Author Topic: Finally finished the Iron Mounted Virginia Rifle  (Read 15314 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Finally finished the Iron Mounted Virginia Rifle
« on: November 15, 2012, 08:13:41 PM »
It has taken me forever to finish this rifle and even longer to post pictures. I don't know how to post links to earlier post, but I had previous post showing how I forged the butt plate and also the guard. It is based off of an original rifle that was iron mounted. It is attributed, but not signed. The original had and iron patchbox, but not carving. I decided to make a slightly fancier version that had a little engraving and some carving. This is the second rifle that I have carved. There are some areas that I would do differently next time. I tried to be faithful to the guard and buttplate. The rifle is 50 cal and has a 42" getz light barrel. The lock is Jim Chambers and the triggers started out as davis, but I modfied them what I thought might look best. Mostly they are much wider. I am always open to critique to help improve. Please ask questions.
Marc

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:14:02 PM by M Tornichio »

Offline M Tornichio

Re: Finally finished the Iron Mounted Virginia Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
Very Nice Mark!!!!!!The  hardware is terrific!!

Mitch
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:20:56 PM by aka tallbear »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 08:52:11 PM »
Yes indeed, very nice. Looks like everything in a good rifle is in that one. I like it.   Smylee

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »
Great build.  That nosecap?  Wow!!

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »
Marc, excellent work.  I like the style and think you have kept the engraving and carving very appropriate to the rifle.  I have some question about the nosecap.  It is extremely well executed but puts it a lille more into the Ian Pratt school than the Virginia mountains. 
It looks very good, including the nosecap, and I am just exploring your artistic choice.

Heinz
kind regards, heinz

TinStar

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
That's a home run!! That rifle proves that iron is elegant !
I have always liked iron and dark stain. Great job!!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »
Verrry nicely done! Elegant, understated, and all there.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:25:37 PM »
I've been confused by this one since CLA.  I think you should have gone with the other patchbox as the morally correct option, but that one looks mighty fine in iron :)!  Possibly you should have changed the motif (chevron?) on the triggerguard when you swapped boxes...doesn't it give your switch away?  Heinz has a point about the nosecap, also, but it too looks great.  Those are just nits: It is one fine looking rifle and it is hard to say whether the work on the hardware or the stock shaping (etc.) is better.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »
Marc that is a very nice rifle. You have done very well from one end to the other.  Sweeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 12:56:35 AM »
Well I just like looking at it............ very nice Mark, and the carving looks good from here too!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 01:05:57 AM »
Thanks for the compliments. I changed the box from the original because the original was awkward or at least less than graceful. I knew I wanted to carve the rifle and I felt it would not be up to par. Which is also why I changed the side plate also from the original. The muzzle cap. Well I know it was wrong. Ok way wrong, but my client requested it. I like if for what it is. I should probably be taken out back to the wood shed for it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 01:07:33 AM by M Tornichio »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 01:24:38 AM »
 A Beauty Marc.

Tim C.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 02:28:03 AM »
I don't know much about the architecture for those guns, but I think it looks very nice indeed. I love that sideplate- very interesting, graceful, bold, and delicate all at the same time. I have no idea if it's HC but I LIKE it. LOL

You first picture really shows the pretty lines of the gun.

Be careful with your background removal around your carving. The area above an behind the cheekpiece seem to droop down to the carving.

Way sweet work overall.  Very crisp shaping.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 02:36:12 AM »
The muzzle cap. Well I know it was wrong. Ok way wrong, but my client requested it. I like if for what it is. I should probably be taken out back to the wood shed for it.
Whew! Glad to hear that, my knees buckled when I saw that nose cap on that wonderful rifle ;D Even though I have seen pewter nose caps on higher class rifles I have always thought they were replacements.

Still a great looking rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »
I think it looks great. I like the color and your carving ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline duca

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 04:18:11 AM »
WOW! Very Sweat! Good Lines. Now go build another...........LOL
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline cmac

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 04:35:13 AM »
Wow! Very Nice! The only thing I can see "wrong" is that the front part of the trigger guard bow seems to lean slightly to the lock side(and I looked pretty hard). I love that whole rifle. Where did you get the wood?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 04:49:16 AM »
Marc,
Exceptional!!! From the hardware to the wood to the execution, you hit the nail on the head with this one.
Mark
Mark

Offline rsells

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 05:26:36 AM »
Marc,
Really nice work.  Very hard to beat a nice iron mounted rifle with great lines like this one.  Take care and see you down the road a bit.
                                                                        Roger Sells

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 05:29:13 AM »
Marc,

I love it!!!  Wished I had done it!    Your iron mounts are just wonderful.    I am not sure anybody does them better.

Mark E.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 03:52:19 PM »
Marc........great rifle.  So many nice things about it that I like.   I am not a student of southern guns and there have been
comments about the nose cap, what is wrong there?   It such a nice clean gun, to me it would look better if there was no
carving on it............Don

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
Marc - great rifle - you and I have discussed it several times as it prgressed and so I don't know what to add other than I am just really impressed with your iron work.

Don - the original used as the inspiration for the architecture and mounts on this gun was shown in the American Traditions article on iron mounted guns last year - it was not carved (with the exception of some nice moldings) but is from a school of gunmaking up farther north in Virginia where carved brass mounted guns were typical - so not really an Appalachian style iron mounted gun - but the product of a very different gunmaking culture really.   So although not typical, the addition of the carving is something one might have seen on an iron mounted gun in this style, as opposed to the more common, Appalachian style iron mounted rifles we think of  which were usually severely plain with regard to decoration.  There are a few other examples of iron mounted guns - mostly from Virginia and Piedmont North Carolina - that have some relief and/or incised carving.  I think what folks were getting at with regard to the nosecap is that the poured nosecaps when used were most typically seen on Appalachian style guns.  Hershel began using them years ago as one of his stylisitc elements on his guns and so they have become popular as a common accepted part of iron mounted contemporary guns but the original rifle in this case had an iron nosecap.

Regardless of all that, man, what an impressive rifle!

Guy

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 05:11:22 PM by G-Man »

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
Marc--
Very nice work. The iron work is simply great!

SPG

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »
Marc,

Looks very nice...any targets?

Steve