Author Topic: Funky Iron Mounted Rifle on the Blog Spot  (Read 13806 times)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Funky Iron Mounted Rifle on the Blog Spot
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
Art and Jan have some photos postedon the Blog Spot  today of a really unusual iron mounted southern rifle.  The flip out bayonet in the toe of the buttstock and the iron strapping/decoration running beneath the comb on each side, as well as some of the other iron work, are very unusual. I saw the gun at Norris but did not get a chance to talk to the owner much - I seem to recall something about it possibly being a South Carolina (?) piece but might be way off.  Maybe one of you other folks who frequent that show can add a bit more information. But it is really and intersting, and appealing, gun as well.  Check it out.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Guy
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:28:46 PM by G-Man »

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Funky Iron Mounted Rifle on the Blog Spot
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »
I was not aware that Dr Frankenstein made long rifles.
 ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
 What a puzzling rifle this is. The extra trigger, or tripping device, behind the trigger guard, and what appears to be some sort of spring, cut into the toe and around under the buttplate has me totally baffled.  I have no idea what this thing was built for.

Hungry Horse

JB2

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
 :oLooks like lots of 'ingenuity' went into that rifle.  I'm sure someone thought it was a good idea at the time.  Seems the butt area of the stock went through many 'mods' and got a lot of use, but the front half is still very nice.

Offline RAT

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
So that's a bayonet... my first thought is that the gun was modified by the confederates for firing over trench walls.
Bob

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
interesting patch box... 

Isn't that bayonet on the wrong end? 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
I have no idea of the origin of this rifle but I could see some southern militia man that served or having served with Andrew Jackson in some of the Indian wars making or having made a rifle like this. Certainly looks like it was designed by a man that wanted his rifle to have a bayonet!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Sure would have been simpler to put the bayonet on in the standard fashion.  Very unique gun.  Wish
I had found it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »
This gun probably has a relativley heavy barrel - probably a lot more muzzle heavy than most guns fitted wtih bayonets.  So being able to hold it by the barrel end might have made for a faster-weilding bayonet than if it were set up the other way.

Just a thought.

Guy

SuperCracker

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52:47 PM »
Perhaps it's not intended to be used as a bayonet, but rather to spike into the ground to secure the buttstock and then rest the fore end over a log/berm/sticks for more precise shooting at long ranges.

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 07:05:31 PM »
I saw this rifle at Norris.  Guy and I both looked at it.  It is very strange.  And also as awkward as you could possibly want in an iron mounted gun.  May have been a concept piece like the Nock volley gun.   Bcck when they did not have cocktail napkins to scribble on they just cut metal and then tried to figure it out when they sobered up?
kind regards, heinz

Offline bgf

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »
Given a heavy barrel and set triggers, plus the butt-mounted switch-blade bayonet, my speculation is that it was for (what we call) "sniping" and defensive use by someone standing on a fortification.  The blade mounted on the butt would be much handier for repelling attackers coming up a ladder or steep bank than the traditional barrel mounted bayonet.  The butt stock shaping is somewhat similar to the Sheetz rifle that M. Tornichio copied, but there is a mishmash of what look like early and late features.  I doubt it is as early as Wo1812, but possibly.  Probably cobbled together for a specific use, but maybe not as useless as it might seem at first. 

Any idea what the staple behind the lock was for?

Offline bgf

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »
Oh yes, I like the patchbox.  Probably a greasehole then covered with the sliding door held in place with staples.  Gives me some ideas.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:02 AM »
I just don't see it.  Close quarters fighting, sweaty hands and trying to fight holding onto the
barrel end and thrusting the butt end toward your attacker.  I buy into the sniping idea of
planting that spike in the ground, unless it flips all the way pointing opposite the muzzle.
No pictures of the spike extended?  It looks like it's only about 7 inches long.  Pretty short
for a bayonet.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:28:54 AM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JDK

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »
Hold the gun normally and swing and thrust it.  It's called a butt stroke...but you guys knew that, right?

I like this gun a lot and it's a great example of how everything Hollywierd dreams up was thought of before.  It just looks like it came out of some strange movie.  "Sci-Fi" flintlock!!!  Wow.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 01:39:56 AM »
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was for sale,,,,,, and if I had any money....

John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 01:58:33 AM »
It's definitely 'all business'!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline art riser

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 02:55:28 AM »
if memory serves... the bayonet flips out al the way along the same plane as the barrel... handy if the first shot did not dispatch the bear...

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:24 AM »
The owner has identified it, thanks to a cartouche on the barrel, as a Charleston, SC- made rifle.  It, undoubtedly, was custom made for a buyer who had definite (and unusual) specifications.  No question it is one-of-a-kind!
Wayne Elliott

JB2

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:07 AM »
frog gigging gun?

Online Collector

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
I haven't seen a separate photo of the bayonet, but can't help but wonder if there isn't a closer relationship between the 'bayonet,' the 'eye' located behind the cock, the 'bump' in the triggerguard and the trigger.  

Could not a piece of leather or twine, threaded through these points and terminated at or pivoting somewhere along this 'bayonet' (which itself pivots/hinges at the bottom of the toe of the butt stock,) permit a 'remote' method of firing this flintlock, while not even holding it?

Intriguing, if not unusual elements to say the least.  The sliding cover secured by staples is pretty slick.  The other holes... more intriguing yet.  

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:22 PM »
Maybe a gator getter??
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:39:13 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »
Squire Boone's toothpick

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
Back when they did not have cocktail napkins to scribble on they just cut metal and then tried to figure it out when they sobered up?

My vote for tag line of 2012.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
2nd vote on that!