Author Topic: Help I.D this barrel...  (Read 4278 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Help I.D this barrel...
« on: November 02, 2012, 05:00:29 AM »
I have 'acquired' a rifle project started by someone else now deceased that he abandoned 25 + years ago.  The barrel is a 7/8 straight 50 caliber 42 inches long with no markings of any kind except 7 8 and 5 8 in 1/8 inch stamped numbers under the tang not even a witness mark at the joint.  No champhering at the muzzle.  Although I finished that minor job.

I know that this is one of those hard to figure questions.   It appears that this barrel was part of a v well made parts kit.  Any ideas who made this barrel?

btw the flint lock was stamped Pete Allan and 32..  Quite old seems like.  ::)

Halp, anybody!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 04:49:30 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline LynnC

Re: Help I.D this barrel...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »
Roger - Didn't you ask a similar question a short while back?  Maybe it was another barrel?

Anyway, I think the 7 8 and 5 8 means a 7/8ths barrel with a 5/8ths plug and no clue as to maker - sorry no real help

There was a barrel maker ID by lands and grooves thread in the BP Shooting a while back - How many lands and grooves?  How did it file? Easy?
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »
Roger - Didn't you ask a similar question a short while back?  Maybe it was another barrel?

Anyway, I think the 7 8 and 5 8 means a 7/8ths barrel with a 5/8ths plug and no clue as to maker - sorry no real help

There was a barrel maker ID by lands and grooves thread in the BP Shooting a while back - How many lands and grooves?  How did it file? Easy?
Well now Lynn the 7  8 and th 5  8 was a given but could be a clue to someone that know/knew a maker that stamped them thataway.

I'll check the number of lands and grooves (right now I'm tired)  The grooves and lands appear to be equal in width.  Thanks for asking.  Jeez did we stump the stars?
Yes she filed easy enough..
Halp.

She has 7 of each!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:54:08 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:34:49 AM »
More important is how smooth the tube is, and will a tite patched ball push evenly thru the bore.

Is the barrel outside a milled finish, rolled finish, or sanded?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:44:21 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 05:40:26 AM »
7 8 and 5 8 in 1/8 inch stamped numbers under the tang

Those numbers were put there by the breechplug maker, not the barrel maker.  I've got a whole bunch of them marked that way.  It's probably an old Numrich or Dixie barrel.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »
More important is how smooth the tube is, and will a tite patched ball push evenly thru the bore.

Is the barrel outside a milled finish, rolled finish, or sanded?
Doubt if its milled since she's smooth as a babies ---.  I ran tight fitted 4/0 wool through the bore and she be silky smooth.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »
7 8 and 5 8 in 1/8 inch stamped numbers under the tang

Those numbers were put there by the breechplug maker, not the barrel maker.  I've got a whole bunch of them marked that way.  It's probably an old Numrich or Dixie barrel.

I assumed the same thing..  Numrich I do believe were good barrels the Dixie haven't a clue.  What say you?

Thanks, T..

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
Some barrels by Dixie were drawn octagons.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 11:21:38 PM »
I had at one time, a Numrich that had no markings but other wise the same as yours except the groves were wider than the lands. Smooth inside and was a real good shooter.   Smylee

ottawa

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 02:22:50 AM »
dose it have shallow rifling? Ive had a couple numrichs that had rifling that barely showed up but man did they shoot