Author Topic: Melchior Fordney tang carving  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Melchior Fordney tang carving
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:16:34 AM »
One of the details frequently omitted from longrifle photos is the tang carving.  I'm doing a boy's rifle with Fordney influences (horse head patch box, etc.) and would appreciate any photos of examples of the tang areas on his rifles.

Thanks,

Larry Luck

Offline Dave B

Re: Melchior Fordney tang carving
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:57 AM »
You know I am sure at some point in time He did a tang carving on his guns but I have yet to find one in my collection of photos. several of the guns he did that funky checkering on the wrist which takes up the space you would normally have a tang carving.  I would certainly be interested in any one out there that has a Fordney piece with a tang carving example they would like to share with us. Here is a Fordney at auction that shows the side veiw of the  lock panel side plate and tang. You can see there is no tang carving with how he dose the wrist checkering {carving} http://www.amoskeagauction.com/90/81.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:45:18 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for the reply and for the link.  I have those photos in with my Fordney photo archive.

Here's one photo (a detail from the KRA CD N1V1) depicting a M. Fordney that sure looks like it has tang carving.

Can't see much, but the area between the tang and side panel looks to have relatively conventional carving and the tang appears to have raised carving that may terminate in some incised detail.

Larry Luck

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:22:27 PM by Larry Luck »

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:58:03 AM »
Frankly, as much as I like Fordney, I've never seen any tang carving that I liked. So don't do it. THERE'S SO MUCH ELSE.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  Good advice.
Larry