Author Topic: Banner rifle on this forum?  (Read 4088 times)

HardBall

Banner rifle on this forum?
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:54:23 AM »
Can anyone tell me about the rifle on the top banner of this forum?  What school is this rifle likely from?  I really like the less ornate rifles, single triggers and no patchbox.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Banner rifle on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:21:22 AM »
I believe that rifle was built by Mark Elliott, the originator of this site.  Here is a link to his website: 
http://www.markelliottva.com/

Larry Luck

HardBall

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »
Thanks for the link to Mark's site, Larry.  I'm still not sure which school of rifle it is, early Lancaster perhaps?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
Hardball,

Mark specializes in Virginia rifles.  I assume that's what it would be.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 06:33:48 PM »
Thanks for the link to Mark's site, Larry.  I'm still not sure which school of rifle it is, early Lancaster perhaps?

Neither "early" nor Lancaster. Mark may have posted details and a search of the archives would likely turn that up.

Hate to speak for another builder's work but  I would guess that -- based on the iron mounts, the lock, and the stock shape (including the curve of the butt piece) -- that he was looking at something that might have been made about ca. 1810 in the part of Virginia south and west of Botetourt Co. (Rockbridge Co also has a couple of builders working in this general style.)

We expect to see Mark at a lunch gathering on Wednesday and if he hasn't seen and responded by then I'll ask him to take a look at your post.
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
i thought i found it on Contemporary Makers last night, but that one had a brass box. 

i go looks again.

would be a brilliant item to have a clickable blurb or dropdown menu/info on for details/redirection. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Link to Mark's gunbuilder web site:

http://www.markelliottva.com/

Good luck!
Yes, he has four guns listed there with great photographs and details, but none of the banner piece-that i could find.  Mark?
Hold to the Wind

HardBall

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:13:47 AM »
Additional pics would help but it seems as though it's got a brass trigger guard but browned buttplate and nosecap?  Can't tell about the ramrod pipes.

It's the general design that I like, being fond of "plain" rifles but with nice wood.  I like the patchbox-less stock & butt shape mostly but the contrast of polished, or white, lock with what seems to be a browned barrel is also tasty.