Author Topic: Rifleing Twist  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Old Ford2

Rifleing Twist
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »
I know and prefer round ball works better in traditional longrifles.
However is there a formulae to calculate projectile length & weight, velocity, and rotation speed to achieve stability in flight of  a "bullet".
ie: why is 1:60 good for a .45 rb, and a .45, 405 grain bullet need a 1:22 twist
I know there has been many hours of study to achieve this information, but is there a formulae?
This question relates to the use of R.E.A.L. bullets in the .40 cal. in a previous discussion.
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Rifleing Twist
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »
There are formulae for elongated or conical bullet stabilization,  Greenhill's and Miller's, that would be applicable to REAL bullets, but not roundball.    Fadala's Black Powder Loading Manual    has a qualitative discussion of roundball and twist rates.   

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/math.html  ,   at the very end of the page has a discussion of Greenhill's formula.

Fadala's discussion in appears in sample pages the publisher put online at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=SLlPI_UPdxUC&printsec=frontcover&hl=zh-CN&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
I don't remember which barrel maker it was, but one of the well respected barrel makers submitted an article to either Muzzle blasts, or Muzzleloader magazine regarding optimum twist for round balls. It might have been Ed Rayl, but can't be sure. He stated that the optimum twist for .45 cal. was 1 in 56". I am inclined to agree, because I stupidly sold a world class ugly homegrown rifle without first shooting it. The rifle was built around one of Dixie Gunworks drop in muzzleloader barrels designed to turn a trapdoor Springfield into a muzzleloader. The twist in this barrel is 1in56". I can honestly say I have never shot a .45 Cal. muzzleloader that shoots any better than this extremely ugly gun. The article also states that 1 in 48" is near optimum for .40 cal., and I must say that also has been my experience. My own experience with a 1 in 66" twist in .50 cal. also seems to confirm this theory. I am not sure just what the formula is for calculating optimum twist, but am sure there is one.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »
I know and prefer round ball works better in traditional longrifles.
However is there a formulae to calculate projectile length & weight, velocity, and rotation speed to achieve stability in flight of  a "bullet".
ie: why is 1:60 good for a .45 rb, and a .45, 405 grain bullet need a 1:22 twist
I know there has been many hours of study to achieve this information, but is there a formulae?
This question relates to the use of R.E.A.L. bullets in the .40 cal. in a previous discussion.

Projectile weight is not a factor in finding the needed twist, only length.
The Greenhill formula was developed for rifled artillery and has proven to be only ball park for small arms. It will produce a twist that will work but its off about 2" for BPCR with heavy bullets, 500-550 45 for example. The needs of artillery are different than for small arms.
For example departure angles and the angle in relation to flight path when the projectile arrives on the target. This can effect penetration on hard targets. This is why the M1 Abrams tank has a smoothbore gun that shoots "darts".
The original Minie is nearly a dart, like a Foster slug used in shotguns, and will give military accuracy in a 72 twist as a result. The Brennke slug has wads permanently attached that act as fins. The minie does not compute with Greenhill.

A high departure angle an cause some projectiles to become unstable past the mid-point of their trajectory at long range when the "relative wind" begins to impact the projectile behind the nose rather than on the point. This is apparently more pronounced with highly streamlined bullets like the 155 gr Palma Bullet used in the 308 at 1000 yards.

Very short bullets like the REAL shoot fairly well in slow twists, I found years ago that even a 54 Maxi-ball would stay point on to 150 yards shot from a 72 twist. The REAL has been around for a long time and when it was originally marketed "modern" MLs with twists faster than 48 were unknown.
So far as the 40 Real bullet in practical use. It would be similar to a 38-40 or the more powerful 40-65 WCF for hunting. But like the maxi, the "ball-et" and the others these were developed to fill a PERCEIVED need by modern shooters and gun writers who were just industry shills, who believed the round ball was incapable of either accuracy or killing game. Or they wanted to hunt big game with a rifle that was too small in the bore.
But the 40 REAL will not outperform a 200-220 gr RB on game. For that matter at the long bow distances many people shoot in the east from tree stands and blinds the 40 RB will work. I am sure that back in the day a lot of game was killed with head shots. But with the arrival of Chronic Wasting Disease in some parts of the US brain and spinal column shots are no longer a good choice.

