Author Topic: New Shop  (Read 5044 times)

voyageur1688

New Shop
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:47:01 PM »
  A friend of mine wants to start carrying M/L's and M/L supplies in his store as the nearest place to get supplies is over 50 miles from here and to buy an M/L it is about 100 miles unless you want to go to Walmart, but he wants to find a book thatt can teach him about them first. Can anyone recommend a good book for him? He knows nothing about them at all at present, and wants to be able to give honest and accurate advice to his customers.
  Thanks.
 Todd

Offline awol

Re: New Shop
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 03:17:43 PM »
He could join the NMLRA, which offers a booklet on the muzzle loading basics as well as Muzzle Blasts magazine.  Some authors of books on the subject, perhaps available at libraries, are Maj Geo. Nonte, Sam Fadala, Rick hacker.  These are older books which deal with traditional muzzle loaders, not in-lines.

straightshooter1

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:58:58 AM »
I assume he is in N. Minnesota. Not much up there for muzzle loading resources.
Sam Fadala's books are a good place to start. I could also send him some muzzle loading educational material from the NMLRA if he'd like. I am also a certified Muzzle Loading Safety and Education Instructor for the NMLRA. I do have access to some other material if he'd like.
Point him my way, I'd be happy to assist.
Rick
Brooklyn Park, MN
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:00:17 AM by straightshooter1 »

voyageur1688

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 06:18:38 AM »
  We both live up in Ely, Mn. and there is nothing for supplies around here.
 Todd

northmn

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 05:20:14 PM »
It would not hurt for him to stock some of those books.  I have been through the Ely area.  Lots like my country only more liveable.  15,000 population in the summer in the surrounding region and about 5,000 in the winter in the Walker area.  Lots of tourists and smowbirds.  Really great places to live.

DP

Offline trentOH

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »
I think you and your buddy should go to Phoenix for the NMLRA Winter Shoot and see what the merchants there have to sell and start to learn what they know. Going to Friendship Indiana in June for the National Shoot, or in September for the National Championship would be closer, but of course wouldn't be an excuse to go to Arizona in the Winter.

omark

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »
I think you and your buddy should go to Phoenix for the NMLRA Winter Shoot and see what the merchants there have to sell and start to learn what they know. Going to Friendship Indiana in June for the National Shoot, or in September for the National Championship would be closer, but of course wouldn't be an excuse to go to Arizona in the Winter.

wondering when the shoot in az is. going to see my sis down there and would like to stop in.      thanks, mark

voyageur1688

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 03:56:56 AM »
 Would love to go to either of those events, but time and finances just do not alow for it. Also I heat with wood only and do not have anyone that can tend to my house or pets for me to go anywhere like that.
 Todd

Offline trentOH

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 12:12:35 AM »

wondering when the shoot in az is. going to see my sis down there and would like to stop in.      thanks, mark

The shoot is February 11-16 at the Ben Avery Range. I've not been to it, but the range is supposed to be huge, like a half mile long.
You can read more about it at nmlra.org   Click on Western National Shoot.

omark

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 04:07:24 AM »
trent, thank you, mark :)