Author Topic: Replacement barrel for a Lyman Trade Rifle  (Read 6337 times)

inthealders

Replacement barrel for a Lyman Trade Rifle
« on: October 28, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »
I can not seem to find, in stock, a Green River IBS barrel for my 54 cal Percussion Trade Rifle.  I've tried I think all of the stocking sources; GR themselves, Midway, Brownells, Pecatonica, Track of The Wolf...  An exact replacement from Lyman is going to run $300 which is enough to make me wonder about other options, but I am not aware if I have any.  Can I fit a barrel with traditional breech plug?  Will someone install the hook breech off of my barrel, on a new barrel?  (I can build the remainder on to that new barrel - sights, lugs, thimbles..
Any advice?
Does anyone out there have a take off barrel from a Lyman 54cal perc. to sell?
Thsnks,
Ed

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Replacement barrel for a Lyman Trade Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
Ed, I am guessing you mean Green Mountain.  What's wrong with the current barrel?  From your post it's not clear what you're trying to do but why not get this barrel re-rifled by Bobby Hoyt or Ed Rayl etc?  Probably less expensive.
Andover, Vermont

inthealders

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »
Rich,
The original barrel is rustier than an anchor; totally ruined.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:00:21 AM »
It could be bored and rifled anew and be like new on the inside at least.  I'd think twice before spending a ton on a replacement barrel for a used gun that may not be worth more than the barrel when done.
Andover, Vermont

mike e

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:50:33 AM »
Midsouth Shooters has Lyman Trade Rifle barrels for $205.33 in their 2012 catalog. 1800-272-3000. www.midsouthshooters.com. They have the whole new rifle for $348.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:53:33 AM »
How deep are the pits?  has the bore been brushed etc...?  Do you have any pictures?  Are you looking to hunt or target shoot?   Just curious.

inthealders

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 03:06:06 AM »
Bore treatment (in no special order, which doesn't matter anyway because it is still looking like the guard rail off the Titanic inside);

swab with bore cleaner and patch;
scrub with bronze brush;
scrub with bronze brush wrapped with 000 steel
above also soaked with solvent;
tight jag with patch which has lapping compound slathered on it
above with solvent on it as well

total time for this session was about an hour.
Estimated number of passes; a billion.

It is probably safe to say it is not going to get any better and the current state has noticeable drag all through the bore and does a number on patches if left on for too many passes.

Thanks for the tip about Midsouth.  I'll call them tomorrow.  The rifle is going to be used for ML deer season (which is six weeks away and I still haven't pulled the trigger yet on my first ML !!!).  The pressure!!!

inthealders

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 02:35:29 AM »
Midsouth came through;  barrel on its way.
Thanks again for the tip.