People who insist on shooting elongated projectiles should get a barrel with a twist that will shoot bullets PROPERLY.
Find the bullet they wan to shoot then buy a barrel to match. If I were to do this I would find a twist that would work for a bullet like the Lyman 456192 then have the barrel cut with a .455-.456" BORE so the bullets could be run through a luber-sizer after being cast.  But finding someone will cut one from real gun barrel steel will likely be a problem.
Short bullets will stabilize at hunting ranges in twists from 25 to 60 inches depending on caliber. Some of the Win. 50 express rifles had twists in the 56-60" range but were not noted for their accuracy. Most of the short bullet cartridges like the 40-65 had twists in the 25" range. Its in Cartridges of the World if someone is interested.

Here is a site with a calculator.
http://kwk.us/twist.html
I put in numbers for a 45 I would use a 18 twist in, 1.5" long, 1300 fps and it gave me a 17.6" twist. Sharps final LR rifles used 18 twists in 40 and 45.
It gives 83" for a .535 RB at 1900 fps.
So measure the length of your bullets and go for it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
I am sure that back in the day a lot of game was killed with head shots. But with the arrival of Chronic Wasting Disease in some parts of the US brain and spinal column shots are no longer a good choice.
Dan,
Just curious as to why CWD brain and spinal column shots are no longer a good choice? I know that CWD affects these areas but does it lower the chance of a kill or just possibly destroy the evidence of CWD?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

northmn

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 07:09:42 PM »
Don Getz onetime mentioned that for a roundball barrel if he used one twist it would be a 1-48.  Years ago they used to argue that slow twists were more "forgiving" and could use a larger variety of loads.  You can get some amazing accuracy out of about any normal roundball twist.  REAL bullets and Maxiballs were made to be shot out of 1-48 twist production rifles like the TC Hawken.  Also, if you look at a 45-70 barrel you sill find that the depth of rifling is a lot shallower than for a patched roundball.  Winchester lever guns were often made in "Express" which used short bullets in large cases like the 300 grain bullet in the 50-90.  They were also made in slower twists than the ones for the standard long bullet loading.  Off the top of my head, I believe the 45-90 Express with a 300 grain bullet was used in a 1-38 twist in the 86 Winchester.  Roundball barrels are of course made slower with deeper grooves to accomodate the short roundball, fouling issues and a patch.

DP

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
I am sure that back in the day a lot of game was killed with head shots. But with the arrival of Chronic Wasting Disease in some parts of the US brain and spinal column shots are no longer a good choice.
Dan,
Just curious as to why CWD brain and spinal column shots are no longer a good choice? I know that CWD affects these areas but does it lower the chance of a kill or just possibly destroy the evidence of CWD?
Dennis

From what I have read it greatly increases the chances of the KILLER/EATER of the critter getting CWD. Since perfectly healthy appearing animals may still have the early stage prions in the brain, spinal cord and certain organs.
There are numerous writeups on it and the info seems to change all the time.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/CWD/Pages/CWDHome.aspx

Dan

billd

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Bob Hoyt told me a good rule to follow for round balls is twist should be 125% of the caliber.

Bill

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »
Hoyt may have been the source I referenced. The old rememberer doesn't work as well as it used too.
  Since someone mentioned the Winchester express calibers in the '86 Winchester, I'll relate another story. A friend bought an 1886 Winchester rifle in .50 express. The gun was about 90%, and the bore was as good as any I've seen. We built some loads for it, and took it to the range. It had a hard time keeping three rounds on a nine inch paper plate at a hundred yards. We researched our loads, changes seating depths, tried different bullets, and had the chamber examined by a gunsmith. Nothing worked, everything we tried made very little improvement in accuracy. Several years later I had a chance to talk to an old boy that had been shooting, and collecting, for about seventy years. He got bitten by the gun bug at the knee of his father, and uncle. He said the '86 Winchester in 50 express is a great collector but not a great shooter. He had owned several over the course of time, and had not found one that would shoot as well as the 45 express. His theory was that Winchester didn't produce the 50 express with the optimum twist, and the bullet wouldn't stabilize. I think he may have been correct. With a modern firearm we could have probably run the charges upward some, and still remained within safety standards, and gotten a little better performance, but with a valuable antique that wasn't an option. The right twist can make all the difference.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
The Winchester 50 Express or 50-110 used a 1 in 60 twist and a 300 grain bullet.
A sorry idea to say the least. I had one years ago and used a 450 grain bullet and
it shot very well. I even had some brass cases that were headstamped 50-100-450
with the WRAco headstamp. It's been about 50 years ago but I think the barrel was
marked "50-110"WCF.I owned a Sharps that I had Bill Large make a barrel for and I made
a chambering reamer for it and had some fun with it for a while. I THINK it was a 1 in 48
twist but I am not certain. Whatever it was,it shot well and I later sold it to a friend who
later gave it to one of his sons.

