Author Topic: Gunmaker ID  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Gunmaker ID
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »
 I examined an antique percussion half stock rifle a few days ago, brought to me by the family, of a deceased friend. The barrel is marked in script KLUG. A close examination of the barrel, once removed from the stock, showed that the barrel had been originally on a fullstocked rifle. The breechplug is more than likely from the original rifle, and has a long pointed tang that goes nearly to the comb of the stock. The gun is currently .36 cal. but may have been smaller in the past. The barrel loops, where it was originally pinned into the full stock, were not dovetailed, but were fitted into a slot, cut, or milled, into the bottom of the barrel. the loops were peened in place, and were made of brass sheet metal. These loops have been filed flush with the bottom of the barrel now, but the peen marks are still visible. The barrel is quite short today, but the spacing of the original lugs indicate it was originally at least 40" long. 
 The tang shape, and the frugal use of materials makes me believe this might have been a southern mountain rifle. Do any of you recognize the name KLUG, or any of these features?

Hungry Horse   

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Gunmaker ID
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:00:42 PM »
In Curt L. Johnsons "Gunmakers of Illinois" Volume II page 280. He has a Frederick Klug. Fayette County 1850 listed as a gunsmith,38 years old born in Germany. 1860 Gunsmith in Vandalia. Fayette County IL probate records,Frederick Klug Died 1863.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »
I have never seen a rifle by Frederick Klug, so I can't really comment on what his style might have looked like.  The information in my book is about all I have on him. One might not expect a rifle by a German-born gunsmith to have southern details, but it depends on where he was in the USA, prior to his arrival in Illinois.  If this is the signature of Frederick Klug, it would be difficult to determine whether he made the original rifle, or the present rifle built around the recycled barrel.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
Curt;

The rifle as it is today is very much a California style, late (make that last) period squirrel rifle. It is possible that it was made from used parts, and signed by Klug at that time, although the signature on the barrel looks much older than the rest of the gun. The fascinating part of this little mystery, is that less than a mile from the present home of this rifle, a family named Klug lives, and have lived, for quite some time. None of the present day Klug's in this family have any recollection of a family member that was a gunsmith. Klug being a rather unusual name tends to make me believe there is most likely a connection there some where.

Hungry Horse

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »
It's the mystery and unanswered questions about these pieces of history, that fascinates me most.  Sometimes we get lucky, and the clues all fall into place.  I hope that happens with this one.