Author Topic: Nice Jaeger @ Upcoming Auction  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Nice Jaeger @ Upcoming Auction
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
Nice looking antique Jaeger with  sliding wooden patchbox lid. Says American. I don't know how you can tell for sure. Nice anyway, would be a great addition to a Kentucky Rifle Collection. They also have a steel barreled Blunderbuss. .
https://secure.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=2623M++++682+&refno=++963631
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:18:17 PM by Avlrc »

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Nice Jaeger @ Upcoming Auction
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:53:32 PM »
I wonder why they think it's American made? Looks like a regular Euro Jaeger to me...

John
John Robbins

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »
+1
Andover, Vermont

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:52 AM »
American?  And that is because . . . .?
Wayne Elliott

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »
Well I was going to bid on it, but my investment did not come in. None of my numbers were any good on Powerball ;D.

Offline Breadhead

• Common sense is uncommon.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »
Talk about scary...  From the same auction.

https://secure.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=2623M++++692+&refno=++903496&image=6

Hmm... marked 1776... multiple forts map horn.  I'd sure bet it was modern being passed off as a relic.  Maybe its the $800 - $1200 that gives it away to me...

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:05:32 AM »
I've been to a couple of auctions with arms in them at Skinner's... I am reasonably certain they have no one on their staff who knows anything at all about the subject. They are great on clocks, furniture etc. but I suspect they take what the owner says as gospel when it comes to antique arms.
Many years ago I was offered a Henry Pratt NE rifle. It was cut down and converted but I still liked it. I think I offered the lady $500 for it, which was a strong price then and probably still is for a NE rifle in that condition. She told me that "the lady at Skinner's told me it was a Kentucky Rifle and worth at least $2500!" There's no arguing with that. I told her she had better bring it right back to Skinner's and have them sell it. At one of their auctions I bid on a a bit rough but intact steel mounted French fowler made at Tulle... it had very tastefully chiseled mounts and some carving around the tang... probably ca. 1760, very graceful and so much nicer, to my eye, than the over decorated late 18th century guns. It was described as a "French trade gun."

I think they are a good company to do business with but you are completely on your own in making any decision... my own feeling is that if you have to rely on the auctioneer's description, you probably shouldn't be buying at auction.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:11:23 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »
I could be wrong, not being able to see the whole thing.  I think it is a little shiny and not rough enough to look the part. 

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »
The Jaeger looks like one of those European guns that were kept in a gun room or some rich landowners castle. I still like it. I had one once that had   great relief carving,wooden trigger guard  and a great hunt scene engraved on the lock plate.It was made about 1730. Sold it to buy a local rifle. They are wonderful rifles and under appreciated in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:29:28 AM by Avlrc »

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:12:38 AM »
Someone else must have liked it also. I see it went for Six Grand.