Author Topic: .36cal Tennessee rifle  (Read 12094 times)

MarkEngraver

.36cal Tennessee rifle
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
I've been working on this one for myself for awhile and I finally have it done .... I think ?

Particulars are : 42"x 3/4" .36 cal, GM barrel , L&R Manton lock( slightly modified)
 Pecatonica - Tennessee Classic stock (shape modified/refined)
Iron/Steel furniture fabricated by myself
Poured Pewter muzzle cap
LOP - 14 3/4 " ( yeah, it's my long arms again )

Inscription says : "Unto the Eye ... Swift and Sure ... Let Arrow Fly" with an arrow running through it.

Silver Arrow flying through a Gold ring.

It's a slender thing with that 3/4" barrel, but she sure feels good in the hands when you shoulder her.
Hope you all like it, and critique is fine.  ;D

Mark

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: .36cal Tennessee rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
Fine by me.  What's the drop?  Issat trigger your own thinking or copied?  Like the embellishments-the arrow more than the acorn.  that'd be the arrow on the bbl, can't see anything on the patchbox, but trust what you say.

okay, I enlarged the box shot...sweet.   I see it as a TN done either by an Engraver or for a fellow who wanted a little bit extra in a working man's gun.  but i'm a new kid with untamed enthusiasm and such.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:07:56 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
I like it real well..!!
Never understood why the .36 hasn't been more popular.
Congratulations..!!
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 12:37:02 AM »
Beautiful gun Mark, I like everything about it. The engraving and inscriptions are very unique, and of your own design, not a copy of someone elses.  Thanks for posting the photo's.
Kind Regards  Frank

MarkEngraver

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:23:42 AM »
Thanks you all.

The drop measures 4 1/2"
Gun weighs 7+ lbs.
I was going to make the trigger, so bought a cheaper one to use as a example at the Western National in PHX. Ended up just modifying the bought trigger to my purpose. Didn't like the angle of the front trigger ,so I cut it off, drilled it out and put a post in it to suit me, "fancied" it up in a drill press just for kicks and giggles.

The Acorn is for "squirrel bait"  :D ;D

Mark

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 02:54:15 AM »
I like it. What stain and finish did you use ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:14:05 AM »
Thanks you all.

The drop measures 4 1/2"
Gun weighs 7+ lbs.
I was going to make the trigger, so bought a cheaper one to use as a example at the Western National in PHX. Ended up just modifying the bought trigger to my purpose. Didn't like the angle of the front trigger ,so I cut it off, drilled it out and put a post in it to suit me, "fancied" it up in a drill press just for kicks and giggles.
The Acorn is for "squirrel bait"  :D ;D
To my untrained crazyeye it just looked like more.  I'm shooting for 4" @ 14" with essentially the same butt and guard (.54x42).  (Completion retarded by attack of fundslow.)  If mine looks 27.3% as good as that i'll be difficult to live with...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:19:23 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 03:41:11 AM »
of course i likes the cap have nothing agin the acorn.  hickory nuts are so hard to convey... :D

and how about a shot of the entry pipe?  I can't quite see that "high interest" spot.
Hold to the Wind

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 06:14:33 AM »
I like the acorn, arrow and nose cap. How do you like the 3/4" barrel. 7 pounds would make for a light rifle to carry around all day.
Good job

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
Real nice. That is a slim, trim gun. I don't know mountain architecture, but it looks nice to my eye. You scaled things nicely for that long pull.

MarkEngraver

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 10:36:04 PM »
Thanks again all.

The stock is Cherry stained with Aqua Fortis, which turned it BLACK upon heating it, I polished/sanded it back with 4-O steel wool.
Finish is 50/50 mix of linseed oil and Trueoil.

I like the 3/4 barrel, although it does present some issues being so skinny. I wish you all could handle it, she is light and slender. I have not had the chance to take her out yet and shoot her, I just got her finished.

Here's some other pics.

Hopefully you can see the inscription.

Entry pipe for Wade. Nothing fancy.

I may have to go deeper in the box for survival supplies !

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:49:32 AM »
thanks, yes i'm liking that particular "style" or none-a-tall best at this point.

now go save the mast crop from those tail shakers.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:25:24 AM »
Thats a fine looking rifle you have built. Anyone would be proud to own her.

