Author Topic: Noll & Nunnamacher, Better Pictures?  (Read 3594 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Noll & Nunnamacher, Better Pictures?
« on: November 11, 2012, 10:51:54 PM »
I recently completed a long rifle and posted it here.   

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=23558.msg225613#msg225613

There were several subsequent, and greatly appreciated, constructive discussions about design, engraving, carving, architecture, etc., that I have taken to heart as I begin to finish the next of three rifles I also started many years ago and then stopped as I learned here on ALR how much I didn't know.  In my original discussions about the above post, I neglected to mention that the two rifles that probably most inspired what I was originally attempting to do had shown up in a single photograph on the cover of a book published by the KRA in 1985 (The Kentucky Rifle, a True American Heritage in Picture).  I bought the book when it first came out and admired the two rifles on the cover ever since.  (Side note, Bill Shipman built a magnificent rifle generally patterned after a George Kreps rifle that had also caught my eye in this  book - page 49.    http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5337.0)

Here is a poor scan of the poor condition book jacket that I still have so you can see what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, the book contained no other photos of these two rifles.  There are two other Noll rifles, but not the one on the cover and no mention at all of Nunnamacher (lower one in the picture above.)

I have found a few more fairly poor, black & white photos of this same Nunnamacher rifle in the book "Accouterments" by James Johnson and a few more photos of both the Nunnamacher and Noll rifle in "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age" (Kindig, et al, 1971)

My question is, in the past 30 or 40 years, has anyone published any more and better photos of these two lovely rifles?  I do not know if there is even another Nunnamacher rifle known to exist.  I would think that someone somewhere would have published better photos, but I can't seem to find any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:07:42 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Noll & Nunnamacher, Better Pictures?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »
Dave, you might want to post this in 'Antiques' since these two circles don't intersect 100%.

I know, I know, I am weak in geometry; either circles intersect or they don't.

tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

raszpla

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »
guns delicious, beautiful

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »
Hey Thomas,

Can I post it in both places ? ...since circles either intersect in two places or are only tangent to one another :)

Oh, $#*!....I did it anyway.  Just delete one or the other if you think it best.

DC
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:10:44 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:35:25 AM »
If the circles are part of a Venn diagram, they can intersect as much or little as you want. ;D

Offline VP

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:26:47 AM »
Corey Joe,

If you are interested, there are some great pictures of a John Noll rifle on the latest CD from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation website. There are 14 pictures plus the first photo has enough dimension that you can scale the photos for copying. The link to the store is as follows:
http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/#20years
Unfortunately, they don't have any pictures of a Nunnamacher rifle.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »
"Maryland Longrifles" by Hartzler/Whisker has some good pics of the Nunnamaker rifle, plus another, plainer gun by him.  Book's been out of print for a while though...
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"