Author Topic: What to do with Pyrodex?  (Read 20678 times)

HardBall

Re: What to do with Pyrodex?
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
Here is what the safety data sheet says about Pyrodex

Waste Disposal Method:   Wet thoroughly with water to dissolve the powder.

Thanks for that info Chris, I appreciate it.

A couple of lbs. are in the newer plastic bottles but most of it is in the old cardboard containers which I know are 25+ years old.  Since Pyrodex has a reportedly short shelf life I wouldn't be helping any local person even if I knew someone who was interested in it.

Thanks to all for the input.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:48 PM »
Give it to them or maybe someone with a cannon.
Not sure you can even do that. A friend of mine says that they do not allow anything but real BP to fire in the cannons that the local clubs have. They used to use Pryodex but stopped because of some problem but I forget what that was. The local re-enactors also stopped using it and now only use real BP
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

William Worth

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »
See if you can shoot an anvil with it.

Or use it for fertilizer.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 03:40:56 AM »
Here is what the safety data sheet
"safety data sheet"? 

not sure what that is and am real sure it ain't PC  ;D
Hold to the Wind

brazosdave

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 07:32:04 PM »
For the time being here, it is all you can purchase locally. I just ordered a rock tumbler and am going to make my own b.p. But I shoot pyrodex all the time and haven't encountered any problems with it, especially in my revolvers. You're going to have to clean them anyway.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
This question just won't go away, will it? Gun shops keep selling it to the uninformed. We just need to keep spreading the word that Real Black is the real deal. Too bad it's become hard to find local sources.

I think clubs do a fair job of informing and arranging bulk buys, but the isolated newbies get stuck with the advertising and hype and availability of the gee-whiz powders.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

jamesthomas

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
 I checked the 1/2 can I have, it still looks good, I've had it since 1996 the 50th anniversary of Hodgdon Powder Company. It has an $11.50 price tag. I would give it a try to see if it's any good but all I have is a Flintlock. O.K. guys I just took it out back an tried it, just a half a palm full, (no I did not have it in my palm when I tried it) Well, it went off like a rocket :o. But whether or not it's still full strength is another matter, but the way it went off I would have to say yes, it's 16 to 17 years old. I wish I still had my .54 caplock Renegade to try it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:17:56 PM by james e »

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »
"give it to someone with a cannon" 

In 2003 we had just set into a pos to the right of an artillery unit we were supposed to be screening.... everything was real nice and quiet, the sun had just set when all of a sudden a huge colum of light errupted from the artillery position... Almost fell of my vehicle... just then someone came over company tac net... Redlegs will be burning off some of their powder bags...

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 06:12:03 AM »
What to do with Pyrocrap?  Leave it where someone you are mad at will find it.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »
I checked the 1/2 can I have, it still looks good, .... Well, it went off like a rocket :o. But whether or not it's still full strength is another matter, but the way it went off I would have to say yes, it's 16 to 17 years old. I wish I still had my .54 caplock Renegade to try it.
it's not about that.

it's about the speed and efficiency with which "perchlorated" powder residue attacks and destroys barrel steels (bp residue does not act in this fashion).  for the sake of your bbls -read around: here's a start:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18632.0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:50:14 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
I can only tell you what I did with the P-dex that I had left over - I flushed down the toilet.

JMC

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 09:15:08 PM »
I can only tell you what I did with the P-dex that I had left over - I flushed down the toilet.

JMC
Good idea,  I know of 2 rifles (none of them mine) that had to be rebarrelled after the guy used the P for a while

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 05:09:48 AM »
This is the last container of Pyroduh I bought.  Circa 1983.  Sill 3/4 full.

I will never purchase another.  Darn near lost a trapdoor springfield because of it.

I have met folks over the years who were prohibited from having explosives in their homes because of condo rules, etc.  They could have a propellant, ie Pyroduh.  It served a purpose, .............poorly.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »

I have met folks over the years who were prohibited from having explosives in their homes because of condo rules, etc.  They could have a propellant,
and the rules enforcers are going to look in the can and analyze your powder?  lame.  musta been a wife involved (SWMBO), or more people "lack initiative" than i thought.
Hold to the Wind