Author Topic: bivins centennial rifle  (Read 14610 times)

jim foster

bivins centennial rifle
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:36:09 PM »
Hi can any of you fellar's tell me where I can find some pictures of Mr Bivins centennial rifle. I 'm interested about his carving. thanks Jim

Offline J. Talbert

Re: bivins centennial rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 01:00:30 AM »
There were actually 50 of these made, one for each state.  The furniture and profiles were basically the same for all, but the details, carving, engraving, patchboxes varied from gun to gun.  The guns were a joint project of Bivins, Mark Silver, Monte Mandarino, and I think, Jack Haugh.  Who did what on each gun, I don't know.
Jim Chambers had several on display at the CLA.  He may have pictures of some???
If he sees this he'll probably let you know.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:08:18 AM »
I think there might be pictures of one in the Track of the Wolf archives that they sold a few years back. If you pay a small fee they will give you access to all past images which is a pretty good deal since they have some great photos. There was also one for sale in the Cabela's Gun Library that was posted on the net, though that was some time ago.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:38:03 AM »
    Actually there were 200, as it was the bi-centenial.  I had # 2 which was built by Jack Haugh.  Gun # 1 was built by John Bivins.  The # 2 gun had a Siler lock that was marked L & R inside as LC did some of the lock assembly for these guns.   Each gun was in a basic Lancaster style with a two piece patchbox.  The carving and engraving varied.  I have photos of three of the guns, but they are not in an electronic format
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:55:10 AM »
Jeff, I believe you are a little confused about the Bicentennial rifle project.  It had nothing to do with each state, only PA.  Here's the introduction I had for the Bicentennial Rifle Project display at the CLA show this past summer:
"The year was 1975 -  V. Donald Hartnett, a history teacher from Johnstown, PA, conceived an idea for helping Pennsylvania celebrate the country"s Bicentennial.  He made a proposal to the PA State Legislature that they commission the manufacture of a limited production (200) of Pennsylvania longrifles.  The project was approved under the chairmanship of Lt. Governor Ernest P. Kline with Mr. Hartnett as the Project Director.  Thus was born the "Bicentennial Rifle".
Two of the premier gunmakers of the time accepted the contract to make the rifles.  John Bivins from NC and Jack Haugh from IN were to make 100 rifles each with Bivins using odd numbers 1 - 199 and Haugh to number his with even numbers 2 - 200.  Tom White of OH agreed to make all 200 scrimshawed and numbered powder horns.  Sally Sutart (a well recognized Johnstown, PA artist) designed and made two plaques that went with each set and hand painted the display racks.
All of the barrels were made in 50 caliber by Robert Paris of Gettysburg, PA.  C.E. (Bud) Siler of NC supplied all the flintlock mechanisms and assisted with the production of the hardware.  Joe Scorsone of NC did the initial machining of the stocks.  Monte Mandarino and Mark Silver moved to NC and helped John Bivins with the production of the rifles.
Each Bicentennial set included the rifle, a powder horn, tow plaques, a target shot with the rifle, and an instruction booklet on the proper use and care of the rifle and horn.  The cost of the Bicentennial Rifle Set in 1976:  $2250."
While the lock, stock, and hardware was the same for all the rifles, the carving and engraving was different on each one.
I currently own rifle #1 by Bivins and #200 by Haugh.  I also have #93 which came from the Cabela's gun library.  
If anyone is interested in purchasing a Bivins rifle I know where two are for sale.  One is the one Bivins purchased for himself, and is now for sale by his widow.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:31:06 AM »
Jim,
Apparently so... I hope I got the rest of it right anyway.
I know we talked about them at the CLA show, but I guess I had the number 50 mistakenly in my head prior to that.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:30:11 AM by Jeff Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 05:42:03 AM »
Some pics sure would be great.  hint hint
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

billd

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:54:30 AM »
Did all of these sets sell in 1976?  Where did the profit go, back to PA?

Bill

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
the Bivins #93 is a beautiful rifle,i had the chance to examine it at great length,,
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Madcaster

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
 I remember the pictures,and wish I could see them again.

lew wetzel

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »
i think i took some pics of them at the cla show.will check my photobucket to make sure and post them..

