Author Topic: Inlay Question  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Inlay Question
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
I want to flatten a silver quarter to make an inlay out of it.  Anyone have any suggestions.
I don't have a press.  I was thinking about the local railroad tracks.  I do have an anvil.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Smith

Re: Inlay Question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
Ballnpeen it on the anvil. I just did a dime that way the other day. Took about 45 seconds. A quarter may take longer.
Eric Smith

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »
Rather than a ballpeen hammer, I would suggest using the flat face of a hammer.  One with a slightly rounded face seems to work well for me, but I'm sure isn't a requirement.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
Jim is right. I used the flat side of the ball peen hammer.
Eric Smith

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 06:04:49 PM »
You are going to have to anneal it very often to prevent it cracking. Just heat it red hot, and quench it in cold water. A sterling silver spoon from the antique store would make it a lot easier to make an inlay. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
Rob, I take all my silver scraps, melt them into a glob, and pound them out. I think a quarter would go pretty smooth by comparison. Anneal often and pay attention to your hammer, you can feel the silver work harden, many small hits over a few big ones works best.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:57:25 PM »
The railroad track method will either make it too thin, or you will never find your coin again. They sometimes stick to the wheel and get carried away. I found this out in my youth when I could ill-afford to loose a quarter >:(
Tom C.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »
I have a local Jeweler buddy roll out. he also does bar stock brass from Reaves!! Anneal to soften after cutting out shape. then Engraves like butter.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 04:01:08 AM »
Another option is to find one of those 20 ton presses that uses a hydraulic jack and put pressure on it until it is where you want it.  When I worked at a Rural King store about ten years ago, we put 3 pennies stacked and pressed them out quite a distance.  Just an idea.  It might be a little safer than the tracks but probably not as fun.   ;)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
The railroad track method will either make it too thin, or you will never find your coin again. They sometimes stick to the wheel and get carried away. I found this out in my youth when I could ill-afford to loose a quarter >:(

...or the coins squirt out like a bullet. Get stuck in your skull, have to pull it out with pliers.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.