General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Bark Tanning

(1/2) > >>

David Rase:
I am looking for information from anyone on this board that has any experience bark tanning hides?  Several years ago I wanted to bark tan some deer hides.  Along with the usual internet searches, I talked with a friend of mine who had successfully barked tanned quite a few hides.  In fact, I own 3 of his shooting bags that he tanned the leather himself.  To make a long story short, I never did get around to tanning any of the hides.  The bottom of my freezer is full of goat and deer hides, along with a dozen buffalo scrotums that I either need to tan or get rid of.  I prefer to tan them but need some help.  Any information or experiences you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.
DMR

Jim Filipski:
David,
Go to http://www.liv18thc.com/barktan.html

This is my little paper on Bark tanning. I have done a number of hides via bark tanning. Can't get any better leather
Jim

David Rase:
Jim,  Thank you for pointing out that you wrote that article.   Once again, the knowledge level on this board never ceases to amaze me.  It is definitely one stop shopping.  I did not make the connection until I went back and looked at the initials at the bottom.  Very informative article.  I see in the article you reference the Book of Buckskinning VII article by Mark Odle.  I am trying to see if any of my friends have that book so I can make a copy of the article.  I have volumes 1 through 4 and then stopped buying them as I got more into building and less into rendezvousing.  I am going to wait until warmer weather to get started on this project.  Winter weather was one of the reasons why I stopped.  Fleshing and dehairing cold wet hides in the November/December time frame got the best of me.   Thanks again.
DMR 

Trkdriver99:
JWF,
I read the article you wrote. I must say that it is very concise, to the point and very well written. I believe that I could follow the instructions and do a hide myself,,,,,but that involves a whole lot of Manuel Labor (Mexican President) so I think I will leave that to those who enjoy it. I believe I shall purchase the leather I need. My persona is a wealthy man and they don't do that stuff..
Ronnie

ps I am too old to do that anyway. Or I have a bone in my leg and it precludes that type of labors.

Jim Filipski:
Like I stated in the article :Yes it is a lot of work spread out over a long time so that to me means easy! I will be !@*%&@ to do brain tan! Too much work for a short period of time to create a dressed hide ...not leather!.

Dave you really do not need Mark's articles but they are informative. He is very  good as a teacher. Much to learn.
My paper is bare bones and if you use the magic of "common sense" that is all you need. ( that's how I used the gross pool cover as bating in lieu of chicken manure)
Hey if you guys have questions I will be glad to answer them. Got some @!*% nice leather out of the tanks over the years( some with partial hair on and even some fine woodchuck & squirrel!)
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version