Author Topic: Stepped Wrist Done  (Read 7820 times)

Offline KLMoors

Stepped Wrist Done
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »
Hi folks,

I finished up this gun a week or two ago and I finally got to take some pictures. I has a 42 inch, Rice, D-weight, .58 cal barrel,  a Chambers Germanic lock with some slight modifications, a buttplate that was salvaged from a bad casting, and a piece of wood from Dave Keck. I am not sure where I got the trigger guard, but I filed it quite a bit to get it to resemble one from the KRA Moravian CD.

The stain is a combo of Danglers orange and LMF maple and walnut. Finish is Permalyn sealer.

This is the first gun where I did some distressing of the wood. I usually age the barrel and hardware and don't get all medieval on the wood. I know it is not some folks "cup o' tea" but I am real happy with how that aspect came out.

The detailing is a mix of my ideas and some ripped off ideas from the Moravian CD. For instance, I only slightly changed the tails on the critter carving behind the cheekpiece from the Albrecht gun.

It is my first gun of this style so please feel free offer comments and critiques on any and all aspects of the build.

Hmmmm, photobucket has changed. I'll keep working on the pics.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 10:45:37 PM by KLMoors »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Stepped Wrist Done
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »
Really nice architecture and execution.  Show us closeups of the cheekpiece carving!
Andover, Vermont

Offline cmac

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »
VERY NICE! I've been wanting to do a stepped wrist for a while. Love the look of them

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »
I think your aging of the wood is very tastefully done...and effective.

I like the overall look of this rifle, the carving, the shape of the stock, just about everything about it. I particularly like the 'folk-art' look of the carving, it's a bit PA Dutch, and some chip carved look to it. Very nice effort, a gun you can be proud of, and one anyone else would be proud to own.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:00:06 AM »
wow!
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 01:33:13 AM »
Nicely done Ken, i love the color.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 02:09:44 AM »
Thanks guys.

Rich, here is the closest shot I took of the butt. There is actually a lightly carved mane on the critter. But it doesn't show at all in the pic. The little rings were done with ye olde nail set.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:12:59 AM by KLMoors »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 03:28:36 AM »
I like it better than the original.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 03:38:19 AM »
I like it too, its pretty nice.  Well done!
Eric Smith

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 05:07:14 PM »
I like everything about it. To me it looks like a very well taken care of original. The finish is excellent ;D Ya got skills
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 02:29:35 AM »
Very nice!.    There is so much to like.  You must have spent a lot of time on all the forearm moulding, and I also like the carving around the comb termination as well as the patch box cover and cheek side relief carvng.   Very well done.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 02:32:07 AM »
Fantastic!!!! NOthing not to like about that.

Coryjoe

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »
Yessir now that is easy on the eyes. A very nice piece of work!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 04:03:36 AM »
Very well done, Ken!  I think you captured the look of an early piece very nicely.  The more I look at it, the more I like it!  Thanks for posting the photos.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline draken

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »
That is one fine-looking rifle, you certaimly have talent!
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

oakridge

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 04:45:56 PM »
I didn't know what to expect when you said you did some distressing of the wood. YIKES!!!! Well, I was quite relieved when I saw the photos. Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
That's a pretty nice gun.  Seems from what I remember, this is a little different approach than your previous guns.  Think you are on a good path.

Jim

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 10:32:12 PM »
Thanks again folks. It is all very much appreciated.

Oakridge, it is funny you should mention the distressed wood thing. It worried me too! But, once the finish was on and I got used to it. I felt that part of it came out OK.

Jim, yes this is a different approach for me. I had been spending more time on my "crispness" and engraving lately. I wanted to try doing one more quickly than I usually do. Something more "in a workmanlike manner"  so to speak. I thought that this early type of gun would be a good one to try that approach on.

I've been able to handle a couple of Mike Brooks' creations and they got me wanting to try my hand at this type of look. I really enjoyed it and it opens up a whole new bunch of things to learn to try and get it to look halfway decent.

I was talking to Dave Keck this morning and our discussion made me realize that I hadn't made note of the fact that this is his Edward Marshall profile. As usual, his workmanship was as good as it gets. I always ask him to do the barrel and RR, and leave things real big so I am able to screw up and still have plenty of wood to fix it!   ;D  That's exactly what he did.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
WOW! You got everything right on that rifle, it's beautiful. That style is my favorite and you did a great job on it. Thanks for showing it to us.

Ted

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
That's a real nice rifle.  Be proud - real proud!

JMC

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 08:48:57 PM »
I am starting to like the stepped wrist rifles more and more. I like your carving of the devil dog. I think it is my favorite animal carved on a rifle. I also like the wood finish.
good job.