Author Topic: Jeager Buttplate  (Read 3778 times)

powderflask

Jeager Buttplate
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »
How do you a acanthusleaf buttplate? Unlike most buttplates it can't be moved forward to take up any gaps.

Online Dave B

Re: Jeager Buttplate
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »
the secrec to the Jeager butt plate is shaping the butt stock to its basic barn gun shape then you only have to drop the butt plate down into place. Cleaning up the back side of the butt plate is a must. I used the Pozer parts copied from the Paul Pozer Jager Ron Scott has in his Collection. This is  the approach I used to put this one in place.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »
That's going to be a super gun. I do those BPs the same way, but they are a real PITA.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Dave is correct in his approach. This particular Butt Plate has a very vertical plate which allows a downward inlet easy. A plate with a negative pitched toe, may require inletting the tip of the finial as a first stage and then sort of rocking the heel down as the inlet proceeds. Either way, one should be accurate when cutting the wood off the end of the buttstock.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
Looking nice.  I'm liking the general outline of your carving.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
If possible, file a draft on all edges of the finial to follow the path that the plate will travel as it is let into the wood. The finial should get tighter as it is let deeper into the wood, no?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:22:08 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »
Hey, I've seen that butplate before!

Online Dave B

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 03:10:20 AM »
Thanks Jim.  I am using some impressions from an original as my guide. Though  now that this project has sat for such a long time I am not sure I will be able to locate the impression now.  Tom Where did you get that butt plate? I like the looks of it.
Dave Blaisdell

powderflask

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:34:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help. Just finished tonight and the inletting looks good.Will check again in the morning with a set of rested eyes and back before I screwn in place THANKS again.  John

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »
Powder, I had trouble with the BP screw on the lower tail of this plate; located the screw a little high by accident. So I drilled the screw out with a 1/2 drill, and glued in a plug of maple. Then I re-drilled in a better spot, and got it right the second time.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.