Author Topic: Looking for a nearby lock tuner.  (Read 5842 times)

4ster

Looking for a nearby lock tuner.
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:09:45 PM »
I live in the Seattle metropolitan area.  If possible I would like to find someone that tunes locks locally.  If not locally then recommendations for someone who will get the job done in a reasonable time frame would be appreciated.

The lock has has never been a champion spark thrower and is sparking less reliably over time.  I have been tempted to try this myself but the voices in my head are telling me not to do it. 

Of course this would be at the discretion of the locksmith but to give an idea of the scope of the work, these are the problems that I think need addressing:
In my mind this lock needs the frizzen resurfaced and rehardened.  I think the mainspring needs a little more oomph, compared to my Chambers it feels very weak and it habitually stalls on the foot of the frizzen.  And the geometry of the cock may need some adjusting since it batters flints pretty good and seems to throw sparks forward of the pan. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Looking for a nearby lock tuner.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
Sometimes the frizzen needs to be belt sanded smooth again. New age frizzens are through-hardened, so removing material to get to a smooth surface may help.

If the sparks are going too far ahead, the flint may be striking too high on the frizzen. Try bevel up, and a shorter flint. Watch where the sparks hit. This may help the 'weak mainspring' effect.

If none of that works, then off to the locksmith you go.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »
I just got back 3 locks from Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading. I won't say who made the locks but Brad did a fantastic job. Lots of spark and timed to perfection. The tumblers were soft and you could push them off full cock. I'm very happy with his work. It was not fast and was not cheap (which is relative) but well worth the time and money in my opinion. His # 717-757-5841. Naturally he is in PA! Bob

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:13:44 AM »
I have been doctoring locks for well over 30 years now and am happy to have the work.    I charge $25/hour for such work and can make or repair any lock part in a period correct manner.    It sounds like you have a couple of different problems as in the frizzen needs to be re-heat treated and your need a re-heat treated or a new mainspring.   If that is it,  that would be less than $200.   For $200,  I would repair and tune the lock better than new.    E-mail me at mark@markelliottva.com if you are interested in sending be the lock.   I am in Virginia, but the USPS would be happy to deliver the lock in 2-3 days for about $6.

Thanks,

Mark Elliott

P.S. Tom,  one of the problems with heat treating flizzens is that they must be the proper hardness at the surface.   Usually,  carbon burns out of the surface of steel that is heated hot enough to harden.   You need to add carbon back to the frizzen surface when you harden it.  I use Kasenite on Frizzens when I harden them.    Then I temper them to about 350 degrees.  I finds that both of these things are necessary for a good sparking frizzen.  Of course,  a good strong mainspring is important.   If the mainspring is a little weak, then adjusting the cam on the frizzen to better time the flip can sometimes help.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:20:38 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:23:32 AM »
Where can you get Kasenit? I have a littlew but no one seems to
have any and I heard it was discontinued 2 years ago. Anyone
have an answer and are there any decent substitutes?

Bob Roller

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:37:32 AM »
It was not fast and was not cheap

On the back of my business card's of my re-finishing shop:

Fast
                              Cheap    >  Pick two! ;D
                              Good

As soon as I get un-packed,I'll be sending a couple to Cabin Creek. Have heard nothing but good!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:38:41 AM by pathfinder »
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

4ster

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »
Where can you get Kasenit? I have a littlew but no one seems to
have any and I heard it was discontinued 2 years ago. Anyone
have an answer and are there any decent substitutes?

Bob Roller

Bob, this thread has a couple of links on Kasenit sellers and some alternatives:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=23948.0
I ended up buying some from Muzzleloader Builder's Supply.  It's repackaged into smaller containers.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:07:25 AM »
Steve,
On December 8th we will be having our bi-monthly Washington Historical Gunmakers Guild workshop.  This months meeting will be held at a members shop who lives just 5 minutes from the intersection of I-90 and I-405.  We would love to have you show up.  E-mail me if you are interested and I can forward you directions and information.  Bring you lock.
David
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:49:56 PM by David Rase »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
Go to the meeting Dave mentioned. You will not regret it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
Steve you wont be disappointed with the info you will receive in going. Dave Rase has built and heat treated many locks and is one of our local treasures of knowledge on gunbuilding.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »
4ster,MANY thanks and I will call MLBS today. I have lock orders from
that company.

Bob Roller

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
If at all possible don't pass on that offer from Dave, you wont regret the time invested, guaranteed.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

4ster

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
I will send Dave a note right after I click "Post".