Author Topic: Very Interesting Flask from 1500s  (Read 5437 times)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Very Interesting Flask from 1500s
« on: December 26, 2008, 03:21:42 AM »
Not much really early pre flint lock stuff gets brought up here, but I had to post the photos and info about this flask in the Beyer Clock Museum in Zurich Switzerland....no, this isnt some Hollywood prop or a new Steampunk gadget, its a real powder flask.

And here is the tag that accompanies the museum photo:
Gun Powder Flask with built-in Sundial
Southern Germany ca. 1590
Ulrich Schniep (1555-1588), Munich
Round Powder Flask made of rosewood with inlaid and engraved rosette-shaped ornaments ofbrass and bone. The initials in large letters VS (Ulrich Schniep) made of bone surround the centre. A "Small Clock" with twice 1-12 ho urs in red and black dials is situated on the outer ring. The small funnel ofbone is closed with a springy lid made of brass. Below the centre under the engraved lid with a transversally placed hinge, there is a horizontal sundial with indication ofthe hours from six o'clock in the morning to six o'clock in the evening. An auxiliary line is drawn for the 5th respectively 7th hour (latter without indication ofthe number) ofthe day. Small compass with North-South indication but without correction for the magnetic pole. The string gnomon (no longer attached) is stretched by opening the lid and is only valid for one latitude. On the side ofthe Flask there is a lid opening to a funnelshaped small pipe which is placed on the socket and allows for an easier filling-up ofthe Powder Flask. The Flask can be carried over the shoulder with astrap slung through both loops situated on the sides.

diameter: 10,8 cms 

TCA
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 03:22:54 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Very Interesting Flask from 1500s
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
Tim,

Aren't those old round powder flasks interesting? I have photos of maybe 25 different flasks of this kind, but none with a compass built in. Even so most of them would be considered high art when compared to a simple powder horn made from a cow horn.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
 That is really neat. I would like to see the gun that it went with. What kind of gun would it have been? Would there have been a bag or just pockets?

Tim C.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »
Maybe a Red Rider b.b. gun, and thats the compass in the stock with this thing which tells time?

Just kidding....most likely a high end wheel lock ?...should be a a spanner though, so maybe a fancy match lock....real fancy....and a pouch is not out of the question..
TCA

R. Hare

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
Very nice flask.

I don't think I've seen a round flask with a sun dial before.
Mr TC Albert,
Re. the wheel-lock spanner, I've not seen a round flask with one of these either, but maybe the owner of this flask had a self-spanning wheellock!...if not the regular loose spanner...
I do have rather an interest in matchlock hunting arms though, and find the idea of a "high-end" matchlock to go with such a flask rather fascinating.

Richard.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »
its possible no bag existed and justa  bandoleer of what we now call "apostles" seeing how many guns of that period were shot without patch, and there was often a small ball bag attached to the bandoleer, if there were to be patched often it was sewn on leather or cloth and no need for loose patching to be carried
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:28:03 PM »
Two construction questions about this round horn:   ???

1.  How did they secure the horn inlays?  I don't see pins and assume the wood is relatively thin.  For the inlays to stay put all these years I would have assumed a mechanical fastening of some sort but would they have used hide glue or similar?

2.  What is the little brass dome shaped thing on the right side of the horn?   

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »
I think thats the lid over the funnel thingy for easy filling?
Just a guess?
TCA

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:45:48 AM »
About 15 years ago a fellow out in California had a very large collection of these horns. He passed away and the estate was sold by Little John's Auction Service; sorry I can't remember the year. The horns were illustrated in one of John's splendid auction catalogs and they probably sold for significant dollars.
If interested, contact the auction house and ask about the Hetrick flask collection. They may still have some catalogs on hand.
These are works of art and are in a class by themselves, all right.
Dick