Author Topic: Finally finished the Iron Mounted Virginia Rifle  (Read 15094 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Finally finished the Iron Mounted Virginia Rifle
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »
Marc, you've created a truly wonderful rifle...one that I would have been proud to have built.  As has been said, your furniture, particularly the guard, is outstanding.  There are some things about the architecture that I don't understand;  different from my limited experience.  But I like the overall look for sure.
Question if I may:  how did you stain and finish the wood?  When I have used AF, I cannot get the depth and definition in the curl that you have here, nor the red undertones.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
Thanks guys. to some of the questions.
the wood came Freddie Harrison. the original rifle had not carving and is still a great rifle. I struggled with weather I should carve or not. I wanted to carve a rifle so I went with some ideas that I have seen on Brass mounted virginia rifles.
I stained this rifle with Aqua fortis. I am not sure how to get consistent color especially with the reds. It seems like you can vary the mixture and get different results. I don't mix my own so I use what I have and usually just get whatever color comes out. I can make it darker by doing multiple coats. Speaking of multiple coats I used tried and true varnish on this rifle. Afterwards a coat of renaissance wax.

some iteresting things about this rifle. The wrist on the orginial is not round it is diamond shaped for lack of better description. I have not held any Lehigh style rifles, but it is not quite as pronounces as the rifles Allen Martin makes. But it is there. I tried to incorporate this detail on this rifle, but my barrel was skinnier than the original which limited my ability to fully capture this detail. I am not sure if the brass mounted counterparts of this era have the same detail.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »
A great looking rifle; particularly  the iron mounts.
Gene

Offline bgf

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 11:21:03 PM »
some iteresting things about this rifle. The wrist on the orginial is not round it is diamond shaped for lack of better description. I have not held any Lehigh style rifles, but it is not quite as pronounces as the rifles Allen Martin makes. But it is there. I tried to incorporate this detail on this rifle, but my barrel was skinnier than the original which limited my ability to fully capture this detail. I am not sure if the brass mounted counterparts of this era have the same detail.

You got it in my opinion!  I tend to think of it as "pear-shaped" cross section, with the lower portion being the "wrist" and the upper portion connecting the tang to the comb.  Some iron mounts leave the shaping a little more raw than the Sheets, and some brass mounts round things out more (so the wrist becomes more like a tall oval), but they never completely round the wrist and separate the comb the way most people expect from other types.  That's my untutored view of what is going on.

ken

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »
Great looking Rifle. I like the lines . and think the nosecap is very well done !! How did you widen the triggers and witch Davis did you start with? Again very nice work

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 02:00:06 AM »
Marc, what time period is this gun from? Also, when you say northern VA, what counties? It has some cool, and different qualities to its architecture.

Once again, wonderful job!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 02:58:55 AM »
Marc, I'm using AF that I mixed using Ferric Nitrate crystals and water.  This mixture produces a muddy colour of brown with zero red undertones.  What do you use, and where can I get some?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
I can't comment on the time period. I think there are much more qualified people who can comment. The barrel is large. The cal seemed like it was 50 or better. This is all by memory though. Some say it could be as early as revolutionary war. But it could be later.

I have used the Wakon bay before. I purchased it right after it was brought back on the market. It was extremely strong. It usually goes to black quickly. The stuff I used on this rifle was made by a friend or at least given to me. I don't know what is in it. But I do like that it does go toward red. I wish I could give you better information on it.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Me too also wishes you knew more better about the color.  Because i certainly don't want the mud Taylor speaks of.

Awesome wood and color.  Three more cheers for Freddie and Pat down there in the other end of the state. 

(It's "above my pay grade" to comment on anything beyond colors and grain.)
Hold to the Wind

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 02:57:05 AM »
Marc,

Very nice!
It all works as far as I'm concerned.  You're iron mounts are top notch.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »
Marc........still looking at your gun, really nice.    I wish I could get a finish like that on my guns.........Don

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »
Very nice job!
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

MarkEngraver

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
Really nice clean gun, Marc !
I really like the nose cap and beautiful patch box.

Mark

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »
Mark a really nice rifle you need to show a close up of the patchbox ingraving. You also need to start making your own triggers that way you could have made the stud with the screw running through it to adjust the front trigger. We all know you have the tallent to do it. Have you had the little one out hunting again yet?