Author Topic: small stock crack  (Read 2596 times)

Offline doulos

small stock crack
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:55:16 AM »
I have a very small split in the toe of a Pedersoli Hawken. Its about 1.5 inches long. I have Titebond Ultimate wood glue and a assortment of cyanoacrylate glues i use for fletching arrows. I have all different thicknesses. I read Brownells Hot Stuff Glue that is used for small stock cracks is that type of glue. What should i use?
I can spread the crack slightly with a razor blade. And Id like to stop it before the toe cracks off all the way.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: small stock crack
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:21:54 AM »
If you have no gap after clamping then the thinnest will work the best probably.  If you can see any need to stain it because you expect to have some "fill" then Elmers stainable wood glue is what I'd recommend.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:22:47 AM »
For those small cracks that are pretty closed, I think a thin cyanocrylate is best.    Capillary action will draw it into the crack.   If you sand into the crack while the glue is still a little wet, it will hide the crack,  You do need to either clamp the crack closed or hold it until the glue sets.    

Offline doulos

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 04:59:18 AM »
For those small cracks that are pretty closed, I think a thin cyanocrylate is best.    Capillary action will draw it into the crack.   If you sand into the crack while the glue is still a little wet, it will hide the crack,  You do need to either clamp the crack closed or hold it until the glue sets.    

Thanks
I just glued it with some BoB Smith Industries extra thin cyanocrylate. I also had a very thin applicator tip that reached well into the crack . And where I couldnt reach in you were right it drew it in. It was bonded almost instantly but I clamped it any way. I sanded it a bit also it hid the crack pretty well like you said.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »
I cannot take credit for the procedure.  I learned it from Keith Casteel at Dixons.   I wrote it down in my trusty note book and use it often. ;)