzzle. I would sure think the grease patched round ball would seal the powder charge from the muzzle. chuck

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
A dribble of water down the muzzle that freezes with temperature drops breeds trouble me thinks. A little muzzle protection is good in my book.

voyageur1688

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 11:31:57 PM »
 Darryl is right, A small amount of water in the muzzle can freeze and cause the barrel to suffer grave consequnces and can cause the shooter to suffer as well.  I think it would be about as bad as having a barrel plugged with dirt or mud. Safety first.
 Besides, when some joker messes you up on a shooting or hunting trip, you can always put one of them or maybe a wrapper from yours in his shooting bag for HIS WIFE to find...LOL....
  As for the wife finding the condoms and blowing a gasket---I don't have that problem any more--got the big D for a birthday present 2 years ago.
 Todd

roundball

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 01:13:59 AM »
I use masking tape on my muzzleloaders when I load in the garage and leave for a hunt...and carry a few of these in a little plastic bag in my pocket

http://www.allegromedical.com/ostomy-supplies-c529/finger-cots-white-latex-p173238.html

R. Hare

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
Well, most of this stuff sounds a bit modern to me!

...and if someone finds a bag of condoms in your bag, and your hunting out in the wilds with only animals about, they mght start to wonder about you....

I don't normally use a muzzle cover any weather, but if it's Real bad, I have a 'tompion' made from a little ball of oiled wool, wrapped in a bit of blanket, and tied off. this sort of resembles a raddish with the leaves on (!)...and  can be pushed into the muzzle, leaving the  'leaves sticking out.
If you raise gun to fire, the 'leaves remind you it's in the bore.
(most times!)
I did once shoot one out, and it was no bother at all. with the air pressure, it must have exited the bore before the ball cought up!

Richard.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 11:49:18 PM »
TOF, 8ft long x 1ft diam - that is a medium! 

Joking aside, they make small ones to protect cut fingers which work fine but if we are to continue our muzzleloading tradition of being some of the world most frugal sportsman, you can get a baggie of small ballons at the dollar store which works just fine and will not frighten the does as much. 

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 02:12:57 AM »
condoms frighten does - I thought they'd be an attractant. :o :o ::)

tg

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 05:50:19 AM »
I have never covered the muzzle as I keep it downward at least a bit, this also helps keep water from heading down the stock and into the pan, I do at times use a cows knee if there is much rain. When at home at he end of the day and the gun is loaded I wipe everything down and run a lightly lubed patch down to the ball to make sure there is no moisture in the bore.