Author Topic: Landis Valley Museum exhibit  (Read 7598 times)

Offline 490roundball

Landis Valley Museum exhibit
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
no sense waiting to the last minute  ::)

so we will be getting down to see the longrifle show during December before it closes.  I remember seeing on the Contemporary blog that they were looking for gunsmiths to work during the exhibit.  Is there going to be anyone there working in the next couple weekends?

and what else is close by to see, (i know about Dixons - been there - and its a given)  I see the Conrad Weiser buildings are closed. 
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline eastwind

Re: Landis Valley Museum exhibit
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:27:46 AM »
See the Landis Display as soon a possible---but we are now in talks about extending the Exhibit until June 2013-due to astounding attendance. Frankly, I told the State of Pa and Landis people it would bring in more people than they thought, they believe it now.

The Conrad Weiser home between Reading and Wolmelsdorf is now run by volunteers--mostly open on weekends, as is the Daniel Boone Homestead (original Boone farm) on the opposite side of Reading. Lancaster itself is a vibrant town--lots of development and with it traffic, but a cool town with numerous older buildings which impart the 18th century lifestyle.

Call Landis Valley at 717-569-0401 for the official word on the extension before getting underway. And ... buying the book before you get there adds to the experience.   ;D

Patrick Hornberger
Guest Curator
LANCASTER LONG RIFLE EXHIBIT at the Landis Valley Museum.
Patrick Hornberger

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:17:11 AM »
Thanks Patrick,  it would be great if more could get to see it.

I guess I will get the book on the way in rather than out.

Since lodging reservation are made - December its going to be.  We've made a side trip from Dixons to the Boone homestead a couple years ago - it was worth the trip.  the web site for the Conrad Weisner House says the buildings are closed.  I am sure we will find some sights to keep us entertained.

Rick
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:24:39 AM »
I hope they do extended until June because then I could make plans to visit it on my way to or from the Baltimore show In March. That's my only trip planned in that direction
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »
Well,  drove down to see the exhibit yesterday, arriving just a little later than planned.  I did get the book on the way in but did not have time to look at it.

My opinion - if you are within driving range and have not seen this collection, you should really make the effort.  They did say they are working at extending it but it does not seem to be a done deal.  If it does get extended make the travel plans.

There are some great guns shown here and although the display is simple, you can put a nose print on the glass and be inches away from the details on both sides of almost every gun. 

You cannot take pictures, I had meant to take a note book to take notes and sketch, but of course forgot, if you go you might want to think about it.

And one compliment to the museum staff, although the website and the exhibit hall tell you visit the gunsmiths shop, it was closed it seems except to tours.  On the way out, minutes before closing time I asked how one gets to see the shop.  The woman's response was that she had to go lock some buildings, if we would like to come along she would open it for us.  A veey nice effort.  So we got to see a few more guns in there.

Afterwards, relaxing, I looked at the book and told my wife, "i didn't notice that"  or "wish i had looked closer".  So if you are going and have the chance, do get the book ahead of time.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
It would be great if the exhibit is extended until June.  I spent several hours there in June, taking notes in my copy of the exhibit book.  But, like Roundball, later realized "I wish I had looked closer at this..." and ""I should have checked that..."  Unfortunately, despite my best plans, I'm not going to get back down to the exhibit in December.

Patrick, anything we can do to facilitate the extension?

Bill

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 01:00:19 AM »
Back in October I had the privilege of working in their Gunsmith shop as their guest gunsmith for a week. It was a real treat to be able to go into the visitors center everyday and look at all those "pieces of inspiration". A real pleasure. I would like to see it again & hopefully will.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

firelock-inc

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
December 6, 2012

I have the book on the Landis exhibit and have followed the articles in muzzle blast maz.

An chance of another book on the exhibit ?

firelock-inc

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »
December 7, 2012

Is there any chance of an additional book.
I have purchased the book and read additional
information in Muzzle Blasts, but there seem to
much that still needs to published before the desplay
goes away.

R Pasche

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
I think every gun is in the book,  there are some photo angles left out - such as the tang carvings - i took a sketch pad ( not like I am an artist )

the measurement like you get in the Rifles of Colonial America aren't there, but it would be my guess there was no intention of putting the book together as a builder's reference.  It is a historical view of Lancaster County's contribution to the art.

Bob Mac

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »
My wife and I were there in early November. Had a Daniel Boone interpreter and John Kolar to give presentations. I bought the book on the way out. Should have had it a few weeks before to make notes of everything I wanted to see. Looking at the book afterwards I realized how much I missed. Not a big problem if the exhibit is extended. I'm only an hour away and will make another trip. The whole museum is worth a trip.
Bob

Offline eastwind

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »
It's official--the Lancaster Long Rifle Exhibit at Landis Valley museum will be extended until June 10th, 2013.

As a sidenote: get the book, as we are almost out of it and have no current plan to re-print it.

Hope you get to see it ...
Patrick Hornberger
Guest Curator
Patrick Hornberger

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
thanks Patrick,

may make another trip then

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
Great News!  This may be a sign.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike L

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
I was there in October. Great exhibit, recommend it to everyone, if you are in the area definitely go.

billm

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »
Great!I live 40 min from there and will make my 4th visit..If you havent been there its well worth  the trip.