Author Topic: Has she finally started to fail...  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Has she finally started to fail...
« on: November 06, 2012, 02:44:56 AM »
Last couple of shoots my teflon patching shows torn patching (Torn)...and some fliers..?

Checked her bore with tight patch and checked the muzzle with a Q tip for any hooks etc. found ziltch.  My load was and has been .454 ball .017/.018 teflon and 85 3 f goex for the 100 yarders.  (I use other patching and spit in closer.. ::)

Am a bit stumped in what is causing said torn/cut patching (not burned through).   I suspect that maybe just maybe this combo that I have been using for years with v good results might be just too tight.  btw the teflon patching is new in past 2 years.  (Have no idea how old it was b4 I bought it)  Tomorrow the plan is to change patching and do some 100 yd bench shooting.   

I'm told that the experimenting is part of the fun.... ::) ;D

Harnic

Re: Has she finally started to fail...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »
Maybe your patching is as old as we are Roger... ;)

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 04:57:25 AM »
I don't think that's possible, Harry.

dagner

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:24:25 AM »
  have you changed ball starters     that has been culpret in lot of all of a sudden bad patches   hope it is something that simple   we have got bad batchs   brand new teflon  patch before 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
  have you changed ball starters     that has been culpret in lot of all of a sudden bad patches   hope it is something that simple   we have got bad batchs   brand new teflon  patch before 
Ball starters, what the Hey!   No ball starter is sameo, sameo!   More testing coming.

Harnic

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »
Hah!  I can't speak for Roger, but I know from my experience when I haven't changed anything & the rifle including the bore is still perfect, there's only one place to lay the blame...  :-[

xring2245

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:44:18 AM »
Roger,
     I had that happen with my .50 cal. York County Rifle.  I was shooting a .501 ball with a .022" patch.  Retrieved the patches after noticing some uncalled fliers.  They were UGLY!!!!..  I switched to a .490 RB with .016-.018" patch and was back to a one-hole group.

I may have this rifle with me on Sunday at your shoot if I don't shoot it Saturday at Blue Mountain.

James

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:40:50 AM »
I noticed this when I was delaying between swabbing and loading allowing a bit of the moisture to dry. For my target guns, they prefer a damp patch to swab followed by load and shoot, no dry patch. If there is a chance that I waited too long a bit of spit or windex on the Teflon fixes issue.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 03:54:35 AM »
Holy Canolies I had set down a whole session of a post describing what I found out today at the range and lost it...

Bottom line old limp prewashed teflon tore up regular with .454 ball and 85 3 f goex and shot flyers.  Tried 2nd batch of teflon coated patching which was stiffer and unwashed & seemed tougher...I also started to wipe w/seperate patch tween each shot.l  All patches I found were perfect....And the shots started falling in to the black on a 4" blk bull at 100 yds bench rest.

Patches all miked .018 including the prewashed patches..So seems I found the problem.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:29:34 PM by Roger Fisher »