Author Topic: Just getting started!  (Read 3483 times)

Cannonball

Just getting started!
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
I'm new... so new that I'm still looking at all that goes into shooting traditional muzzleloaders. Which means $$$ how much will everything cost to get started??? The gun is easy to figure out, decided production vs. custom and budget accordingly, but being new I have no idea of what the "minimum" accoutrements should be.
Some things are obvious, bag, horn etc., but I'm looking at the stuff I'd never know as a newbie, like is it necessary to have a ball removal tool? patch removal tool?

In short is there already a list here talked about previously in archive?

Also what about measuring horns and where do I start with powder charges so I don't blow myself up the first time I shoot the gun?

Thanks,

Cannonball

Offline b bogart

Re: Just getting started!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:02:32 PM »
Well Cannonball let us know what caliber gun you have. Include whether it is percussion or flint, what kind of shooting you anticipate doing (i.e. bench shooting, woodwalk, target, hunting etc.).
This is a good bunch of rascals, and most all are very helpful.

And yes you will NEED ball puller and patch retriver. At least I DO! ;D

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:30:08 PM »
Take a look at this thread & it should get you the general idea:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5219.msg49306#msg49306

As to powder loads,  and not knowing whether you're thinking about shooting paper, squirrels, or elk,  you need to find a good magazine article on 'working up a load.'   There's potentially a lot of trial and error to determine best combination of powder, ball diameter, patch thickness, and patch lube.     First, the gun's manufacturer probably has some ideas on loading his product that he'll be more than happy to share with you if you ask, and there are books like the Lyman Black Powder handbook that should have articles dealing with finding a good load.    I'd start with 1 gr of powder per caliber; i.e. 50 grains of powder for a 50 cal or 40 gr powder for a 40, and go up incrementally to 1.5 or 2 gr per caliber until  I found a load that produced the tightest groups.  Black Powder is pretty forgiving stuff, but be sure  you're using traditional black powder (Charcoal, KN03,Sulfur, and labelled for use in Muzzleloading Arms)  like Goex, Scheutzen, Jack's,  Graf's, Swiss etc and not a BP substitute like Triple 7 or Black Magic and be absolutely sure you do not use modern smokeless powder like Bullseye or Unique just because it's black in color. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:52:00 PM by SCLoyalist »

Cannonball

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »
As to what type of shooting... mostly it will be plinking, either at the local club with friends or during reenactments and rendevous' then once I'm comfortable with my weapon I'll look into hunting.

As for caliber... probably .45 to .50 caliber percussion, but will depend on what gun catches my fancy. Unfortunately $$$ will be the biggest factor to getting started. I already have two pretty expensive hobbies (motorcycles and medieval recreation).

Good thing is I have a good canvas tent and have some skills with leatherworking... so we'll see.

I'll check out the link also.

Thanks,

Cannonball

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
When you decide how many grains you will use pm me and i will send you an antler measure. Kind of a welcome to the club thing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:19:31 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
Just buy one of everything. You're going to end up with it anyway ;) ;) ;)

Cannonball

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
When you decide how many grains you will use m me and i will send you an antler measure. Kind of a welcome to the club thing.

Thanks Rob. I look forward to the next adventure...