Author Topic: Wedge Key finish  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Wedge Key finish
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »
What do you do with regard to preparing the end of the wedge key?  For example on a pin I would put a small set mark in the end so the punch used to remove the pin would be held in position and not scar up the surrounding wood.  On the key, I was thinking of making a small slot on the end of the key so a mated tool could ride in the slot for the same purpose.  What are your experiences with this issue?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Wedge Key finish
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »
I've filed a shallow V in the end.
Andover, Vermont

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:15:25 AM »
I file a shallow groove.  I remove, or move in case I have a slotted key and keeper, with an appropriately sized screw driver. :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 01:05:36 AM »
I too cut a shallow 'v' with a safe sided triangular file.  I don't think 18th c. gunbuilders did anything to the ends of the keys/slides.  But the groove is a definite plus when you push the key out with a driver.  The English often used a v groove.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 01:28:28 AM »
...and I case harden my keys.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:35:04 AM »
Okay, thanks for confirming my thoughts to put a groove on the key, helping with removal.  Since I am using keys without escutcheons that is even more useful.  Now D.Taylor hits me with a new requirement to learn how to case harden.  I know the general methods but have never practiced it.  So anticipate questions on case hardening once I dig around a bit to figure out an intelligent question.  Thanks for the help.