Author Topic: Another question on resolving barrel and mainspring conflicts  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Another question on resolving barrel and mainspring conflicts
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:14:16 AM »
Just finished resolving a mainspring conflict with the barrel by filing a little off the corner of the mainspring.  However, I had the thought that if I knew in advance a little more clearance was going to be required I could have achieved it with a shim silver  soldered onto the back of the bolster.  In the case of the gun I am working on that shim would have been approx 1/64 to 1/32 thick in order to have solved my breaking through into the barrel channel.  What is you opinion on going this route? 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Another question on resolving barrel and mainspring conflicts
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »
I don't like it so much if it creates a gap between frizzen and barrel.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Black Hand

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:26:57 AM »
I guess I don't understand why it's a problem?   File a little off the spring and go...

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35:33 AM »
Acer, it wouldn't create a gap if I soldered it in place before inletting the lock.  In effect it would just be making the bolster a little thicker.  If the lock is already inlet it wouldn't be a way to fix the problem at all.  Some of the building books discuss filing a taper on the rear of the bolster to get the angle needed to produce proper stock width at the head of the wrist.  Why would this be any different? 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 03:35:36 PM »
Gap between the FRIZZEN and barrel.  Just take some off the spring, barrel or both. 

Offline heinz

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
I believe Acer is referring to a gap between the frizzen cover and the barrel.  If your lug is only on the bolster there will be a gap at the frizzen cover barrel junction.  An early contemporary maker, Bob Wolfe, always used a leather washer between the vent area and barrel to adjust for a wider area in the wrist.  That also has some problems but works.
I do not find a problem with breaking through the ramrod channel.  Structurally that thin covering of wood at the bottom of the lock inlet over the ramrod channel is not important.  I always taper my ramrods so there is some extra room in that part of the channel, actually I often need the smaller ramrod diameter to clear the front lock bolt :-)
The primary concerns in the lock area should be function: 1) a good tight seal of the bolster and frizzen to the barrel 2) a solid pillar of wood from the  bottom of the tang at the breech to the trigger plate that furnishes a place for the trigger guard lug 3) sufficient clearance for the sear and bottom of the mainspring so you do not eventually eat out a hole at the bottom of the lock inlet.
Tapering the bolster is an adjustment for not having a tapered barrel to accommodate an earlier wrist profile.  We used to do that a lot when swamped barrels were hard to find.  Today i would suggest starting with a swamped barrel if you want the early wrist profile and going with a straighter later wrist profile if using a straight barrel.  The swamped barrel does not help with breaking through the ramrod channel however, that is a function of barrel diameter and lock spring design.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »
Hindsight: Before you even draw your plans, lay the lock on the barrel, in the attitude you want to use, located on the imaginary touch hole. Any conflict with the barrel will be immediately evident.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
I had this problem on one of mine with not enough clearance between mainspring and ramrod.Tapering rod helped some but still needed some more room. The way I solved it was to make a little copper shoe half round to fit the diameter of the ramrod hole drill. I reinserted the ramrod drill with this "shoe" bearing against the side of the drill in the lock mortise where it had broken through and made a wooden block that would allow me to use a c clamp to exert pressure on the side of the drill forcing it to cut the ramrod hole wider away from the mainspring mortice. Problem solved.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 08:41:44 PM »
Heinz, you just gave me a "duh, how dumb can I get" moment.  Of course that would move the frizzen away from where it needs to be  - really had a myoptic thought process going there.  I resolved my problem earlier by filing a bit off the main spring but was thinking about future builds when I came up with this half baked idea.  Thanks.