Author Topic: Buying black powder  (Read 20258 times)

Rick G.

Buying black powder
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:45:38 AM »
Gunshops on Long Island where I live don't stock or sell black powder. When I looked on line many places want you to buy a case, or a 5 lb. minimum. Where can I get a pound of charge, and a pound of primer?  Thanx...

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Buying black powder
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »
Few gun shops stock  black powder as you have discovered because it requires an explosives license.  Look for a local club as most of them consolidate orders to purchase.  Gets better price and gets around the minimum order size as well.  Another place to look is at any of the larger NMLRA events.  Many times there will be a black powder vendor there. 

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:41:04 AM »
You and few of your friends can go in together on an order of 5 pounds too, just make sure to collect everyones money up front, pay for the order and then give each person what they paid for when it arrives.  You cannot sell the powder once you have it though, even if it is at cost.  Nor can you distribute the powder to people who otherwise cannot obtain it through legitimate means; IE- don't give it to bad guys.  This is essentially how clubs do it although they usually buy it by the case but you will still save money when ordering the minimum 5 pounds over buying one pound at a time.  Please always check your state and local laws first, just to make sure.

Also, understand that some prices are going to go up January 1, although powder may not be one of those that does you may still want to get more.  2f Goex seems a bit scarce right now; http://www.powderinc.com/
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

HardBall

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:08:32 PM »
I usually order 5lbs at a time from www.grafs.com.  It's usually cheaper per pound, however, to order 10lbs from www.powderinc.com  For just a 5lb order though, Grafs is a little cheaper by the pound than Powder Inc..

William Worth

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
One word.

Roadtrip. ;D

Better get as much as you can, while you can, if you want to have it.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
What are the requirements for an explosives license?   ???

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
Also don't forget that some of the large box sporting stores keep it "on the down low".   IOW you have to ask for it to find out if they have it (and then it has to be retrieved from the bunker/magazine). 

I think Bass Pro is one of those in this area. 

A BP shooting group I'm aware of  "gets up an order" when enough members need/want to replenish their supply. Similar groups may be in your area.
Hold to the Wind

Rick G.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
 ???  Wow. I called every gun shop on Long Island ( all 21 of em') and nobody sold bp. Only 2 sold pyrodex, and swore it works in a flinter. I also asked about Bp shooting clubs and had no luck there, either. Is there a website that lists NY clubs? I'm getting a new, just built Lancaster soon and would like to sight it in. Frustrating, it is.......

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »
Buying one can at a time is the pits.  One can doesn't last long enough to really get anywhere with your gun.  On line is much, much cheaper.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

HardBall

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
The only local place near me that sells Goex is a BassPro Shop and they don't even know that they carry real BP.  I think there's one guy in the whole store who knows that they keep real Goex in a powder vault in "the back".  If he's out to lunch, forget about it- they'll tell you all thier powder is out on the shelf.  Even when you can get them to get you a lb. of powder they charge $25 plus 9% sales tax so that lb. of hard earned powder costs you $27.25 out the door.

I just order it from Grafs if I only need a small batch of 5lbs.

Rick G.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 12:59:26 AM »
Thanks for posting the Graf's info, Hardball. I ordered 4lbs from them. Almost 100.00 w/shipping. Expensive stuff !!! 

HardBall

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »
Once you know which brand (Goex, Swiss, etc) and which granulation (2F, 3F, etc) you prefer you can place a larger order and get the price per lb down to a decent level.  You're best price per lb. will be with a full case of 25lbs but often at the 10 to 15lb order level the price per lb. is close to that of a full case.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 02:24:15 AM »
Check out the NMLRA web site, they usualy have a list of NMLRA clubs in any state that has one.

Rick G.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:54 AM »
Thanks Smylee. I'll check it out.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 05:07:23 AM »
What is the most you can purchase and keep on hand without license?  I think I may have asked before, was it 25#?

Offline draken

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 06:55:50 AM »
What is the most you can purchase and keep on hand without license?  I think I may have asked before, was it 25#?

In New York State you can have five pounds per each shooting member of your family.
No idea what it is anywhere else.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
Up to 50 lbs, as far as the Federal authorities are concerned.   State or local may have lower limits. 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
You and few of your friends can go in together on an order of 5 pounds too, just make sure to collect everyones money up front, pay for the order and then give each person what they paid for when it arrives.  You cannot sell the powder once you have it though, even if it is at cost.  Nor can you distribute the powder to people who otherwise cannot obtain it through legitimate means; IE- don't give it to bad guys.  This is essentially how clubs do it although they usually buy it by the case but you will still save money when ordering the minimum 5 pounds over buying one pound at a time.  Please always check your state and local laws first, just to make sure.

Also, understand that some prices are going to go up January 1, although powder may not be one of those that does you may still want to get more.  2f Goex seems a bit scarce right now; http://www.powderinc.com/
So, go schnuks with a couple or three shooting buddies order in a case (25 lbs) get the $ up front then you will have the makings to last a while depending on how much you shoot.....have your magazine in a safe place away from  any rugrats in the area. ::)  Grafs is good.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:39 PM »

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »
Rick G., Can't believe a local muzzleloader/Gun club & members wouldn't help you out!!! Move to PA. Our club buys powder twice a year and we use it for shoot prizes!!! Pretty sad that all your gun shops(21)of them  don't carry black powder.
Have nothing against New York state?, ::) but seems like their on the way to more gun control. good luck in your search!!!
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:48 AM »
Maybe Sandy washed them out? ???

Rick G.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
Rick G., Can't believe a local muzzleloader/Gun club & members wouldn't help you out!!! Move to PA. Our club buys powder twice a year and we use it for shoot prizes!!! Pretty sad that all your gun shops(21)of them  don't carry black powder.
Have nothing against New York state?, ::) but seems like their on the way to more gun control. good luck in your search!!!
  I'm in a new neighborhood and don't know anyone here. There is a range not that far away that is flinter friendly and I'm sure I'll meet up with a club or two eventually.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 03:51:26 AM »
Go to the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc website and look up clubs in your vicinity.

Black Hand

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 04:42:14 AM »
Where can I get a pound of charge, and a pound of primer? 
Just buy a couple of cans of 2Fg or 3Fg and forget the primer powder (4Fg) since it really isn't necessary.  You can prime with either 2Fg or 3Fg in a flinter.

Rick G.

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:42 AM »
Go to the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc website and look up clubs in your vicinity.
  I checked, and they're all upstate.