Bob Roller

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 03:40:26 AM »
I had Douglas cut a 1:56 twist .50 barrel for me.  Goal was to achieve same revolutions per second with a lighter charge.  worked out well.

It has been mentioned indirectly on this thread but remember depth of rifling has a large part to play in making a barrel a RB shooter or a bullet shooter.  Bullets have much more bearing surface to engage the rifling and seal the gases.  Rifling .010-.015 deep works well with round balls and good patch combinations but is hard to seal when using a bullet.  This is where I would expect the using a over powder wad would be the most beneficial.

Most of us speak of 66, 70 or 72 twist barrels as roundball barrels.  What is unsaid is the depth of the grooves which is usually deeper and not condusive to bullets.  Factory 48 twist barels are usually button rifled and .006-.008 deep.  They work well with bullets and PRBs if the combination is tight and the charge mild.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 01:49:30 AM »
Most of the inexpensive production rifles with 48" twists have buttoned barrels with rifling only up to .004" depth.  The tests through the 70's with attempting to deep-button rifle barrels resulted in a lot of them splitting due to excessive internal stress produced by the button as it was being dragged though the bores .

I was in Hall Sharon's shop  in Kalispel watching this process in the Spring of 1975- April or May I think.  His entire shop shuddered as the button was pulled through the barrels, pressing out the rifling as it went in fits and starts - shuddering it's way through- bung, bung, bung. The interiors of the barrels that didn't split, appeared faceted tight/loose/tight/loose, all the way up the bores.  Looking through a barrel at a 60 watt bulb could give you a headache.  They were very smooth and shiny, literally polished, just appearing & feeling faceted.

When running a tight patch through the bore of a tightly patched ball, you could actually feel it - like tiny internal rings.  I tried one of is .36 cal deep buttoned rifling of .008" depth on my 'try' stock and it gave poor accuracy at best. I went back to my Les Bauska barrels.  

My first rifle ML rifle was a TC .50 with .004" rifling depth. Taylor's TC had .0025" rifling and friend Tommy's TC has .0015". Mine shot the best with round ball.  Every one of them shot best with a .022" denim patch and a .495" ball - TIGHT- and 75 to 85gr. 2F - IIRC.  Calling them a ball or slug twist was merely advertizing BS to sell ML rifles with rifled barrels produced with the cheapest possible method of production.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:51:57 AM by Daryl »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
I have seen barrels that looked like what Daryl describes internally
At the time Shiloh started making 40 cals they were getting barrels from someone else and apparently the 40 button pulled harder. This was while in Farmington while I was working for their then distributor. I think Navy Arms was supplying the barrels at that time but this is hearsay. At any rate some 40 barrels would come through with  lot idiot marks in the bore.
The big old broaching machine Wolf was using at Big Timber did not care. It there was a hiccup like an air bubble in the hydraulics it pulled the button off the rod. It never lacked in power. But Shiloh never made deep groove barrels. Being more like 3.5 to 4 thousands.
Buttoning puts more pressure on a barrel that most would believe and cold rolled steels, "Stressproof" in this particular case, tend to have a high failure rate compared to hot rolled GB quality steels like 1137 or 4140/50, very, very much higher in the same calibers with the same button.
This might explain the failures that Daryl mentions.

Dan