Author Topic: .36cal Tennessee rifle  (Read 12091 times)

MarkEngraver

Re: .36cal Tennessee rifle
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
Thanks all,

stuart cee dub :
 The Butt plate and Trigger guard were made from 1/8" thick stock, once shaped and fitted they where draw filed and cleaned up ,the edges were filed to give a thinner thickness profile.
Patch box lid is .040 thick material.

The lock main spring did break into the RR hole a little but not enough to interfere with the 5/16" rod as it is tapered slightly on the end.

For the Butt plate, I fitted the two pieces separately to the stock. I fit the butt end first which was a bit over size, filed the edge to the wood profile shape. I used two screws to attach it to the stock.
 Then I inlet fit the heel piece (left a bit long) to  heel of the stock without the butt piece attached, used two screws to attach the heel piece. Then filed the end of the heel piece to mate with the butt piece. when I got those two pieces to fit right, I then drilled a hole through the pieces while they where attached to the stock for riveting together. I removed some wood on the end of the stock for clearance of the rivet, I then riveted the heel and butt pieces together while they were attached to the stock, removed the now whole butt plate and then I silver soldered the joint for extra measure.

It worked out really well to do it this way. Hope that helps with your project

Mark

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 09:00:28 PM »
Mark, That's a fine looking gun all around!
Thanks for showing it!
John
John Robbins

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 05:02:47 AM »

For the Butt plate, I fitted the two pieces separately to the stock. I fit the butt end first which was a bit over size, filed the edge to the wood profile shape. I used two screws to attach it to the stock.
 Then I inlet fit the heel piece (left a bit long) to  heel of the stock without the butt piece attached, used two screws to attach the heel piece. Then filed the end of the heel piece to mate with the butt piece. when I got those two pieces to fit right, I then drilled a hole through the pieces while they where attached to the stock for riveting together. I removed some wood on the end of the stock for clearance of the rivet, I then riveted the heel and butt pieces together while they were attached to the stock, removed the now whole butt plate and then I silver soldered the joint for extra measure.

It worked out really well to do it this way. Hope that helps with your project

Mark

Isn't that cheating? LOL ;D Thank's for the description. This is exactly how I'll do the next one! Great idea!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

woodburner

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 02:39:32 AM »
Mark, what a handsome rifle! Understated. This one goes in my "favorites"
file.  Thanks, Tim