Author Topic: Funky Iron Mounted Rifle on the Blog Spot  (Read 13715 times)

Offline Collector

Re: Funky Iron Mounted Rifle on the Blog Spot
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 12:36:32 AM »
The so-called 'bayonet' makes more sense as a 'stake,' as proposed, earlier, by Suzkat, to position and plant the butt, at different angles of inclination, than to be used as a defensive close-quarters weapon against man or beast.  Too many other, more stable, options were available to a man who simply wanted a 'bayonet.'

Frog gigging and gators?  Indeed...  The work, on this piece, may be inventive in appearance, but it was completed and finished with considerable purpose, by a reasoning 19th C. mind.  I'm doubtful it was an afterthought.

Having spent a considerable time, in the field, I can assure you that drawings made in dirt, with sticks, will suffice for design work, when napkins aren't available.  And, regardless the period, I still think the common man put a sufficient value on his time and his available materials, not to waste them, both, indiscriminately.

We have abundant technology, but have lost our sense of getting actual work done. 

We recognize and admire it today, as an art form, yet in it's proper context, this was a 19th. C. tool and it was expected to perform work.

But, you already knew that...  :P

Offline PPatch

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 04:40:32 AM »
Everyone is calling that butt thingee a bayonet, have we proof of that? It looks to me as if it has a lug on the "point" instead of a point for stabbing. The lug comes up through a plate and has a "L" shaped key. The plate has a handle and a screw that is forward of the lug, that seems to be the way to deploy the "bayonet." Unscrew, take out the key, push the lug down, slide the plate - device deployed. Now tighten it all back up and stow the little key. Pretty involved for close combat. I know dang well I would loose that tiny key, often.

I am thinking trench works and sniping with long waits between shots, Petersburg style. Note the patched round hole on the right side of the stock about 2/3rds from the buttplate, round, filled with a dowel it looks like. that could have served as another aid. Say with a rod sticking out - Position the gun, use the rod and butt plate thing to steady the gun and keep it aimed - perhaps at an enemy embrasure, and wait until someone shows then touch off the weapon. The only problem with all of that is reloading, you would have to undo all of your hard work.

But, snipers are a patient lot, underhanded, sneaky and have no honor IMHO.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »
Both the Army and USMC snipers are some of the finest anti idiot
systems on the face of the earth. Ask the Somali pirates about Navy
SEAL snipers.They be good at what they do,eh boss?

Bob Roller

IKE

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
Neat gun. A lot of work went into this one at the time. I really like the box lid. This gun fits right in with some of my weird work. THANKS Art & Jan

Eitnier Rifles
Iron Mounted Southern Guns

Birddog6

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »
I have never seen one like it .  My guess it that is is a sniper rifle. You pull the pin, push the lil plate forward, that releases the iron leg. Flip that leg back & it locks into position. Lay up in a tree, this would be nice to have to rest the butt of the rifle while waiting for the target to show.  Also possible it is adjustable & used to elevate the butt in a ground position. Would really like to examine it in hand. Quite a unique rifle.

Keith Lisle

Offline JDK

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
Heinz said he and Guy examined this rifle at Norris.  Perhaps he can chime in again and comment on this butt "contraption" and it's construction.  There's a lot of conjecture here....some of which could probably be dispelled if we knew how it works.

Any chance someone here knows the owner and additional pictures could be provided?  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

timM

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
Charming rifle!  I also wonder if this rifle hadn't been modified as an alarm, trap or ambush piece?  Looking at the staple behind the tail of the lock along with the contour of the wood above the staple, I see how it conceivably could route a trigger trip line line forward of the muzzle.  And as others have mentioned, the folded blade as a spike to anchor the toe of the stock?

It would be interesting to see photos of the blade and to know if there is any provision to lock the blade in one particular position.  To me, it seems impractical as a bayonet and the mounting weak for that purpose.  tim

Offline art riser

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:59 AM »
New information now on the blog.

Offline JDK

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 06:00:39 AM »
Thanks for bringing our attention to the update.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Collector

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
Any chance that we can see (representative) photos of this device/appurtenance in an extended/deployed position?  And, if possible, a bit more on the method that both retains and releases it, for use. 

From all appearances, I think it's remarkable, that it remained wholly intact.