Author Topic: Lock and triggers for a Bogle style rifle  (Read 4055 times)

Offline B.Barker

Lock and triggers for a Bogle style rifle
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
Here's a lock and set of triggers I'm working on for a Bogle rifle I'm working on. The lock started out a Chambers gun makers lock tha I replaced with new cock, frizzen and frizzen spring. Trying to make it look like a 1790's Ketland lock. I'm not completly happy with it but it looks better than a Siler and I'm not crazy about L&R either. Besides I'm trying to work myself up to making a complete lock. This is good practice for that. The triggers are my own manufacture and I tried to copy the Bogle triggers as close as possible.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Lock and triggers for a Bogle style rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »
Terrific work.  Love the frizzen spring.  Triggers are very stylish.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:13:23 PM »
Handsome, handsome, indeed. I look forward to the rifle!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
Nice work Brian.  I especially like the triggers.

Myron Carlson always said he regretted not being able to copy the triggers off the original rifle to go with the hardware - one of the few sets he sold without the matching triggers. 

Guy

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »
I'm surprised no one has said anything about the frizzen spring being slightly cocked up towards the front. It looked good when I spotted it but after the hole was drilled I noticed it was quite right. But I didn't want to weld and redrill again.

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »
I'm surprised no one has said anything about the frizzen spring being slightly cocked up towards the front. It looked good when I spotted it but after the hole was drilled I noticed it was quite right. But I didn't want to weld and redrill again.

I was considering sending a PM to ask if that improved reliability or speed on the frizzen's movement, or if it was a detail copied off an original.  You could maybe shave a hair off the bottom line of the plate in that area, or adjust the chamfer a bit, and almost no one would notice it unless you point it out.

That is a very nice frizzen spring, and as locks go, it looks good.  I'm not sure if it is the angle of the pics, but it looks like the breast of the cock could be faired a bit more smoothly.

The triggers look very impressive, nicely done!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:13:30 AM »
Brian, Don't try to make a copy of the Bogle rifle (it won't stamd comparison unless you actually have the rifle to copy) but rather something Bogle might have made and for that your stuff looks fine. Get the rest as good and you have a winner.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
Bill, I'm not going for a copy of the Bogle.This one has a little more virginia in it. I changed the profile of the butt some and made a more refined trigger guard. The butt plate is alittle flatter and wider than the Bogle and I'm using a different side plate from a southwest virginia rifle. I wanted something that looked a little earlier. And the cock will probably get some more attention also.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
It's easy knowing how a lock should look but hard to get that look. I never knew just how hard until I started trying to make replacement parts for locks to get the "right" look. You can take very small amounts of metal off and make it look great or you need a welder or another what ever. When I see a hand made lock now that looks really good I have a greater understanding in what it took to make. Guys like Jim Kibler and Frank House they really have a nack for making locks that look right and work right. I hope someday to get half as good.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
I saw these at the Log Cabin Trades Fair and they really are nice.  You'll have to show pictures of the gun when it's finished, Brian.