Author Topic: "Safety" Primer  (Read 2893 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
"Safety" Primer
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »
We recently had a discussion about primers  (http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24135.0) and I posted a couple that I had made several years ago out of a .30 and .50 cal brass cases.  Here they are again:

About the same time I was posting those, Dennis Glazener was sending me a PM about a friend who had recently blown off part of his hand with a primer much like the one I had made out of the .50 cal case when it accidently caught a spark.  I thanked Dennis for the heads up and told him I was working on a primer that had a "blow out" safety feature.  Well, here it is.  It uses a modified plunger tube on the business end, but the rear end of the reservoir tube is not closed with metal.  The end is plugged with a thin leather disk sealed and water proofed with a drop of varnish.  It only takes a few psi to blow out the leather disk, so, if this one were to catch a spark, you might get burned, but the tube will not explode and there won't be any shrapnel.  (You could do the same thing with a little cork in a plain tube.)

Perhaps a little overkill, but then I had some time, some brass, an idea....and I like to keep all my digits in place.

By the by, while I was digging around looking for the brass, I found a powder measure I made when I was 10 for my first powder horn.  Not at all safe, but not bad for 10.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:30:14 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline bgf

Re: "Safety" Primer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:20:21 AM »
Nice work.  I was just going to drill a hole or two and put a piece of tape over it :)!  I've also been worried about my big (and heavy) brass bench flask -- less likely to go off (since it sits on a bench 6 feet from the firing line), but more trouble if it did.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:39 AM »
Well, here it is.  It uses a modified plunger tube on the business end, but the rear end of the reservoir tube is not closed with metal.  The end is plugged with a thin leather disk sealed and water proofed with a drop of varnish.  It only takes a few psi to blow out the leather disk, so, if this one were to catch a spark, you might get burned, but the tube will not explode and there won't be any shrapnel.  (You could do the same thing with a little cork in a plain tube.)

Perhaps a little overkill, but then I had some time, some brass, an idea....and I like to keep all my digits in place.
Dave,
Neat thought, should take care of the problem.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 03:00:22 AM »
That's a great design, I admire your skills in constructing it.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
Hi Dave,
I like the idea and your end result looks well done and functional.  I have a similar brass charger and may try your idea.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.