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »
Bill,
No, all 200 sets did not sell.  So far, no one can remember exactly how many were sold.  Mr. Hartzler has all the records from the project, but cannot find where his late wife stored them.  He has promised to send them to me when/if he finds them.  Based on the numbered guns around I know that they were close to finishing all 200, but I don't have the exact number.
I have no idea where any profits went from the project, probably back to some PA politician.  I'll try to find out next time I talk with Mr. Hartzler.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »
Bill,
No, all 200 sets did not sell.  So far, no one can remember exactly how many were sold.  Mr. Hartzler has all the records from the project, but cannot find where his late wife stored them.  He has promised to send them to me when/if he finds them.  Based on the numbered guns around I know that they were close to finishing all 200, but I don't have the exact number.
I have no idea where any profits went from the project, probably back to some PA politician.  I'll try to find out next time I talk with Mr. Hartzler.
Jim: That begs another question - any idea what happened to the unsold rifles? ::)

jim foster

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:55:42 PM »
Thanks everyone. 44- henry you are correct . I got to digging and found it. I thought   they were modelled after a Haines rifle but was not sure. Thanks JIM

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 06:26:57 AM »
Roger,
There were never any "unsold" rifles left over.  They were made and delivered as orders came in.  Late in the project orders really slowed down, John, Jack and Mr. Hartzler all grew weary of the whole project, the IRS got involved in wanting their 11% excise tax and a battle ensued about that, and the project ground to a halt.  Mr Hartzler had Jack Haugh make the final (#200) rifle and embellish it far beyond all the others for him personally, and the project was finished.  About four or five years later (early 1980's) Mr. Hartzler sold both the #1 Bivins and the #200 Haugh rifles to a collector in PA who kept them under his bed, out of sight of everyone (even his kids didn't know they were there) until last year when I purchased them.
I believe Joe Scorsone still has the original pattern from which the stock were machined.  The molds for all the hardware were eventually sold to Track of the Wolf, and those parts are still in production.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Jim, those rifles are a very important part of the MODERN history of our craft.  Would it be possible to see some pictures?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bioprof

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »
I think I have a copy of an old Gun Digest or something similar that has a picture of two of the Bivins rifles on the cover.   I'll try to look it up later today.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »
We are very busy here at year's end, but I will try to post some photos as soon as time permits.
There was an article in Gun Digest in 1976 (I belive) with photos of John, Bud Siler, Mr. Hartzler, and rifle #1.  I'd love to know if the rifles were featured in any other publications.

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 01:43:06 AM »
Here is a photo of Jim Chamber's display at the 2008 CLA Show. Sorry, I don't have any close ups of the rifles.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:43:55 AM by Eric Fleisher »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 10:02:08 PM »
I found a Muzzle Blasts cover and story from January 1776 about the Bicentennial rifles and Bivins.  Could probably photocopy and send to anyone, after I call NMLRA headquarters to get the OK.

Off topic, how did Bivins die at such an early age?  I never heard.  Terrible loss to the community.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 10:52:04 PM »
A Janurary "1776" copy of muzzleblast would be a real collector's item.  Ha!  But, even a photocopy of a 1976 one would be great to have.
John died of cancer.  Yes, it was indeed a great loss to our sport as well as to the world of antiques in general.  John had researched and written books on pottery and antique furniture among other subjects.  He did two videos on how to spot fake antique furniture and another video on racing bikes.  So much more to John than most people realized.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 11:16:07 PM »
I have a couple of close up photos ar the following link:

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/cla-show-bicentennial-display.php

One is of cheek piece side of #200 and the other is a close up of one of the horns. Sorry I didn't take more.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »
A Janurary "1776" copy of muzzleblast would be a real collector's item.  Ha!  But, even a photocopy of a 1976 one would be great to have.
John died of cancer.  Yes, it was indeed a great loss to our sport as well as to the world of antiques in general.  John had researched and written books on pottery and antique furniture among other subjects.  He did two videos on how to spot fake antique furniture and another video on racing bikes.  So much more to John than most people realized.

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I only have the cover and the accompanying article on Bivins- tossed the rest of the mag when I was gleaning.  And my wife Susan says I never throw anything out!
Andover, Vermont