Scout
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 06:26:45 PM »
Very nice Mark!!  I like the looks a lot!! And certainly well done. That is a very nice pewter cap...
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 07:14:38 PM »
Very nice! I like it. You forged the triggergaurd yourself? I like the color on the cherry. I havn't found anything I like better than aquafortis on cherry except nothing. Because cherry has such fine grain pattern I think any stain with pigment just makes it look dirty. I did one with aqua ffortis a few years ago and I think it has darkened some but still looks good. I also did one more recently with no stain and it seems to be darkening and looks better all the time. It will probablly be just right in about ten years!
Hope you can knock some squirrels'eyes out with it.
To answer one of the comments about why .36 isn't more popular is that in some states it isn't legal for deer but a .40 is.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 06:30:10 AM »
FTR TN now allows 36 for deer.  (i think the minimum was 40 not too long ago.)  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:35:33 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »
Beautiful rifle! 

Is there a tutorial on how to make the poured pewter nose cap?   ???

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »
Mark,
Fine looking rifle!  She's a real beauty.  I love the barrel inlay and the acorn inlay.  Great job all the way around.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »
Beautiful rifle! 

Is there a tutorial on how to make the poured pewter nose cap?   ???
yes, here or somewhere i'm sure i've seen one...but i just searched and didn't find it.  maybe we need a directory/sticky thing in tutorials.

second search yields a toot by KenG: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4669.0
Hold to the Wind

Mike R

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »
Very nice! I like it. You forged the triggergaurd yourself? I like the color on the cherry. I havn't found anything I like better than aquafortis on cherry except nothing. Because cherry has such fine grain pattern I think any stain with pigment just makes it look dirty. I did one with aqua ffortis a few years ago and I think it has darkened some but still looks good. I also did one more recently with no stain and it seems to be darkening and looks better all the time. It will probablly be just right in about ten years!
Hope you can knock some squirrels'eyes out with it.
To answer one of the comments about why .36 isn't more popular is that in some states it isn't legal for deer but a .40 is.

A .36 is a legal small game caliber, but many prefer the .32 for small game--in Louisiana where I live now, neither the .36 nor the .40 are legal for deer--the minimum big game [ML] caliber being .44.....in fact the .40 is also illegal for small game here, making it the ugly stepchild of calibers....not legal for hunting, but a great target caliber.

I love the rifle shown here--nice job!  I am thinking about adding a .36 to my arsenal but my .32 works fine...

MarkEngraver

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
David R. : yes, I made the trigger guard, as well as the rest of the furniture.
I do not have a forge so the pieces were "forged" cold,  annealed back with a Map gas torch, back and forth till I got things fitted. Pieces were then riveted together and Silver soldered for extra measure.
The material I used was just the  1/8th" weldable steel stock you find at the hardware store.

Why a .36 ?  I wanted to build a  long slender gun on a 3/4" barrel just for fun, felt .40 to be a little too big for such a barrel , couldn't find a .32, so .36 it was !

Ken G's tutorial on pouring pewter is what I followed. First time I've ever poured one, I did have to do it twice, as the first time I had a void in the pour.
Thanks Ken, great tutorial !

Mark

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 01:15:23 AM »
The poured nose cap turned out real nice.  Well worth the effort to pour twice.  Glad the tutorial was of some help. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
Nice rifle Mark.The poured cap is especially minimalist and clean looking.

I noticed you used a thin steel sheet stock for the buttplate and comb .What thickness do you use?
Some of the originals were quite thin .i' m looking for some guidance here on a similar project.
 I am working on making hardware.The first buttplate I hammered out doesn't have the look.

Secondly with a skinny barrel ,did you run into issues with the lock spring intruding into the ram rod hole?

Thanks for showing it.
Stuart

Dan H.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
I think you did a great job! I love the engraving & the finish on the stock. Well done.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »

Neither is the .32,and there SEEM'S to be a lot more .32's than .36's. I've yet to build a .36,but I'm not done yet!

This is a fine rifle gun! Good job on the color. Nice,pleasing flow to the whole gun. LOVE the barrel inlay!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!