Author Topic: Different wood for pistol stocks  (Read 11574 times)

Offline KNeilson

Re: Different wood for pistol stocks
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »
I live in BC and have often wondered about Arbutus, or Madrone wood. Anybody from here tried this?  A little info from Wikipedia...  Regards    Kerry
The wood is durable and has a warm color after finishing, so it has become more popular as a flooring material, especially in the Pacific Northwest. An attractive veneer can also be made from the wood. However, because large pieces of madrona lumber warp severely and unpredictably during the drying process, it is not used much. Its most important use is as firewood, since it is a very hard and dense wood that burns long and hot, surpassing even oak in this regard.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 04:28:30 AM »
Madrone has been used for gunstock wood.  Ron Scott has used burl madrone on at least jaeger rifle that I"m aware of.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
Here in Canada we have many local trees that make fine wood for gunstocks ( pistol)
Apple, cherry,maple,elm,walnut,ash,birch,ironwood,mountain ash,honey locust, and black locust, just to name a few.
Locust is deep brown red in color, way too heavy for a long gun but great for pistol.
What more could you want?
Fred
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:44:14 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 02:41:06 AM »
Old Ford2, great info. I looked up some images of the woods you are suggesting. Now I know have a small Honey locust in the front yard, and recognize the imagery for Black locust also, actually like to smell the blossoms in the spring when I see them. However I am unaware of what you may be terming as ironwood. I always thought it was Lignum vitae (tropical).  Care to provide a Species as opposed to nickname?

Vomitus

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2012, 04:24:20 AM »
Kerry,
Some ironwood here (BC) is also called Ocean Spray.It's more of a bush then a tree. Real hard though.
Holodiscus discolor
Bow and arrow wood,sorry.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:00:33 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 04:44:11 AM »

Here, "ironwood" is  Hophornbeam, Ostrya virginiana
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:49:56 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 06:28:13 AM »
Reply to: KNeilson
Ironwood in north eastern North America can also be called Blue-Beech tech. name  Carpinus caroliniana
These trees are not very big, you have to rely on the shape of the trunk to get the pistol contour.
However the wood blank does dry well and fast.
I hope this helps.
Fred
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:33:07 AM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
Fred, Wade, LB, thx Guys, good info. As per the OP, using local wood other than Maple/ Walnut  I find of interest. LB, I have seen "Ocean Spray" used for utensils, pretty looking stuff. You can see how it was named as it seems to like being right on the shoreline. I know of a few Arbutus stumps around some new building around here, I`ll have to keep my eyes peeled on them...I`ll update when/if I can get some sawn up. regards...Kerry